I need medium/big bore ideas please! UPDATE: BUILD COMPLETE!

robtattoo

WKR
This is an absolute want only & not any kind of need.

I've been gifted an old Remington 721 in '06 as the base for a project. It's in working, but "well enjoyed" condition & holds no sentimental value to anyone.

My initial intention was to chop it to 20" & send it to Jesse to hollow out to .35 Whelen, however the curse that is Google bit me & I'm starting to think.....

Well, there's the .375 Whelen (& it's improved version) the .400 Whelen, .375 Hawk, .375 Ruger etc.
I don't mind having the bolt face opened up or even buying a new barrel, if it comes to it.

What would anyone recommend for a, basically, pointless but not useless mid-big bore cartridge that'll fit an '06 action length? First hand experience would be really appreciated.

I'd go 35 whelen or 9.3x62. Not sure I'd do then with a 20 inch barrel though - but that's just me. I have a remington classic in 35 and it's really fun to shoot.

VernAK

WKR
I've hunted with several mediums for decades [375 H&H, 35 whelen, 338 WM, 338 Fed] a few years ago I icked up a CZ 550 in 9.3x62 and have been very pleased. There's lotsa good choices but this one seems to work very well for me with that 20" barrel.

OP
robtattoo

robtattoo

WKR
I've hunted with several mediums for decades [375 H&H, 35 whelen, 338 WM, 338 Fed] a few years ago I icked up a CZ 550 in 9.3x62 and have been very pleased. There's lotsa good choices but this one seems to work very well for me with that 20" barrel.

The 9.3x62 really appeals to me, but this is going to sound really stupid: I can't quite figure out if it's a simple rebore/chamber job, or a whole new barrel. I'm guessing a new tube would be the economically sound option....

I've got a Remington BDL that was re-chambered about 20 years ago to 338-06. It's a good close to medium range gun. It's easier to buy a barrel to swap calibers, but a competent gunsmith can ream and re-chamber without much fuss. I love it for timber elk and baited black bears. If you're hunting in G-bear country, a 250 gr slug makes you feel better too.

260madman

WKR
Difference in a 9.3x62 and a 35 Whelen is .008” bullet diameter. Metric or ‘Murican.

If your barrel is thick enough it’s a simple rebore and chamber. Cut it to 20” it’s not like either is a screamer velocity wise.

Moose83

Lil-Rokslider
Another vote for 9.3x62. 20" tube. Highly effective on the few critters I've shot with it. Make it heavy enough tho. Mine was 6.5lbs in a wildcat stock with iron sights. It was definitely a handful to hang on to.

axeforce6

WKR
What about… A 450 bushmaster. Same bolt face. Really fun cartridge. If your have a suppressor is really fun to suppress as well.

OP
robtattoo

robtattoo

WKR
What about… A 450 bushmaster. Same bolt face. Really fun cartridge. If your have a suppressor is really fun to suppress as well.

I considered .458 Win, since I have the long action to play with. But I've had one in a Ruger No.1 & the recoil is 'king brutal. I think .400 is a big as if want to go. The .375 Whelan is looking very tempting.

Probably doesn't need mentioning, but ammo/reloading for any of these is probably going to run $$$. I bought a .35 Whelen last year for whitetails in Iowa, and the cheapest ammo I could find in stock was on Optics Planet for $53/box. These were 180 grain Barnes. The odd thing is you can find .35 Whelen in bulk if you want to buy 200 or more rounds.

OP
robtattoo

robtattoo

WKR
Probably doesn't need mentioning, but ammo/reloading for any of these is probably going to run $$$. I bought a .35 Whelen last year for whitetails in Iowa, and the cheapest ammo I could find in stock was on Optics Planet for $53/box. These were 180 grain Barnes. The odd thing is you can find .35 Whelen in bulk if you want to buy 200 or more rounds.

That really isn't a consideration for me, although it's a very valid point. If I could possibly stick with an '06 based cartridge, I have several thousand on hand I can re-form & I can order custom does through CH4D to suit. I'm familiar with & used to having to make my own brass (try finding commercial 9x57!)
There's a very good chance I'll be using cast bullets too.
That said, right now, I'm ruling out nothing.
Including the 375 & 416 Ruger, although I'm not sure what feed issues they might present yet from an '06 magazine.....

Jacack

WKR
375 ruger is a great round. Have a early ruger African in it and it shoots great.
The 260 accubond is a awesome bullet.

Got a cz 550 action and stock I have been wanting to get put together in 375 riger but just haven't had time to do it.

OP
robtattoo

robtattoo

WKR
9.3x62 is starting to look really nice......

I really need to stop researching & do some work or something.

I’ve had both a 338-06 and a whelen. My 338 is a Kimber Montana that JES bored out and cut down to 21 inches. All the mid bores are great, pick one and go for it.