I need an upgrade

I have been using a hand-me-down Knight DISC .50cal that is over 20 years old. It's accuracy is awful.

At 50 yards patch and ball MOA is 20ish, powerbelts are 9 MOA, Thor are 5 MOA. That is with working up loads to find the nodes.

I would like to extend my effective range for elk past 50 yards. 150-200 yards would be amazing.

What would you suggest?

Requirements -
Colorado legal for elk
.50 cal
No scopes, pellets, nor sabots

Wants -
BH209 compatible
Thor bullet compatible

Budget - $1500ish

Thank you!

That is an easy one for me! Knight Ultra-Lite and since you are in CO. get it in 50 cal with bare primer ignition.

Follow this link - I was just out shooting one...

Hairhunter

Lil-Rokslider
Sabotloader nailed it! Really cool rifles.
2nd what Sabotloader said.Upgraded to a Ultralite,could not be more satisfied with it.Bought one for a steal last summer-it was the no sight model and I had to drill and tap the front sight screws,but it all went well.Put a Williams peep on the rear,shoots Bloodlines and 300 grain Ballistic Tips (all I have shot for bullets so far) 2 inches or better at 100 yards!

OP
DenverCountryBoy
That is an easy one for me! Knight Ultra-Lite and since you are in CO. get it in 50 cal with bare primer ignition.

Follow this link - I was just out shooting one...

Why the bare primer instead of FPJ?

Thoughts on nitride coated barrel vs plain stainless?

Why the bare primer instead of FPJ?

Thoughts on nitride coated barrel vs plain stainless?

I much prefer the bare primer set up. I feel it is by far the more reliant ignition system and it can be very clean system in the breech. The FPJ's leak a lot of blow back. As with the FPJ's the bare primer system can be waterproof.

Nitride is worth every Penney!!!

I use this one during the Idaho rifle season

1-19-Knight-Ulite-Nitride.jpg

Clean primers from shimmed Bare Primer setup

1-19-Spent-Primers.jpg

Last edited:
I much prefer the bare primer set up. I feel it is by far the more reliant ignition system and it can be very clean system in the breech. The FPJ's leak a lot of blow back. As with the FPJ's the bare primer system can be waterproof.

Nitride is worth every Penney!!!

I use this one during the Idaho rifle season

1-19-Knight-Ulite-Nitride.jpg

Clean primers from shimmed Bare Primer setup

1-19-Spent-Primers.jpg
Sabotloader,
what do you mean by a "SHIMMED bare primer set-up"? What are you referring to when you say "shimmed"?

Sabotloader,
what do you mean by a "SHIMMED bare primer set-up"? What are you referring to when you say "shimmed"?

The problem is that 209 primers come in different lengths even diameters so the 'headspace' between the face of the primer and the shelf in the breech plug do not always match up and create a seal. In most situations it is no big deal. The breech just gets dirty form from blowback gas. You can stop this by by choosing your favorite brand of primers and then shimming the primer cup in the breech plug to fit your chosen primer. In my case I have chosen the W209 as the primer of choice because normally they are the longest American primer on the market.

Follow this link to learn about shimming.

OP
DenverCountryBoy
Update

I ordered the Knight Ultra-Lite Colorado legal version from Midway on April 24th. It was supposed to ship from the supplier within two weeks. I have not received the ML nor any updates on the status of the order.

I just emailed a third status inquiry as the inquiries at week 4 and week 6 were replied to with a "We'll check with the supplier" but no follow up.

OP
DenverCountryBoy
Did you get a response back from knight ?
Their nitride parts are backordered.

"We are waiting on Nitride bolt handles and components to come from our suppliers and have been back ordered on these for some time now due to the issues with covid 19."

OP
DenverCountryBoy
I followed up with Knight again. They are still waiting on the nitride bolts.

Because I need to get going on bore sizing and load development for the upcoming ML season, Knight is going to ship my order with a stainless bolt and send the nitride bolt when it comes in.

Justin at Knight has been a big help.