I need a serious sleeping bag

I've decided that I need a big boy negative temp rated bag. I'm sick and tired of freezing my ass of in a zero degree synthetic bag at 30 degrees wearing puffy layers top and bottom on an Exped Downmat 7. I obviously sleep very cold and I'm tired of being miserable in decent conditions.

Looking at a Western Mountaineering Lynx or Puma, any other recommendations?

Bearsears

WKR
Stone Glacier Chillkoot 0. Very high quality and actually tested ISO 23537 at lower limit of zero.

I have a 15 and Im pretty much roasting in it until it gets below 20 degrees

OP
W
Stone Glacier Chillkoot 0. Very high quality and actually tested ISO 23537 at lower limit of zero.

I have a 15 and Im pretty much roasting in it until it gets below 20 degrees
I've looked at those but I'll be buying a USA down bag this time around.

Lawnboi

WKR
I've looked at those but I'll be buying a USA down bag this time around.
Use some caution going balls to the walls on temp rating of a western mountaineering bag. Sweating all night is almost as bad as being cold.

Personally I have a versalite for my cold weather bag and use it in conjunction with a woobie when it gets really cold. Iv taken that setup down to single digits to zero in my base layers quite a few times.

The western mountaineering hype is real.

OP
W
Use some caution going balls to the walls on temp rating of a western mountaineering bag. Sweating all night is almost as bad as being cold.

Personally I have a versalite for my cold weather bag and use it in conjunction with a woobie when it gets really cold. Iv taken that setup down to single digits to zero in my base layers quite a few times.

The western mountaineering hype is real.
I hear you, the zero degree bag I had was a highly regarded USA synthetic that everyone said was a furnace and the perfect choice for my needs. Froze my ass off in the 30's, didn't even sweat in temps in the 40's.

What’s your expected temperature(s) that you’ll be sleeping in?

WM bags’ ratings do seem to be pretty accurate for comfort. Most WM bags have been tested and their EN values are under their FAQ.

I have the MegaLite and Antelope. Taken the Antelope to the teens and been toasty warm. Taken the MegaLite to the mid-20s and been warm. I usually sleep in lightweight merino tops and bottoms; more to keep the bag clean than for warmth.

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
WM bags are pretty true to temp .. so dont go overboard.

The Microfiber shell is likely the best combo of water resistance and breathability out there.

A lot of bags are NOT true to temp, and synthetic bags have a tendency to loose rating quickly ..so I would NOT let a bad experience with one bag , lead you to double down and make a mistake on the next bag.

OP
W
What’s your expected temperature(s) that you’ll be sleeping in?

WM bags’ ratings do seem to be pretty accurate for comfort. Most WM bags have been tested and their EN values are under their FAQ.

I have the MegaLite and Antelope. Taken the Antelope to the teens and been toasty warm. Taken the MegaLite to the mid-20s and been warm. I usually sleep in lightweight merino tops and bottoms; more to keep the bag clean than for warmth.
That's the problem, there's good hunts and dates that I've avoided due to expected temps of 10-20 overnight and I knew my sleep system couldn't handle it and I'd puss out after one night. Plenty of folks have a much higher tolerance for cold than I do, I'm bundled up like a mofo all fall any time that I'm not active.

*zap*

WKR
Bodywarmers in the bag, hot water bottle in the bag, if possible heated vest worn while sleeping on low....zip up all the way and use the hood correctly. In very cold only your face/mouth should be uncovered.

OP
W
Bodywarmers in the bag, hot water bottle in the bag, if possible heated vest worn while sleeping on low....zip up all the way and use the hood correctly. In very cold only your face/mouth should be uncovered.
There's got to be a bag that'll keep me warm with reasonable layers on vs body warmers and a heated vest. There's no way I'm backpacking that kind of gear. I haven't done the hot nalgene yet but I'm going to, I plan to buy a bag asap and test it this Jan/Feb and get my sleep system dialed in for spring bear/next fall before I freeze my ass off AGAIN and have to sell gear and spend more money AGAIN.

*zap*

WKR
^ those are just things to do if you need to do them....a wm bag should do you well. If the bag I bring is too warm I use it as a quilt...open zipper to allow a 18" or so footbox and place bag zippers down. That works well for me and if I need too just get in the bag and zip up. That allows me a very warm bag on not so cold hunts for a good safety margin.

Lawnboi

WKR
I hear you, the zero degree bag I had was a highly regarded USA synthetic that everyone said was a furnace and the perfect choice for my needs. Froze my ass off in the 30's, didn't even sweat in temps in the 40's.
I did similar and went too warm when I first went to a higher end down bag, it didn’t work out well. Sweating out a down bag over a couple days causes a lot of moisture in the bag, that can bleed to the down over the e course of a week.

Part of the reason I went to a two piece setup with the woobie and 10 degree WM. Keeps me comfortable around those oct/nov average temp swing of 40-0 degrees. Though if it’s above freezing I have a hard time in the versalite with sweating. Iv also got a megalite 30 degree bag and use it similarly if temps deem it acceptable.

Either way, western mountaineering makes a hell of a bag. I didn’t think I was going to be as impressed when I got one, they are very well made and designed bags.

That's the problem, there's good hunts and dates that I've avoided due to expected temps of 10-20 overnight and I knew my sleep system couldn't handle it and I'd puss out after one night. Plenty of folks have a much higher tolerance for cold than I do, I'm bundled up like a mofo all fall any time that I'm not active.
The Badger is popular for those with larger frames. It’s a 15 degree bag which covers a lot of scenarios especially with your pad.

I’ve used my Antelope in temperatures 30-40 degrees over its rating. I just unzip it if I’m getting too warm. But I specifically picked up the MegaLite for “warmer” temperatures.

OP
W
The Badger is popular for those with larger frames. It’s a 15 degree bag which covers a lot of scenarios especially with your pad.
I know that The Badger and Kodiak get alot of love around here, but after freezing my ass off in a very well regarded zero degree bag I'm hesitant to spend $700 on a similar rating. It's not a budget concern, I'll spend whatever it takes to be warm.

I know that The Badger and Kodiak get alot of love around here, but after freezing my ass off in a very well regarded zero degree bag I'm hesitant to spend $700 on a similar rating. It's not a budget concern, I'll spend whatever it takes to be warm.
Buy one and try it under the conditions you are looking to use it in. If you are still cold you should be able to sell it for little to no loss.

On a related note, when you have been out and gotten cold, where did you get cold? Did it come from the bottom or the top?

OP
W
On a related note, when you have been out and gotten cold, where did you get cold? Did it come from the bottom or the top?
All over Idaho in chasing spring bear and deer/elk scouting at the snow line. Not sure if I got cold on top or bottom, I just remember being miserable enough to not want to do it again. Lately I've been pussing out and staying in my trailer and doing day hunts from camp because I cant stay warm in my backpacking sleep system.

I can and should be spending way more time in the back country scouting and hunting but my sleep system is holding me back. I've got some good country right in my back yard but I always fall back on the excuse of being cold at night, I'm sick of excuses, I need to get out there.

csutton7

FNG
Take it for what it's worth, but I love my Wiggys bag. I have had the Ultima Thule with the Overbag for a number of years and have never been disappointed. They aren't the lightest, but I've backpacked mine in, so it's not the heaviest either. I've unzipped it many nights in Oct and Nov due to being too warm in my teepee, while my buddies are bundled to the hilt in their zero to below zero rated bags. You can do a search and see what everyone says about them.

Blandry

WKR
I have a SG 0deg bag and it's the lightweight vs warmth champ.. however western mountaineering makes some amazing bags and gore windstopper bag is something I'll prob upgrade to.

IMO you can't go too low on temp ratings only too high. Temp ratings are based on survival, not keeping you toasty warm.

I will even use a thermolite sea to summit fleece liner in my 0 bag on some 20 deg nights.

forgot to add, I will throw some shake handwarmers in my bag at the foot on really cold nights but yeah a 0 bag is not zero 'comfortable'

Last edited: