I need some bow help/advice regarding my 15yr old bow.

Logan80

Lil-Rokslider
I bought my first bow in about 2005. It's a 2004 High Country Archery PerFX. I hunted with it for a few years and then my father's health declined and we stopped hunting for awhile. A long while. He's since passed on and a few years ago I started hunting again. First muzzleloader and then last year I got my old bow out and used it. It still shoots great, needed very little adjustment to get it going.

Fast forward a year and I think it's be a good idea to have my bow looked at by a professional. It's never been back to a shop since I took it home in 2005. I'm sure it should get a new string (original on it looks perfect though...), I broke my sight last year and have pretty much decided on a MBG Mountain Lite 3 pin slider as a replacement, and I'm not so sure my old drop-away rest is that great, especially with the full enclosure types available now.

My arrows are probably very outdated and "wrong" by today's standards. They are Beman ICS Hunter 400 with 100gr broadheads, total weight if I remember right is about 430gr. I used to carry it with Muzzy 3-blade fixed and last year carried Grim Reaper 3-blade mechanicals. I'm leaning towards Sevr 1.5 Titanium though. Great reviews and probably better chance of opening/penetrating with my relatively short draw (27.5" I believe).

I'm pretty attached to this bow as I bought it with my father and have yet to successfully harvest an animal with it, although only actually hunted with it maybe 5 seasons. Damn Western Washington hunting is tough!

I'm definitely keeping it. Definitely hunting with it. Almost certainly getting an MBG Mountain Lite and Sevr 1.5ti broadheads. I need to replace my arrows with a modern arrow as I'm down to just 4 left and they have the old style real long fletchings. I likely need a string due to age. I need to also have the max draw weight increased. It's currently about 65-67lbs and I'd like to get at least 70 out of it to help with speed. It currently shoots my arrows around 255fps.

I've attached a couple of files that I found archived on the internet that show information on my particular bow.

Can anyone help advise me on what I should do here?

Attachments

• perfx.jpg
    perfx.jpg
    160.1 KB · Views: 26
  • HCABow.png
    HCABow.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 24
Last edited:

FLS

WKR
Hunt with it. I killed my Iowa buck last year with an old Mathews Conquest Apex. I shot Beman ICS 400s with 3 blade Muzzy 125s. Arrow blew thru him at 35 yds and he piled up less than that from where I hit him. That bow kills them just as dead’s as when it was new.

MeatBuck

WKR
If it worked 15 yrs ago it will work now.
It’s still light years ahead of most bows. An old bear whitetail 2 will kill a deer as dead as any thousand dollar Hoyt or Matthew’s.
Just make sure it’s safe and shoot.
my son shoots a bow I got when I was ten and I’m 33 strings original and isn’t worn out.
I did have a string let loose inside a case once and it wasn’t half as old as this one but saw way more use.

Rob5589

WKR
Throw on some new threads and rock on. I use Gold Tip GT Hunters, tough shaft. There are plenty to choose from brand wise if you want something different. I use a Rip Cord Code Red rest on one bow, a HHA Virtus on the other, both do the job without fuss. The QAD is very popular. Can't go wrong with a MBG.

Nothing wrong with the bow, I'd get new strings for certain. It's not a matter of how they look but how stable they are. Nothing worse than having a bow in tune all summer and right before season stuff starts changing from string or cable stretch. Find a shop to help get it setup properly again.

When looking at a new rest I'd get one that has microtune. That makes it easier to make very small adjustments. I'm not familiar with that cam system for how it would be tuned, might do more with the rest than just set it and forget it.

When looking at arrows I'd buy the straightest you can. Atleast for broadheads. Several companies offer varying degrees of the same arrows at different price points. If worried about loosing arrows get some practice arrows of the same manufacturer and spine, just not as straight. Save some money on your practice arrows, but tune with and hunt with the straighter arrows.

Get a new string and sight for sure. I think a new full containment drop away rest would be a great addition too. I was shooting a bow from 2006 up til this year and my brother still shoots a bow from 2003. Critters fall every year to these bows. My brothers bow has never had anything changed but 1 set of strings. I am on him all the time for that, but he has been successful. I bet he shoots less than 250 shots a year though. I well over 1000 shot per year on mine and change strings every 1 or 2 years.

i also still have 4 of the ICS 340 shafts in my practice arrows. I have gone from 340 FMJ to 340 Axis arrows since then. I’d recommend the axis. The standards are .003 straightness which is plenty to get you to 50 yards with more precision than many of us can shoot.

OP
Logan80

Logan80

Lil-Rokslider
So, the bow went in to the shop yesterday. Getting a new string/cables, new MBG Mountain Lite 3-pin sight, new QAD rest with arrow containment, and a full tune up. I'll probably buy a smaller quiver, 3 arrow style perhaps. I have a bulky 5 or 6 arrow one on there now and it's overkill for sure.

I'll likely be buying some new arrows as well. I intend to shoot it at around 70lbs, any advice on arrows for my setup? I want to shoot mechanicals, leaning toward Sevr 1.5 Titanium broadheads.

Rob5589

WKR
Arrows; at that weight and draw length, probably a .340 unless you go real heavy up front.

You can get light 5-6 arrow quivers these days. Never know when you might need the extra.....

Whatever arrows you're interested in will have charts online for whatever set up you're running. Those Beman ICS aren't top of the line, but they've probably killed as much stuff as any expensive arrows if not more. I used to buy those just to throw at rabbits. I believe you can still get a dozen of them cheap.

You might enjoy dwelling deep into arrow building. I use carbon express Maxima reds topped with slick tricks, but you can't go wrong with most major arrow brands these days.

Enjoy the bow! I've only heard good things about those old high country's.