I need a new prairie rifle

I'm definitely a "gun guy". However I prefer to bow hunt whenever I can. Bowhunting is hard, but it seems rifle hunting can be just as hard especially when pursing a higher age class deer with a bunch of Fudds running around.

My current rifles are pretty plain Jane and they'll kill but they're not that accurate. I'd really like a new factory rifle vs dumping coin into making these guns shoot.

Kinda liking the looks of the 6.5 PRC. Has anyone played with this yet? I do hand load and there's a lot of factory available locally. Probably only need a Creedmoor but I'd like the added velocity to help with the wind.

With a budget of maybe a grand after all summer whoring out my plasma I could probably scrape up a grand for a rifle.

Usually the way I hunt is to post up on the river bluffs and just sit and watch. Shots inside 300. But with a new rifle I'd be wanting to learn to go further. Maybe 400 or a touch over.

I've looked at the Ruger Long Range Magnum. It's definitely not a gun I'd hike all day with. But it seems like a good gun for learning the LR game on.

Also the Bergara Wilderness or a Savage? Maybe the Savage Proof? How's the Browning Hells Canyon?

My buddys who shoot LR are like buy a Seekins or go home or buy a custom. There's no way I can blow 4k on a rifle and scope or more to shoot a couple tags with a season.

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I drank the Tikka koolaid and happy that I did. I’d think about the stainless 6.5 CM with a SWFA ultralight. Under $1k easy and gobbles cheap ammo. Rokslide made me do it but I’m happy I did. I have several dozen guns, been shooting since the early 1980s, and reload so this wasn’t a first. Check out the thread below that pushed me in. Some real sharpshooters in there that offer convincing info.

Dcrafton

WKR
I'm definitely a "gun guy". However I prefer to bow hunt whenever I can. Bowhunting is hard, but it seems rifle hunting can be just as hard especially when pursing a higher age class deer with a bunch of Fudds running around.

My current rifles are pretty plain Jane and they'll kill but they're not that accurate. I'd really like a new factory rifle vs dumping coin into making these guns shoot.

Kinda liking the looks of the 6.5 PRC. Has anyone played with this yet? I do hand load and there's a lot of factory available locally. Probably only need a Creedmoor but I'd like the added velocity to help with the wind.

With a budget of maybe a grand after all summer whoring out my plasma I could probably scrape up a grand for a rifle.

Usually the way I hunt is to post up on the river bluffs and just sit and watch. Shots inside 300. But with a new rifle I'd be wanting to learn to go further. Maybe 400 or a touch over.

I've looked at the Ruger Long Range Magnum. It's definitely not a gun I'd hike all day with. But it seems like a good gun for learning the LR game on.

Also the Bergara Wilderness or a Savage? Maybe the Savage Proof? How's the Browning Hells Canyon?

My buddys who shoot LR are like buy a Seekins or go home or buy a custom. There's no way I can blow 4k on a rifle and scope or more to shoot a couple tags with a season.

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

My buddy is the Browning product manager and this is his Browning 6.5PRC with factory loads, 5 shots.
60daee066dcdb92d8c453876ecc641da.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BuckSnort

WKR
A Tikka T3x in 6.5 or 7/08 and a SWFA 6x will total up to around $900-$1000... Then buy $500 worth of ammo for it and shoot the shit out of it.. Then laugh at your friends who spent $4k on their customs...lol

sneaky

"DADDY"
The Browning 6.5PRC gives you a 7 twist barrel so if you reload you can shoot the heavy 6.5 bullets and get the best out of those ballistics. The Savage Proof 6.5PRC is lighter, but over your $1k budget. Tikka makes a good shooting rifle, but I hate their stocks and ergonomics don't feel right to me. I'm not buying a rifle just to throw away the stock to make it feel good to me when I can buy one that doesn't need that tinkering with to work. Just let us know what you decide on, buying new guns is always fun.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk