I take 2 of these...

Jeremy11

FNG
How many of you take 2 headlamps/lights without thinking that the phone you use to navigate has a torch function?

Jeremy11

FNG
2 arrows for sure! grin

It looks like I'm the odd man out on duplicates.

I was once shamed by a guy elk hunting in Arizona; no pack just a water bottle, phone and gps...thats it. He was literally running through the woods chasing elk. He said if he gets one down, he goes back to camp for his pack or quad anyway......

Kidding about the "Shaming" but I've become a minimalist these days. . I used to pack duplicate stuff....but not so much now. I used to be you had to p[ack duplicates due to reliability. Those old mini mag and bulbed flashlights were so unreliable it was ridiculous!

I do have duplicates back at camp but don't pack a bunch of extra stuff around now.

Headlamp- my Zebra 16850 is super reliable, though I do have a backup battery for it and my phone. I can use the flashlight on my phone in a pinch.

Water purification- I always have the pills...sometimes a filter. I will drink straight from a spring out of the Mountain regularly....depends on the source of course.

Knives- I have my go to processing knife the Benchmade Altitude....and then I usually have a small pocket knife like the Mini Grip....so I suppose that 2 of those.

Lighter- if it doesn't start with the one [which I test beforehand] then no fire.

Compass- I always have one in my pocket....but my phone doubles as a compass so no need for 2.

Tab- If I lose my tab...I walk back to camp...I can still shoot with fingers though not as clean a release.

I do have a couple or more of some items; Nitrile gloves, wipes and such.....

I was thinking of the same strategy recently. Going fast, without a pack, and worrying about a possible pack-out later. It would decrease physical effort especially in steep country, increase area covered and potentially, animals found......higher success rates?

2 water containers (I use a bladder and have a smaller 1L playpus for camp water/drink mixes). I figure if you bust/lose your only water container you're SOL

Ucsdryder

WKR
Note to self; nobody reads my posts.....why waste time posting?

____

I love you beendare and I’ll play along. Yes I carry 2, but one is an e light that is almost weightless and has a battery that’ll last forever without leaking. It’s in my shtf pouch. What’s the torch function? Is that different than the flashlight?

Gapmaster

WKR
I also take two lighters, two headlamps, actually three knives and definitely 2 releases. Really screwed a hunt up once by losing my release, will NEVER make that mistake again! NM 16a of all places... missed out on last day of hunt due to not being prepared.

Garrett58

FNG
Back-country
Safety:
2 forms of fire starter
2 forms of navigation, electronic and paper map
2 forms of water purifier - pump and tablets
Hunting;
extra bow release
extra bow string already shot in
Clothes:
extra body layer - dry if primary gets wet with sweat or other

All above does not add significant weight to mitigate the risk of losing a primary source

There are a few things I take 2 of in my pack.

1) Headlamps. Id rather have a spare headlamp ready to go than to switch batteries

2) Knives. I take one fixed blade and one Havalon

3) Fire starters. Either two lighters, or one lighter and one flint/magnesium

Anyone else double up on anything?
Exactly the same here. I do carry extra batteries but I want to be able too see if I have to put a new set in.

Beendare

WKR
I love you beendare and I’ll play along. Yes I carry 2, but one is an e light that is almost weightless and has a battery that’ll last forever without leaking. It’s in my shtf pouch. What’s the torch function? Is that different than the flashlight?
Actually Jeremy's post popped up later.......wasn't there before my comment...so we are of like mind.

A torch in Kiwi speak...or the brits or Aussies too...is a flashlight.

I don't fault a guy for 2 headlamps. ......or two of anything really........but IME with the quality Zebra or Fenix lights...no need especially with a phone.

Its hypocritical for me to point fingers when I am the king of backup batteries.......grin

______

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
What do I have two of on a backpack trip in....?
Beyond food it is very limited. hiking in and out is not a big deal if something breaks or gets messed up.

2 pair socks
two mini bic lighters

I think that's it.

I was that guy that had all types of redundancy throughout my pack but after hauling it around 100+ days every year and never using it, it came out of the pack.

Marble

WKR
If I break or loose something, or it malfunctions and the result would cause me to hike off the mountain, i bring two.

This has to do with water, fire, light, release. I also carry two chapsticks, 2 to 3 cans of chew, 2 to 3 water bottles

Things that are not practical to carry two of i do not.

DavePwns

WKR
What do I have two of on a backpack trip in....?
Beyond food it is very limited. hiking in and out is not a big deal if something breaks or gets messed up.

2 pair socks
two mini bic lighters

I think that's it.

I was that guy that had all types of redundancy throughout my pack but after hauling it around 100+ days every year and never using it, it came out of the pack.
What do you use for water filtration?