I need boots

67bronco

FNG
Going on NM muzzleloader elk hunt in Dec. Nothing I own is probably up to the task. I hate to spend 400 bucks on a pair of boots that I'm gonna use one time and then might be 2 years before I get to go west again. I'm kinda limited here in SC to have places to try on kenetrek and such. I do have a pair of merrell moabs that are very comfortable. Wondering if the gortex mid height ones would suffice. Also in need of a new pair of snake boots and read a lot of elk hunters used the pronghorn 8" so would the pronghorn snakes work? I'm not trying to skimp because I know how bad hurting feet at the end of the day is. I have a narrow flat foot if that helps and I very rarely get cold feet so I wouldn't think id need much insulation. I need some sooner than later so I can get em broke in.

A lot depends on the type of hunting you will be doing. If you are backpack hunting carrying a lot of weight alot of time your merrils wont work very good. If you are base camp hunting they will work fine. I used merrills for 3 years base camp hunting and they worked good, but they would not have if i was carrying a lot of weigh for a long time.

OP

67bronco

FNG
only heavy packing should be toting out some meat. I was recommended some solamons. We just don't have many uses for those kinda boots here so there aren't many places that have them to try on. Trying to narrow it down a little. Thanks too for the info.

Im not sure about NM but i did what you are talking about in Oct in Colorado for 3 years in Merrells. They handled the weight of meat packing just fine.

NebraskaStickHunter

Lil-Rokslider
Not sure of the terrain you will be in. Rocky, steep, rolling, etc. But I just spent 7 days in Colorado in the collegiate peaks wilderness and used some crispi valdres and some mammut trovat boots. They both had their positives and negatives but the best part was the stiff soles for walking on rocks and not bruising the bottom of my feet and the reliable gore Tex for creek crossings. I use the boots for other hunting as well even though they are overkill for dove hunting 😆

OP

67bronco

FNG
Picked up a set of meindl perfekt hikers today at cabelas. They feel like a glove. Got 2.5 months to get em broke in

Not sure of the terrain you will be in. Rocky, steep, rolling, etc. But I just spent 7 days in Colorado in the collegiate peaks wilderness and used some crispi valdres and some mammut trovat boots. They both had their positives and negatives but the best part was the stiff soles for walking on rocks and not bruising the bottom of my feet and the reliable gore Tex for creek crossings. I use the boots for other hunting as well even though they are overkill for dove hunting 😆

You can assume ankle-breaking size rocks or larger almost wherever you go. Stiff soles to protect your feet is good. I've worn the bottoms of the toes off a pair of Asolo TPS 520 GV Evo Hiking Boots out here. REI $320. Still don't leak water. They've served me well enough, but I don't have any comparisons with other brands. I've had these for four years.

I've never been to SC, but I think you'd get some use out of them back home, at least in the cooler months.

OP

67bronco

FNG
I really like the feel of the meindls. Wore them to work today. They are stiff but pretty comfy straight out of the box. Little rubbage at the top on right boot but I'm sure it will go away with time. I have weak ankles especially my left one. I'll put some miles on em in next few weeks chasing whitetails here and get em ready.