I need a smaller pack that can also carry meat Exo 3500 is too bulky for Day hunts

excaliber

WKR
I've researched this quite a bit here and spent allot of time reading posts on this very topic.
I have a Exo 3500 K2 pack in Cipher but I think it's too big for what I want to do most of the time. I really don't like the height of it and the way the top hits the back of my head. I'd like something a bit smaller overall.
This pack is brand new and has never been out of the house(yet) I may keep it or move it on if I could find a workable replacement.

I'm looking for a day pack that will carry meat on occasion, is not too bulky but could still carry needed clothes on late season hunts I was looking at the MR Pintler and Sawtooth but it's hard to see how they fit height wise. For the amount of time spent hunting and actually packing meat I think I'd be better off with a smaller pack.

One nice thing about the Exo 3500 is I can get the weapon carrier and carry my bow or rifle easily. I don't see how to carry these on the smaller MR packs like the Popups or the Pintler.

Has anyone here had the same issues with the height and bulk of the EXO packs? I'm not used to having a headrest behind my head all the time.

The Sawtooth looks like it would be more along the lines of what I'm wanting.

wapitibob

WKR
Find a frame you like, with integrated meat shelf, then have pods8 make a custom bag for you. Physical dimensions for about 600 ci will work fine for a day pack. (mine is close to 9x17x4) The mtl stretches so actual usable volume is way higher than what the dimensions would indicate.

I bought a nice Osprey for day hunts but ended up carrying my Exo 4800 for everything. I just strap it down smaller for day hunts.

Last edited:
OP
E

excaliber

WKR
I'm looking for a pack already put together(Frame and bag) 600 ci is way to small when I need to be able to carry clothes, water bladder, and other items. I was thinking more like the 2200-2700 ci

FlyingDutchman

Lil-Rokslider
Have you tried it lidless? I would think if you sucked the bag in with the compression straps and then just clipped the roll top clips into the front lid clips it might get out of the way of your head...save you some $$

Randle

WKR
X2 is great small daypack that will get your first load out and is very short and comfortable for dayhunts

Try a smaller exo bag, I hunt with a 2000 bag a lot. Still use the lid. I haven't used my 3500 bag much, but it does contact the back of my head a good bit with the lid loaded.

OP
E

excaliber

WKR
Have you tried it lidless? I would think if you sucked the bag in with the compression straps and then just clipped the roll top clips into the front lid clips it might get out of the way of your head...save you some $$

I tried without the lid but I carry so much in the lid that removing it doesn't work for me. I like the quick access to the lid.

X2 is great small daypack that will get your first load out and is very short and comfortable for dayhunts

I had and sold the X2 before going with the Exo 3500. It's too short of a pack and all the weight sits on your shoulders. I'm 5'10" and there was no weight on my hips. I carried meat out with it a few times and it prompted the move to the Exo 3500.

Randle

WKR
Gotcha , same here I went from an X2 to EXO 2000 , but still use the X2 once in a while. maybe a mystery ranch pop up would be in order, I have been looking at those.

OP
E

excaliber

WKR
Only when I push my head back does it do that but I still don't like the lid being that high. I'm going to see how much torso adjustment I have to see if I can lower it several inches.

Only when I push my head back does it do that but I still don't like the lid being that high. I'm going to see how much torso adjustment I have to see if I can lower it several inches.

Your torso adjustment shouldn't change where the top of the pack is. Top of the pack is based off of the waist belt. That belt should be centered on the illiac crest. Then adjust the torso so your shoulder straps are positioned correctly.

hunt1up

WKR
I recently was intrigued by the Mystery Ranch Pop-Up for the same reason. The EXO 3500 can feel a little big in a purely day pack application. I've yet to hunt with the Pop-Up or put much weight on it but it seems pretty pretty slick. Simple and pretty compact. I'm sure a guy could rig up a weapons carrier on the rear or perhaps a Kifaru Gun Bearer on the hip belt.

I've researched this quite a bit here and spent allot of time reading posts on this very topic.
I have a Exo 3500 K2 pack in Cipher but I think it's too big for what I want to do most of the time. I really don't like the height of it and the way the top hits the back of my head. I'd like something a bit smaller overall.
This pack is brand new and has never been out of the house(yet) I may keep it or move it on if I could find a workable replacement.

I'm looking for a day pack that will carry meat on occasion, is not too bulky but could still carry needed clothes on late season hunts I was looking at the MR Pintler and Sawtooth but it's hard to see how they fit height wise. For the amount of time spent hunting and actually packing meat I think I'd be better off with a smaller pack.

One nice thing about the Exo 3500 is I can get the weapon carrier and carry my bow or rifle easily. I don't see how to carry these on the smaller MR packs like the Popups or the Pintler.

Has anyone here had the same issues with the height and bulk of the EXO packs? I'm not used to having a headrest behind my head all the time.

The Sawtooth looks like it would be more along the lines of what I'm wanting.
the EXO is fairly sleek for a full framed pack, so if you are looking for a more stream line pack, the mystery ranch popup is what you're looking for, or a kifaru stryker on a 22" frame.

I love my pop up for what you are describing, it's truly made for that scenario, the 28 would fit your needs. a MR pintler will still have the frame poking up, and the MR frames aren't as stream line as EXO frames. if you want a smaller bag, just get the small day bag from EXO, if you want a lower profile pack system, I would lean towards a pop up or kifaru stryker on their 22" military frame.... I really think you are looking for a pop up, but the stryker would be a sweet day pack too (in theory)

Wiscohunter

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Sawtooth and find it about right for a day pack. I haven't packed meat with it yet, but it handles weight well enough when training.

I don't have experience with your Exo so I can't compare

I have a seek outside peregrine, it has good storage in the external pockets on the back, plus have the base talon if I want to use it, which is like a lid on the back rather than the top. my head doesn't hit any part of the pack or frame (unless I had it loaded for a multiple day hunt)

that's another option i'll throw out. it's a 3500CI pack that compresses down really well, and is very light, and very sleek when loaded for a day hunt.

it's a really sweet pack, would be a great do all. it doesn't fit my body well, but that's not the pack's fault. I really want to like it because it has a lot going for it, and is well constructed, but EXO packs fit me better, so I may be going back to an EXO. the SO packs fit most people well, and are very adjustable, it just doesn't fit me as well as EXO frames do.... it's another option worth considering if you want a bigger pack capable of doing a few days out of, but is low profile when you need or want it to be, with good organization of stuff you need quick access to.

scp

Lil-Rokslider
I had the K2 frame and 3500 and 2000 bags. The 2k is certainly more of a day hunt option, but you can really draw down the 3500 to be pretty darn compact. Spent many a day in the woods and high desert with the 3500 as my day pack and appreciated being able to throw in a tarp, a 3L bladder, and a jacket along with my tripod and spotter without feeling like I was busting at the seams. The 3500 has the flexibility to cover a day trip to a 3-4 day outing depending on your gear and comfort levels with no changes except wrenching down the compression straps. If I had to do it again, I’d be A-OK with going all in on the 3500 as my pack for 90% of the situations out there. Not trying to talk you back into the 3500, but I’ve ventured away and experimented with a few different bags and frames and the K2 3500 is a pretty great option for most all applications.