I See You

Oakleyrossi's deadfall thread brought up some great re enactment in my memory. it reminded me of how sudden an elk can appear out of nowhere. sometimes silent, and sometimes not so silent. you are playing on your instincts and visualizing what the elk is doing until he's in your lap for an up close and personal opportunity. whether we capitalize, is up to us. then i couldn't help but to relive a hunt in a very heavily pressured otc unit. i called in 16 bulls that year in only 7 days of hunting. it was pretty fricken awesome!

it was like one of those days on the lake when every lure you throw out, and every live bait you drop down, nets a walleye or largemouth, or whatever your fishing for. we've all had those days. hopefully you'll experience that in the Elkwoods if you haven't already.

then last year i watched that monster bull come in from over 200 yards. i just saw bits and pieces, but enough to see him react to the calls, bugle back, and waltz in for a 16 yard shot.

in the black timber, it all seems to happen so fast! 1 wrong move, or 1 wrong sound, and its over! and you never saw it coming! but you'll hear him leaving.

and the same holds true when you can see them coming. but they "could" also see you as well. adding to the excitement. because the second you see him coming, that excitement starts building. and it's almost like being in a freeze frame. slow motion as he's coming! but being able to watch that gives you a whole new understanding than what you may have thought they were doing when you cant see them coming.

in the end, either way works for me. when you see them coming, it teaches and confirms. and its coming to an elkwoods near you! soon!

goodluck and be safe out there all my elkhunting brothers in arms 🏹🏹🏹🏹

Last edited:

Gerbdog

WKR
oh man.. coming down to that last month... the anticipation is ruining me... my poor dogs hate when i bugle and try to steal the tube out of my hands.... i have dog scratches all over my body currently haha

luckydraw2014

Lil-Rokslider
the excitment is really building especially as elk related goodies get dropped off by UPS......wifey is like are you done spending money LOL 37 days to go!!

Beendare

WKR
Those elk can see a long ways in the timber.....I'm always amazed some guys don't use their bios more in elk country...its an equalizer.

I can't even tell you how many times I've been calling for buddies or a client and very slowly scanning with my binos I find cautious elk trying to pick us off through the woods that you would never see with your naked eye.

______