I need case trimming advice

IDHUNTER

Lil-Rokslider
When I look in the Nosler reloading manual, it shows the case for my 7mm Wby should be 2.549" but when i measure my once fired brass I'm finding some that are shorter than that. Should i be trimming everything to match the shortest case or just trimming the longer cases to 2.549" and leaving the shorter ones alone?

Randonee

Lil-Rokslider
I do your second approach. Only trim those that need it. The shorter ones should eventually need to be trimmed, after another firing or so.

MThuntr

WKR
You may hear a couple ideals of case trimming and neither are really wrong either:
1) you probably won't notice a difference unless you are a precision shooter so as long as they are within max don't worry about it
OR
2) consistency is key so trim them all the same length

I leave them alone and only trim as necessary for my hunting rifles and so far that's treated me well

I do the same as above for the cases that measure short. Keep measuring as you shoot them and then trimas necessary. I haven't had any accuracy issues for any of my hunting rifles with this method. I don't see any reason to trim anything under the necessary length and "waste" that metal. :D

If you are not crimping them then it won’t really matter unless you are going for high precision rounds. And even then I’d trim ones that needed it to the min trim length and just separate out the shorter ones so not to be included with my high precision loads. Different lengths won’t allow for consistent crimping. If you are loading for a bolt gun you don’t really need to crimp. Or just a very light taper crimp at most. Some will disagree and that is fine. I put a light taper on my hunting rounds but I set my seating die to crimp on the longer case lengths. So my shorter ones may not crimp if more than 2/1000 shorter. If I were going for ultra high precision I would not crimp at all. You have to do what you feel comfortable with.

Rob5589

WKR
Trim to desired length. If some are short, I leave them be until the need to be trimmed back.

rayporter

WKR
first make sure the primer is out before measuring them, then most of the time i trim to the shortest.

for accuracy purposes i want all cases the same length.

OP
I

IDHUNTER

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks to everyone for your advice. From the sounds of it there wont be any issues with accuracy with cases that are a few thousandths difference in length? Of course the COAL or CBTO measurement will be equal on all.

MattB355

Lil-Rokslider
I also trim to the shortest length. I like to see the variances in case growth depending on the manufacture of brass and how many reloads through the brass. Is it necessary, no. However, reloading becomes an obsession of precision after you start seeing accuracy results and is addicting so you try to minimize variables.