I messed up my Seam Sealing

JigStick

WKR
The weather is nice today, so i decided to seam seal my 16 man Seek Outside Tipi. In all my excitement for this wonderful task, I pitched the Tipi normally. Then took a ladder inside and started painting the seams.

Im halfway down from the peek to the guy lines. Before I remembered I needed to pitch it "inside out", to seal the OUTSIDE seams.

My question its, does it really make a difference? Should I continue and finish sealing from the inside? Or should I wait till what I did already dries, pitch it inside out, and start over?

WKR
Yeah, I always do both sides. You're fine

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I didn't pitch mine inside out.
I did seal the very top portion, inside and outside. But the rest of the tipi I sealed the outside only with tent pitched normal.
My tipi is a Redcliffe not a hotel like yours though
lol

Shrek

WKR
I just do the outside. Haven't had a leak except where I missed a spot. I pitch it normally but it has been Sawtooths both times so I can reach all of it standing on the ground.

Do they pitch these bigger tents inside out because of reach areas is difficult when set right way?
Inside out gets you access to all of the seam area?

GIS

Lil-Rokslider
I seam seal both sides too.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

WKR
Do they pitch these bigger tents inside out because of reach areas is difficult when set right way?
Inside out gets you access to all of the seam area?
Exactly right. Can't lean a ladder against a tent but you can set one up inside. Needs to be pitched tight for proper penetration of the threads and needle holes.

It's time and space consuming, hence companies passing that chore to the consumer. Tents would be even more expensive, by alot, if they did this for you as a standard practice.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

OP
JigStick

JigStick

WKR
Well this has been a two day chore. Ive gone through 4 tubes of Silnet. I did the inside just using my finger and rubbing it along all the seams. I started on the outside today, working from the ground up, hitting all the tie down points, guy outs, and seams as far up as I can reach using the little paint brush that came with the Silnet. Ill let this shit dry then flip it inside out and get the higher seams on a ladder.

What a chore. I should have paid Seek Outside to do this.

I mixed my own up from mineral spirits and silicone and just sprayed it thru my paint gun and did the whole tent- way easier than just the seams and it left a beautiful even sheen to the whole tent- no ladder needed, took about 5 minutes

LOL
Just kiddin of course
my little redcliffe wasn't bad, but your size tent is huge I could only imagine
At least you know it was done to your level of perfection.
Not that SO wouldn't do a great job, but now you know you know, it is done perfectly and right.

Skeeter

FNG
I mixed the Silnet with odorless mineral spirits to get a thin syrup consistency, then applied to seams with a one-inch foam brush. Saw this on YouTube and it worked good. Seems like it took less than 2 hours to finish my 8-man.