I need recomendations for a BUDGET setup.

BoTheHunter

Lil-Rokslider
Im 15 and im looking for a setup that is very comortable for one person and ok for two. I will be using it here in western ky mainly, plus a trip to canada. I need recomendations on a budget tent, pack, pad, and bag. Thanks guys! Not afraid to buy used either.

Im 15 and im looking for a setup that is very comortable for one person and ok for two. I will be using it here in western ky mainly, plus a trip to canada. I need recomendations on a budget tent, pack, pad, and bag. Thanks guys! Not afraid to buy used either.

Slumberjack has a floorless shelter
Hyke&Byke I’ve heard good things about as well.

Personally I’d spend the most on a pack, that you possibly can

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bounds

WKR
I’d look for a Mountainsmith Mountain Shelter LT if you are good with a floorless shelter. Can get that for well under $100.

For a bag, Hammock Gear has some very economic option in duck down or synthetic.

Pads can be had pretty cheap too. REI has some very reasonable prices for their in house pads with good reviews.

I 2nd Carrot Farmers advice, spend a little money on the pack. Your enjoyment level will go way down if your pack sucks with weight in it. Definitely scour classifieds for a used option. I used to carry an Arcteryx Bora and they carry weight really well. Or an old Osprey or Gregory. They’ll all carry better than an entry level “hunting” pack.

sram9102

WKR
Klymit has some good deals from time to time on pads. Picked up a static v insulated for 30ish last year just to have a backup. The mountainsmith listed above is good to go. Probably find one on the classifieds here for 75 in a month or so once peoples seasons are winding down. Better be friendly if you plan on stuffing two people in in but its got a fair amount of room for 1.

Cng

Lil-Rokslider
I don't mean to knock anyone else's advice, but I would definitely recommend against a floorless shelter in Western KY. It would be well into November before you could use it without getting eaten up by bugs.

It really depends on what time of year you plan on using it in Canada, but I would recommend the lightest used two-man backpacking tent you can afford, and in KY you will be able to use it pretty much year around. If weight is a big issue, you could try to find a tarp and nest combo, but you'll probably only drop the nest for a couple of months out of the year in KY.

As for a pack, there's a Bergans of Norway Alpinist 130 on FB Marketplace in Frankfort, KY for $75. I don't have any experience with those packs, but I've almost bought it a couple of times now even though I really don't need it. It would be a LOT of pack, but according to reviews it should be able to haul whatever you need for the next decade or so until you're ready to buy a more dedicated hunting pack. Another option would be the milsurp FILBEs or whatever, but they are going for enough that I would rather save up for a hunting specific pack at that point.

EastMT

WKR

For a tent I would look at an REI Half dome 2 off eBay from a good seller, around $100 or less. It’s not super light or small, under 5 lbs, but it’s a good starter tent. I used mine for sheep, deer when getting started

For a pad, klymit is about the best deal out there around $40

Klymit just came out with some budget bags, I have no experience with them though.

Pack is going to the the most expensive most likely, I’d put up an WTB add on here, some people have some decent stuff laying around they would be willing to part with to help a young guy out.

mountain hardware synthetic bags are pretty decent and can typically be found pretty cheap.

EastMT

WKR
Heck I’ll tell you what, I have a half dome 2+ that I don’t use any more, I’ve used it in Alaska and Montana.

You talk with your parents about accepting a gift, and I’ll send it to you rather than let it dry rot in the garage. It’s a sturdy tent, under 5 lbs, safe from the elements, in the mean time you can save your money for a better backpack.

3ad1dd4a5563e46ef1fc54f9f20fb6a8.jpg

82ae4077edc541bf120bdae2539ecceb.jpg

Drenalin

WKR
I'm going to somewhat agree with @Cng - you may not want a floorless for most of your use in KY. I use one year round in TN, but I have the option of adding a Borah Bivy when ticks are bad. If you are on board with a floorless, the Mountain Shelter LT is a good option. I didn't care for the entry, but it isn't a deal breaker. Good space for one, tight but doable for two. You'll need trekking poles to pitch it (or you can improvise something in the field). You can find the LT for about $75 used if you're patient, but that doesn't account for the trekking poles or the bivy (if you add them). If sticking with a tent, I'd watch ebay for used and REI for closeouts.

You can get certified refurbished Klymit pads on ebay for about 40% off the cost of buying them new. These are sold by Klymit on ebay, so they're not coming from some dude's basement. I got an insulated Static V Lite this way close to a year ago for $60 and it has been great.

I think budget bag options open up for you if you stick with a traditional bag instead of a quilt. If you are looking into quilts though, I'd check out Hammock Gear and Cedar Ridge Outdoors for relatively economical solutions in that category. For a traditional bag, I'd keep an eye on REI for closeouts - I wouldn't necessarily recommend buying used in this category. You can get into a good discontinued synthetic bag from Kelty, Mountain Hardware, REI, or Marmot for $100-$120 to get started.

Spend as much as you can on a pack that fits you and has enough capacity for what you're doing, even if it isn't a "hunting" pack. Don't sell one of your kidneys for a Kifaru, EXO, SO, or Stone Glacier just yet - whatever fits you now probably won't in a few years. Get what you can now and just know that you'll eventually have to replace it.

Rob5589

WKR
I picked up some nice bags for myself and daughter from Mountain Hardware on close out. Less than have retail. I also picked up my Exped pad and 3 Klymit insulated pads on close out and refurb, again for significant savings.
Pack I went all in with an Exo and 100% satisfied I did after packing an elk this season.
My shelter is Kelty Salida 2, again purchased as a close out. Great for one guy and gear, could squeeze two of needed. I really couldn't say if it is Canada weather worthy, however.
Definitely check out manufacturer websites for close outs.

OP
BoTheHunter

BoTheHunter

Lil-Rokslider
Sorry for being unclear. My trip to canada is in the summer and you cant stir the sketters with a stick! I think im going to stay away from the floorless since most of its use will be during skeeter season. Im also a saddle hunter and ive been saving up for a mr pop up 28. If i end up getting one ill use it for hunting and camping. Im still searching for a good bag and i think im going to get a klymit pad or a thermarest.

lonedave

WKR
Heck I’ll tell you what, I have a half dome 2+ that I don’t use any more, I’ve used it in Alaska and Montana.

You talk with your parents about accepting a gift, and I’ll send it to you rather than let it dry rot in the garage. It’s a sturdy tent, under 5 lbs, safe from the elements, in the mean time you can save your money for a better backpack.

3ad1dd4a5563e46ef1fc54f9f20fb6a8.jpg

82ae4077edc541bf120bdae2539ecceb.jpg
Now there's a deal for you. The extra size will come in handy the first time you wake up to a rainstorm and you need to spend a few hours or all day inside. It will also let you spread your stuff out a bit inside and still have plenty of room to sleep. Good man coop!

EastMT

WKR
Tents in the mail.

I remember when I first started hunting, I couldn’t afford camo clothes, so I drew on an old gray shirt with markers. I won’t ever forget those days, magical hunts with a hand me down rifle.

My first successful sheep hunt was solo with an eberlestock just one(ouch), this tent, my first set of hiking poles, $99 bag from sportsman’s, $5 garage sale pad, and that was about it.

Only way to hunt is with what you’ve got, a hard head will get you more game than all the fancy gear on the forum. Good luck.

Rwatwood

FNG
If you have a Sierra Trading Post near by I would start there, you can score some good deals. For a tent I think you may have good luck looking on EBay for a used REI or similar tent.
For a bag I would point you in the direction of Outdoor Vitals. Budget friendly and I’ve never heard a bad review about them from people that actually use them.
Check out the Klymit Static V Lite for a pad. I saw one on EBay for like $35. Still very light with a good R value.
If your in the market for a stove and what not I would just Look that the most simple set up you can find. Something like a MSR pocket rocket but you will be able to find another brand that similar for less $$$ on Amazon.

Moserkr

WKR
Awesome you got a free tent! Very nice of him to help you out. Now put your money towards a good pack. Cheap sleeping bags are easy to find, they just may weigh a bit more but you’re young so suck it up n carry the weight. Build character. I still run a cheap kelty cosmic down cause $500 for a sleeping bag is steep!! For a pad, grab a cheap one off amazon. But the nice pack will make the heavy bag’s weight disappear. Thats worth every penny spent and is something you can find used too.

woods89

WKR
Tents in the mail.

I remember when I first started hunting, I couldn’t afford camo clothes, so I drew on an old gray shirt with markers. I won’t ever forget those days, magical hunts with a hand me down rifle.

My first successful sheep hunt was solo with an eberlestock just one(ouch), this tent, my first set of hiking poles, $99 bag from sportsman’s, $5 garage sale pad, and that was about it.

Only way to hunt is with what you’ve got, a hard head will get you more game than all the fancy gear on the forum. Good luck.

Those are some great times. Early on I decided I was going to save some money and bought some Molle shoulder straps and Mil surplus duffel bag and proceeded to sew up a monstrosity of a pack. Some aluminum stays were involved, as was some canvas I bought at Joann's. It actually worked surprisingly well.......

Until I used it to pack in for a whitetail opener here in MO. And it was fine for packing in. The problem (if you can call it that) was that I shot my biggest whitetail to this day on that trip and had to pack 90+ lbs out with it. How I got through it I am not sure. It was painful......

I now have good, if not top of the line, gear, which I appreciate a lot. I wouldn't have started any other way, though.

OP, use the best you have, and go have fun.

Aqua Sage

FNG
Just putting this recommendation in here to check your local REI for their garage sale deals. Picked up a Kelty Down NIB for $100 and 100% Merino Top for $20. That practically paid for the $20 Lifetime Membership. For a couple years I didn't want to spend the money for a lifetime membership, but it has already paid off.