I picked up a Coleman 533 stove. Old school.

boom

WKR
It’s not lightweight so it won’t be packed anywhere.

(oh funny story. I dragged my wife to the Coleman Truckload Sale at our fairgrounds. I grabbed the last stove. It was torn open, the funnel and instructions were missing. I grab a few other “chingaderos” and I felt it immediately. Sore muscles and the beginnings of a headache. I hurry and pay. I kid you not. By the time I got home I was 101 fever and vomiting. Wow. That was fast. - I did get the stove cheap!)

anyways. Back to the stove. Today I felt better and fueled it up and lit it. Same MO as lighting any lantern. That thing is a blast furnace. It boiled water in a cheap,alum pot in no time. Such old school technology. I needed one for motorcycle tour/camping and warming burritos at my distant construction sights.

i started a Coleman lantern collection, but that fizzled at my second lantern. I have forgotten how cool the old Coleman stuff is. Even the smell of the fuel brings back memories.

I’ll put that stove in the truck this elk December. I know this crowd is more about the new stuff. Light, fast efficient. Anyone still using old Coleman stuff? I am gonna keep an eye out for an old stove. :)

hodgeman

WKR
I love the old Coleman stuff... I regularly use a CL2 my Dad got in the early 80s as well as a two burner stove in camp.

When the temperature plummets, that old gas gear will get you through.

87TT

WKR
I have two Coleman peak 1 stoves that still work great and I still use. I also still use my grandfather's lantern that waa made in the early 40's. One on the left. ( my Grandfather passed 60 years ago)135616

NW307

Lil-Rokslider
Coleman Peak 1 is still a go to for just about everything except long back packs. It holds a simmer better than anything its size and it's easily fixed in the field. I bought it used and have been using it for 20 years. I've also got an old lantern and that is awesome for car camping. I got a good deal on a double burner but it uses the one pound bottles which is fine. Seems like every camping appliance I have that I don't have to carry is an older coleman, the stuff just works!

87TT

WKR
Yep. My old Peak 1 lived in my saddle bags and is still a little tweaked from a roll under my horse when we tumbled down a hill in the mountains.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Here's my Grandpa's stove. It's a model 9F from 1934 with the Everdur tank and the "slant" valve. Did some research a few years ago to figure out which model it was. It's for sale for the right price. It also has a stand.

100_3385.JPG

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I can remember as a kid camping back in the late 60's and 70's and my parent's using this stove all the time, but I don't think it's been used since then.

CBreeze

FNG
You will never fall in love with a propane stove that’s for sure. It’ll always be too fake.
50ea6ca163e9b893582f9a5d6c445ad1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CBreeze

FNG
I get irate everytime I’m at less than half a bottle and it’s less than 30 degrees or above 5000 feet. Simple sure, but too puky in the cold and at elevation. I use it all the time like most everyone else but....

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I use mine routinely at 11k feet in subfreezing temps and have never had any issues. I also run my double tank top heater all season without issue. But I do hate it when I get back to camp in the dark and as soon as I light up the lantern, it runs out of propane. But it's still better than having to pull out the funnel and fuel can and spill it all over the place trying to fill it up. Or have the pump wear out and stop pumping air into it. That drove me crazy.