I need some opinions

I am planning to hunt a limited draw unit in the Bighorns. What I cannot decide is if I should draw the type 1 or 9 tag. The unit has the 9/15 archery permit for type 1 tags. The possibility of snow is known to drive the elk towards private. I have never hunted archery elk but, archery hunted my entire life. Had some success calling elk the one year I tried for muzzleloader but I am complete novice. This will be my 3rd elk hunt. I could hunt 9/15 archery for one week then go back for rifle for a week. Or, I can hunt archery for 2 weeks. With the dates for archery I am guessing that would probably be 9/4 to 9/18 if I go the type 9 route.

I just cannot decide what I should do. What would you do? I am leaning to the type 9 as I think even a raghorn with my bow would be very rewarding. On the other side, trying to call in a bull to bow range solo with my skill level makes me step back.
Then again, one snow storm and the October rifle hunt could become much more difficult if the elk move out.

Go with the type 9. Elk won’t be on private yet unless they are nearly resident herds down there. But by gun season if you don’t have a piece of private to hunt on life could be tough. I rifle hunted the east side of the Bighorns a couple years ago and they were stacked up on private land. We had access and killed bulls but I went up on public land bordering the ranches and there was zero sign up there. Keeping in mind though that we didn’t start hunting until October 31. If I was going to gun hunt public land I’d definitely be there for the opener. I’m sure there elk on public for at least the better part of that week. Good luck.

Hunting with a bow is far more rewarding even when ya eat the tag. I'd do nine and connect with someone to join you that can call. There are plenty of hunters who hunt even when they themselves don't have a tag. You really need a partner for archery season. Much tougher when you're solo. I've had strangers join me in many outta state hunts...taxidermists, meat processors, horse packers, even off duty GWs. Hunters hunt.

If you call...the bull comes looking for you. If your buddy is calling 50 yards behind you, the bull isn't focused on you so you have a much better chance of getting a shot off. Plus field dressing goes four times faster and the pack out takes have the time.

TheGDog

WKR
If you call...the bull comes looking for you. If your buddy is calling 50 yards behind you, the bull isn't focused on you so you have a much better chance of getting a shot off. Plus field dressing goes four times faster and the pack out takes have the time.
OK, so it is what I guessed. Thanks. Not having experience in Elk didn't want to assume anything.

cnelk

WKR
My last 5 archery elk have been killed solo. Its not as difficult as some make it.

Its nice to have help packing tho

cgasner1

WKR
A lot of people kill elk every year solo with a bull. Unless you have a tried and true hunting partner I wouldn’t worry about it I’d rather go solo than have a bad partner

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk