I need the low down on a Hells Canyon Speed. Now which scope the creed

Doc Holliday

WKR
Classified Approved
Check out the new "SR" versions. SR stands for suppressor ready.

I am seeing them on gbroker in 6.5 needmore, 308, 7mm, and 300 win

Search "SR Hells Canyon" and you will see them....I am close to pulling the trigger on a 308

Clarence

WKR
I have a Hells canyon lr 300 win. If you want a rifle that shoots, and are not looking to alter it much, these are a solid choice in my opinion. 22nd positive response here. Outside of a trigger, there isn't much aftermarket available. Triggers are all I hear guys gripe about them, and thats a cheap easy fix with the mcarbo spring.I haven't heard of many lemons. If it's a solid deal, I don't see you loosing being under water on it if it's not for you.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Funny, I too was thinking about buying an X-Bolt rifle. I held and shouldered a 6.5 this past weekend. Now I know I’m going to buy 1 based on everything I’ve read and seen. The only questions I have now is, which caliber? And which scope? Looking hard at the VX5 scope.

My buddy has one in 300 WSM. Its badass. If I didn't like my a-bolt SS BOSS so much I would have already gotten one of the speeds in 300 WSM. Saying that they require trigger work is pretty ridiculous BTW. They have a great trigger right from the factory...

Doc Holliday

WKR
Classified Approved
My buddy has one in 300 WSM. Its badass. If I didn't like my a-bolt SS BOSS so much I would have already gotten one of the speeds in 300 WSM. Saying that they require trigger work is pretty ridiculous BTW. They have a great trigger right from the factory...
Yep, my 1996 A-Bolt Composite Stalker w/Boss is the OG of all of my rifles based on number of animals and species harvested. It's getting a new recoil pad put on now, as the original one had turned into a hockey puck over the last 24 yrs.....these X-bolts are nice and light, etc....but the A-Bolts are remnants of a time when quality didn't take a back seat to profits. Back then owning a Browning was something special....

Doc Holliday

WKR
Classified Approved
Thanks for this tip - I found the SR versions on GB, but not on the Browning site. Looks like on the latter site there are two versions of the HC Speed, and both have threaded muzzle brakes. Is there another version, or are these two the SR version?
All of the HC Speeds have a muzzle brake, but I am thinking the (older) ones not designated SR must not be a standard thread like 1/2-28 or 5/8-24. If you look closely on the "SR" versions, you can also see a slight bulge/shoulder at the end of the barrel, just before the brake.

EastMT

WKR
Not to get an argument started but to clarify for any perspective buyers, it's not that brownings or HCs in particular come with bad triggers. The issue is that if you want a sub-3 lbs trigger that brakes crisp without creep then you will run out of adjustment with the factory spring in addition to the factory spring being too stiff to begin with. The m-carbo spring is $12 and takes 15mins to install once you've got it pulled apart. Fastest and cheapest way I've ever improved a rifle in all my years of firearms.

I put one in a Browning TI a few years ago, same thing. All factory triggers have a lawyer built into them, so you have to remove the lawyer, $12 bucks is cheap improvement, think of the money I have in triggers on my Rem/Rugers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
260madman

260madman

WKR
Well I went and felt up the HC like a senior going to Junior prom. I like it but now it’s do I stick with 6.5 or go with the 7-08. I need nothing for the 6.5 but will need dies for the 7-08. I have the brass already that I neck down for one of my heavy 260 Rem. I should make this easy but I usually don’t.

EastMT

WKR
Did they ever iron out the whole Duratouch stock issues? Do these even have Duratouch anymore?

I have a 5 year old long range, 4 year old HC, no issues on the new ones.

The Pro has carbon fiber, no duratouch. I’ve been thinking about trying one of those out as well

I have a HCLR and have had accuracy issues with Hornady ammo and Nosler. Shoots Bergers very very well. Stretched it out to a mile with good results. Only reason I didn't get the speed because of the twist rate and thin barrel. I also did the $12 trigger upgrade stated above, and it made a big difference. Truth be told, reading too much on the internet almost steered me away from buying the gun, but I'm glad I ended up with it. Love it.

I have a 5 year old long range, 4 year old HC, no issues on the new ones.

The Pro has carbon fiber, no duratouch. I’ve been thinking about trying one of those out as well

I’ve heard mixed reviews for years it seems ... many seemingly revolving around humid climates (I live in FL). So that’s my concern - maybe it’s all bullshit. I just want to know before I drop the $.

OP
260madman

260madman

WKR
I have a HCLR and have had accuracy issues with Hornady ammo and Nosler. Shoots Bergers very very well. Stretched it out to a mile with good results. Only reason I didn't get the speed because of the twist rate and thin barrel. I also did the $12 trigger upgrade stated above, and it made a big difference. Truth be told, reading too much on the internet almost steered me away from buying the gun, but I'm glad I ended up with it. Love it.

If you believe the internet the only rifles to get are custom builds and Tikkas. Everything else is junk.

Have the Max long range version in 300 PRC and it’s an excellent rifle. No issues.
No trigger work is NEEDED. I did it though for $12 why not. Barely noticed any difference.