I need a serious sleeping bag

That's the problem, there's good hunts and dates that I've avoided due to expected temps of 10-20 overnight and I knew my sleep system couldn't handle it and I'd puss out after one night. Plenty of folks have a much higher tolerance for cold than I do, I'm bundled up like a mofo all fall any time that I'm not active.
Buddy heater on a 20 lb. bottle in my canvas tent, combined with a insulated Thermarest pad and down Sierra Designs bag cured that for me. Slept through many a single digit night last year at 9k in that 3rd season blizzard in CO.

Sierra Designs makes good bags for the money. I've been very happy with mine.

OP
W
Buddy heater on a 20 lb. bottle in my canvas tent, combined with a insulated Thermarest pad and down Sierra Designs bag cured that for me. Slept through many a single digit night last year at 9k in that 3rd season blizzard in CO.
This is for backpacking. I've got a camp trailer and a wall tent with a huge wood stove that easily keeps heat all night for truck camping. I could use a 50 degree bag in there and be fine.

OP
W
Well, I just called dibs on a 10 degree FF bag in the classifieds. If I freeze my ass off again, I'll simply place the blame on everyone in this thread instead of being an adult and taking responsibility myself!

Thanks for all the input.
Quoting myself like a real idiot!

The deal in the classifieds didn't pan out so I placed an order for a zero degree FF Ibis today. They said it would ship in 3-4 weeks so it should still give me plenty of time to test in cold weather and get my sleep system sorted out properly. Also scored a SO shelter recently and I'll be getting a stove so that I can promptly burn holes in a $700 sleeping bag.

T28w

WKR
Come back and post an update when u test it out. I’d like to hear how it does.

500000KV

Lil-Rokslider
Quoting myself like a real idiot!

The deal in the classifieds didn't pan out so I placed an order for a zero degree FF Ibis today. They said it would ship in 3-4 weeks so it should still give me plenty of time to test in cold weather and get my sleep system sorted out properly. Also scored a SO shelter recently and I'll be getting a stove so that I can promptly burn holes in a $700 sleeping bag.
I bought a SO redcliff and a Ti stove for it last year. gamechanger going to sleep in the backcountry, so warm, made me wonder why I punished myself for so long with no heat. I just picked up a SG 0* bag, curious how it works this coming year. Be testing it out soon.
I used tyvek and made footprint cover for the floor of the shelter, and made a tyvek bivy sack to put my sleeping pad and bag into to keep it cleanish. Make sure you get a liner for the SO, they do condensate.

324matt

Lil-Rokslider
So for the WM Kodiak vs Badger vs Sequoia which does everyone prefer? not a lot of differences in those models

OP
W
So for the WM Kodiak vs Badger vs Sequoia which does everyone prefer? not a lot of differences in those models
I don't own any of them but I just finished a ton of research before my recent purchase.

Badger and Kodiak are very similar size mummy bags with the Kodiak being a little bigger 2 lb 15 oz and zero degree rated. Badger 2 lb 6 oz and 15 degree rated.

Sequoia is a semi rectangular bag and much roomier than either the Kodiak or Badger, 3 lb 4 oz and rated at 5 degrees.

WeiserBucks gave good info.

Kodiak is the warmest, then the Sequoia, and lastly the Badger. This is according to their EN ratings.

*zap*

WKR
closed cell foam on top of inflatable pad is the warmest method to use an additional foam pad.

WeiserBucks gave good info.

Kodiak is the warmest, then the Sequoia, and lastly the Badger. This is according to their EN ratings.
I've owned all 3. This is correct from my experience. I liked the room of the sequoia best. I run a Terra lite with overfill now. Will be buying another sequoia to pair with the terralite soon.

wjarrell

Lil-Rokslider
How small are you guys getting your 10-30 degree bags to compress? I too am looking for a new bag but I’m having trouble finding one the won’t take up 1/3 of the size of my 4000 pack.

Vikinger

FNG
Splurged on a Western Mountaineering in 1988 from Pine Needle in Durango. -10Deg bag I think. Was doing a lot of mountaineering and it was one of the most durable piece of gear I've ever had. Tight sewing and impeccable construction. I don't think I sleep as cold as you do! I only used it on winter climbs and snow camping. My old climbing partner still has it. Down is broken down and it's seen some miles, but still shows well made.

*zap*

WKR
I sent my age old WM bag in and they re-lofted it and added over fill.....washed it first as per their guidelines to work on bags. You would be surprised how long a good quality bag can last if you care for it correctly.

324matt

Lil-Rokslider
i just ordered the only WM kodiak 6'6" i could find on the internet. Looks like I lucked out

I went down this same rabbit hole last year and ended up going with Western Mountaineering as well. They hold up to the hype.
I originally planned to get the Kodiak but due to supply issues I had a hard time finding one. Found a good deal on a Versalite and so glad I pulled the trigger on it.

I haven’t had it to it’s limit yet but did have mornings that hit 20 with lots of snow. To be honest never even knew it was snowing or that cold till I opened the tent. Was warm and toasty in just my base layers. I’m sure I could push this bag past it’s rating no problem by layering up a bit in the bag.

Plus it comes in at 2lbs and with a small compression sack I can get it down to 7” x 10” packed space, which is a huge bonus.

Seeknelk

WKR
And if it is too warm remember to turn it into a quilt, flop a leg out , whatever to drop the heat some. I don't get this about sweating out a bag...if.your sweating , get mostly out of the dang thing😁.