I Need a new fixed blade knife

OP
FlyGuy

FlyGuy

WKR
Here is another knife that looks interesting, the TUR carbon pro from Goat knives. Not sure what “Nitro V” steel is tho tbh?

You can’t cheat the mountain

I really like my Ruana 5AD which is made in Bonner Montana. It has a 4" blade and holds an excellent edge. It's a great all-around knife for taking care of game.

1602157380214.png

I also have the Ruana Steelhead model which has a 3 1/2" blade. Everything about the knife I like just as I do the 5AD shown above. Ruana is an excellent knife built one at a time. The story about the Ruana is worth looking at also.

1602157492246.png

GueroUlt

FNG
I broke down a bull elk last year with the bench made hidden canyon and it’s still sharp enough to shave my arm hairs

mcseal2

WKR
I have tried some of the ultralights but for everything except caping or skinning out a head for a skull mount I just like a larger blade.
My Dozier Pro Guide with a 4 3/4” blade is 9.3oz in its kydex sheath. It holds a great edge and is easy to use and hang onto. It is capable of camp or fire use as well. The D2 is easy to keep an edge on on hunts like my recent caribou hunt when we processed 3 animals with a little 1oz ceramic steel I carry. The toothy edge of D2 slices game exceptionally well. On hunts like my AK hunts an injury is serious. A knife that’s a little bigger and easier for me to handle feels like the right tool for me.

Its hollow ground and a lot of discussion can be found online about how tough it is, if it should be batoned, etc. I am not to worried about any of that. If I ever have to go to that length to get a fire its an emergency, I’ll use it and see what happens. I’ve never had to. The hollow grind helps make it work really well on game. I do carry a pocket knife or multitool also depending on the hunt that could finish the job in a pinch if I ever did damage the Dozier.

Maybe its just me, but a lot of my game has been taken when light is fading and weather is moving in. The muleys my buddy and I shot last year both came on the front end of snow storms, one right at dark and miles from camp. 2 of our caribou this year were butchered in a cold rain. The few ounces of bigger knife make me faster and more sure processing those animals. Longer blade, more belly, and more cutting surface. In my hands its just more efficient and faster.

I also like the longer blade for filleting the silver skin off the loin while cooking our celebratory meal after a kill.