I need a new release

rm06

WKR
Long story long... my first compound bow was an Archery Research 34 with non adjustable cams and the draw length was way too long which led me to hand releases in an attempt to shorten it up a bit. After trying a few bows I did get into a new Hoyt Carbon Defiant two years ago now which is a far better bow for more reasons than I have space to list here. I feel like hand releases are more natural anatomically, thumb triggers or tension, and easier for me to pull through a shot without the temptation to punch an index trigger release. This in turn led to a wicked case of tennis elbow in my draw arm which still isn't healed as using hand releases just puts far too much tension on my forearm in an attempt to hang on to it through the draw cycle.

I have owned a few wrist strap releases, mostly cheaper models, and still have a couple of Tru Ball releases which are ok. I did try a Spot Hogg Wiseguy last year which I found to be the highest quality release and strap but the trigger was way too light, maybe something I can get used to? I will be giving the hand releases a break for the foreseeable future but I need a quality replacement. Is there an equal to the Wiseguy out there with a heavier trigger?

Appreciate your thoughts.

Trial153

WKR
Find a used or new discontinued scoot rhino XT.
Other the that you can look at carter quicky 2 plus and change the spring to a hevay spring. Just know that with a heavy spring it won't self reset

MikeStrong

Lil-Rokslider
See if you can try a few at an archery shop and ask what sort of options there are with each. I think the Tru Ball Beast has a stiffer spring that comes with it, and the Carter releases are adjustable as well from what I understand.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

weaver

WKR
I have gone through a bunch of different index finger releases the last couple years trying to find the right one for me. Carter Like Mike is by far my favorite.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Btaylor

WKR
I love my fletchhunter but their straps suck so I put mine on a Scott buckle strap. Been killing stuff with that release for a long time, seems like I got it back around 1990 or so.

OR Archer

WKR
Spot Hogg Wiseguy
Tru Ball Short n Sweet
B3 Claw
Tru Fire Hardcore
Carter

All of these are great releases. Visit your local shop and try as many as you can

coyyota

WKR
Classified Approved
I like the Carter RX1. Can set it pretty heavy with the change out springs that come with it. Really crisp break. Have heard the Carter Like Mike is good option too.

If you do try the RX1 and decided to put the heavier spring in you'll have to remove a small e-clip. If you do I'd suggest just replacing that e-clip. It's a 5/32", they're at any Lowe's/Home Depot/ect. Tough to get off and back on without bending or stretching them.

View attachment 81920

OP
rm06

rm06

WKR
I'm sure you know this but the wise guy has a adjustable trigger.

Yeah it does, however, I could never get more tension out of it, just more creep. Strong possibility the problem is between my ears :cool:

Tons of awesome suggestions here though, thank you guys a bunch, I have some research to do on all of these and hopefully test out a few. I think a lot of my issues are trying to change over from one style to another and they are very different in terms of feel and anchor point.

DougP

Lil-Rokslider
I tried a bunch this year. Sold a wise guy for same reason as you. I bought and like a truball short and sweet. I then got a good deal on a Like Mike, so I decided to try it out.

From the first group, my groups were tighter with the Like Mike. It’s a winner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheTone

WKR
I've shot a carter two shot with a heavy spring for about 12 years. Trigger is awesome, super crisp and with the heavy spring allows me to pull through the shot. I've strongly considered buying a like mike for the open jaw

HookUp

WKR
I have tried nearly all of them and found the Carter RX-1 and Carter quickie are in a league of their own. I am only shooting the quickie now for a hunting strap. I also keep a hinge and tension release to keep my brain guessing.

OP
rm06

rm06

WKR
I had enough Club Points to order a Carter RX1 and received it yesterday afternoon. I can get nearly 20 yards in my basement and managed to pile a bunch of arrows into nearly the same hole with it. I will try out the heavier springs today, I'm looking forward to this release.

Zac

WKR
The Wiseguy has probably single handedly caused more target panic than any other factor known to man. I don't know what in the world SH was thinking with that trigger.