I need to talk trucks boys

Im in a predicament simply put. I got a 2014 ram 3500 cummins. Truck jas 79k on it. Ibe taken care of it but I've hauled alotta cattle and hay with it. Usually don't drive it but when i.do its typically hooked up. Lately its pretty well problematic.

3.5 weeks ago I took it to dealer to fix bad turbo, bad actuator, bad nox sensor, antifreeze leak, faulty air bag system, faulty fuel system issues, exhaust brake quit working, radio went bad, front end randomly went out of alignment and steering wheel has gone Crooked, and top back 2 cab corners have started leaking water when rains like it has a built im sprinkler system.

Fella told me when I picked it up it was kinda normal but I better be xinxerned with wiring as they changed 2 harneses in the cab.warranry did not cover alignment issues as inspections showing no bent drag link or anything also dont cover cab leaks...

Fast forward......got the truck back friday a week ago and took it back yesterday...Ive drove it 4 times. It was leaking antifreeze worse than when I took it first time, the traction control is now randomly coming on, its showing trying to engage 4wd even when running 75mph, windows wouldn't roll up Saturday night and to make it roll up pushed down on the button for it to up. Could put it in 4wd and tracrion control go off, take it out and it come back on.

So yesterday codes read nox sensor not reading, something in the def system, something he said was odd showing transfer case code, and catalytic converter code.

At this point im ready to stick c4 in it and call insurance.

Help I want from yall.is can anyone tell me about the new ford gas 7.3 that has first hand experience and not just riding it around? I'm weaned on dodge yet diesel for farm work I do its a pretty good necessity but im skittish of it. And not to mention the 55+ price tag on these things are stupid but the used market is literally just a handful of thousand dollars under new cost with 70 or 80k miles.

Give me input please. Im.scratching my head. Will.say i don't wanna delete the truck due to value and trade in issues. It has all power i need stock

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

tdhanses

WKR
I haven’t used it but the 6.2 with the 6speed has been pulling heavy loads for years, I’m sure the 7.3 with 10speed would be even better. I moved away from diesel and went with the 2019 f250 gas, zero regret.

Also don’t believe you can buy deletes anymore, government cracked down on them last year, all tunes are emissions intact tunes now but a delete wouldn’t solve but 50% of your issues it sounds like anyway and a good dealer will not take in a deleted diesel in trade either.

Cab corner leaks are from your brake light. Gasket is bad and water is leaking in and running to the corners of the cab. Dealt with same issue a month ago.

OP
B
Cab corner leaks are from your brake light. Gasket is bad and water is leaking in and running to the corners of the cab. Dealt with same issue a month ago.
Heck yea, I'll look into it. Howd you fix it

Wingnutt

FNG
Just a guess based on my experience, the transfer case shift actuator is causing 4 wheel drive issue. My wife's truck stuck in neutral during a shift on a boat ramp.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
As mentioned above your third brake light is almost certainly leaking. As an autoglass technician by trade I’d be happy to help should it need further diagnosis.

RAPTOR

WKR
I haven’t used it but the 6.2 with the 6speed has been pulling heavy loads for years, I’m sure the 7.3 with 10speed would be even better. I moved away from diesel and went with the 2019 f250 gas, zero regret.

Also don’t believe you can buy deletes anymore, government cracked down on them last year, all tunes are emissions intact tunes now but a delete wouldn’t solve but 50% of your issues it sounds like anyway and a good dealer will not take in a deleted diesel in trade either.

Guys seem to be having a bunch of issues with the 7.3 over on the Tremor forum, with quite a few buybacks. The 6.2 is as solid of an engine as Ford ever built. I'd be going 6.2L and 6 speed and giving the 7.3/10sp another year or two to get some kinks worked out.

Wrench

WKR
I had to silicone my brake light as well.

The window sounds like a switch issue.....or as mentioned something in the harness was missed.

This truck sounds like you've called it bad names, a lot....lol.

My dodge has 316k on it right now and I would not consider selling it as it's as reliable as the sun. Good luck with yours.

Had a 2014 dodge 3500 (new), had electrical issues (windows, radio, controls on steering wheel), front end fell apart, U joints went out, and the transfer case exploding was the last straw (all under 30K). New trucks aren't cheap, so I feel your pain!

tdhanses

WKR
Guys seem to be having a bunch of issues with the 7.3 over on the Tremor forum, with quite a few buybacks. The 6.2 is as solid of an engine as Ford ever built. I'd be going 6.2L and 6 speed and giving the 7.3/10sp another year or two to get some kinks worked out.
Oh wow, didn’t know that, glad I went 6.2 then.

Titan

WKR
Rear light gasket is only $10 on amazon. Should fix that issue. The dealer should have already done a bunch of those. Or just pop it off and silicone it.

Your electrical issues sound like a bad bcm. Sometimes they can flash it, sometimes it needs to be replaced and flashed ($400 or so).

Either way, the used market is still through the roof. Not many people actually need a 3/4 ton or bigger diesel truck, but pulling cattle is a reason for one. I guess it depends how much and how often you are pulling that weight.

I’ve had the 6.2 for quite some time with 120k miles on it. Pull around a 35 foot goose neck quite a bit. As well as some heavy equipment on both bumper pull and a goosenecks. I have had few to no issues with this truck which was a nice change from the 6.0 that I had before this. Wouldn’t hesitate to buy it again. Sorry no help with the new motor though. Don’t have a need to upgrade yet. On a different note though, my dad has the F150 with that 10 speed tranny which is nice, until it isn’t. I’ve noticed it sometimes has a hard time deciding which gear to be in and so when it “skips gears” there is an audible clunk as well as one you can feel. So what I’m saying is, I’m not sold on the 10 speed yet and still like my 6 speed better.

OP
B
Rear light gasket is only $10 on amazon. Should fix that issue. The dealer should have already done a bunch of those. Or just pop it off and silicone it.

Your electrical issues sound like a bad bcm. Sometimes they can flash it, sometimes it needs to be replaced and flashed ($400 or so).

Either way, the used market is still through the roof. Not many people actually need a 3/4 ton or bigger diesel truck, but pulling cattle is a reason for one. I guess it depends how much and how often you are pulling that weight.
I farm full time, dairy and beef. Ill haul 24' flatbed with 14 bales of 1000lb apiece on the trailer. I haul enough after.wearing out a 6.0.gas chevy amd.realizing it.didnt really have the guts I put it through a needed more. Chevy is still going daily but its a wonder. It lacked power alot when.i put 15k behind it

drra

FNG
I have a 2014 Dodge Ram 2500 with cummings and it was leaking antifreeze last year. It was a small crack on a hose that was only detected after they hooked something up that blew air into the lines so they could spot the leak. It was a small leak, but freeked me out when I was 6 hours from home on a hunting trip and saw antifreeze in the snow. Great news is that it was less than 100$ to fix.

Im in a predicament simply put. I got a 2014 ram 3500 cummins. Truck jas 79k on it. Ibe taken care of it but I've hauled alotta cattle and hay with it. Usually don't drive it but when i.do its typically hooked up. Lately its pretty well problematic.

3.5 weeks ago I took it to dealer to fix bad turbo, bad actuator, bad nox sensor, antifreeze leak, faulty air bag system, faulty fuel system issues, exhaust brake quit working, radio went bad, front end randomly went out of alignment and steering wheel has gone Crooked, and top back 2 cab corners have started leaking water when rains like it has a built im sprinkler system.

Fella told me when I picked it up it was kinda normal but I better be xinxerned with wiring as they changed 2 harneses in the cab.warranry did not cover alignment issues as inspections showing no bent drag link or anything also dont cover cab leaks...

Fast forward......got the truck back friday a week ago and took it back yesterday...Ive drove it 4 times. It was leaking antifreeze worse than when I took it first time, the traction control is now randomly coming on, its showing trying to engage 4wd even when running 75mph, windows wouldn't roll up Saturday night and to make it roll up pushed down on the button for it to up. Could put it in 4wd and tracrion control go off, take it out and it come back on.

So yesterday codes read nox sensor not reading, something in the def system, something he said was odd showing transfer case code, and catalytic converter code.

At this point im ready to stick c4 in it and call insurance.

Help I want from yall.is can anyone tell me about the new ford gas 7.3 that has first hand experience and not just riding it around? I'm weaned on dodge yet diesel for farm work I do its a pretty good necessity but im skittish of it. And not to mention the 55+ price tag on these things are stupid but the used market is literally just a handful of thousand dollars under new cost with 70 or 80k miles.

Give me input please. Im.scratching my head. Will.say i don't wanna delete the truck due to value and trade in issues. It has all power i need stock

No help on the 7.3, but holy smokes! I feel for ya, I have never heard of a more problematic Dodge. not losing confidence in reliability would be impossible in your case. Brutal

Elkhntr08

WKR
Looking at getting rid of my 2014 F250 with the 6.7 later next year. Wanting another F250 with the 7.3 gasser, hoping they have any issues worked out.

I hope the OP fixed it by now but just in case, crooked steering wheel and TCS/4wd acting up usually equals steering wheel angle sensor, which also can affect air bag system. get the wheel straight and have it reset. also check all grounds to body and frame, its a common and overlooked issue. there are alot of grounds, even under the carpet and even if they're there they may be bad.