I think I completely screwed up my sleep system. Advice appreciated.

180ls1

WKR
Trying to keep weight down I ordered the OR bivy and Thermorest Neo Air X lite (larger version) pad. I am 6'3" 230 and fit on/in both of them terribly. They are VERY small. Is there a bigger pad that you all would recommend? If this pad is 25" wide I am thinking 30"+ would be worlds better. I am open to tent suggestions also where my head and toes dont touch each end, budget friendly preferred.

I dont need anything for super cold either so the R rating can be on the lower side. I am also young/strong so an extra couple pounds is worth a good night's sleep.

Thanks in advance!

rlmmarine

WKR
Somethings just arent worth the penalty my sleep system cons8sts of a big agnus park seies bag and an exped air mattress. I sleep as good in it as i do my bed at home

OP
180ls1

180ls1

WKR
Somethings just arent worth the penalty my sleep system cons8sts of a big agnus park seies bag and an exped air mattress. I sleep as good in it as i do my bed at home

I have a megamat xl which is great for camp but its also 10lbs I think. What one are you using?

ScottR_EHJ

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Trying to keep weight down I ordered the OR bivy and Thermorest Neo Air X lite (larger version) pad. I am 6'3" 230 and fit on/in both of them terribly. They are VERY small. Is there a bigger pad that you all would recommend? If this pad is 25" wide I am thinking 30"+ would be worlds better. I am open to tent suggestions also where my head and toes dont touch each end, budget friendly preferred.

I dont need anything for super cold either so the R rating can be on the lower side. I am also young/strong so an extra couple pounds is worth a good night's sleep.

Thanks in advance!
I'm 6'5" and with Thermarest I had to go with the tallest options possible. I'm not positive but I thought they used to offer an extra long option.

OP
180ls1

180ls1

WKR

NeoAir® Topo™ Luxe XL​

77" x 30"
2lbs 2oz
R- Value: 3.7

This is the best I have been able to come up with for a pad. If someone else has a suggestion on a pad that's 30" wide I am all ears! It'll get me down to cool temps and work around camp as well as packing.

I'll start with tents next, I am a little worried. I know that will be a costly endevor. At least I should be able to sell my megamat, Neo Air and OR bivy to recoup some money.

Last edited:

xcutter

WKR
My favorite is the Big Agnes Q Core Deluxe in Xtra Wide/Long. Crazy how comfortable it is.

Cheaper option that is okay on comfort is the Klymit Static V Luxe Insulated.

Both are good pads.

sndmn11

WKR
This is the best I have been able to come up with for a pad. If someone else has a suggestion on a pad that's 30" wide I am all ears!
I am a wide muscular guy. @sneaky might have some feedback on Klymit as well.
27"ers and I love my insulated one.

30"ers

Klymit has blemised stuff on their Ebay store and generally will accept offers 20% less than what they have listed. The Exped mats are probably much better tested based on their typical mountaineering customer, but I couldn't handle the vertical baffles and getting comfy. It made my 25" pad from them seem narrower because my shoudlers would be just barely past the high point of each outside baffle. I would guess that you lose 2" per side in "high point" width because of that.

OP
180ls1

180ls1

WKR
I am a wide muscular guy. @sneaky might have some feedback on Klymit as well.
27"ers and I love my insulated one.

30"ers

Klymit has blemised stuff on their Ebay store and generally will accept offers 20% less than what they have listed. The Exped mats are probably much better tested based on their typical mountaineering customer, but I couldn't handle the vertical baffles and getting comfy. It made my 25" pad from them seem narrower because my shoudlers would be just barely past the high point of each outside baffle. I would guess that you lose 2" per side in "high point" width because of that.
Woah, that is very helpful! Thanks for the Ebay tip. I'll look around on there.

That's interesting with the vertical baffles. Something I never would have thought of until it's too late. Those seem like a really tough pad to beat for the price.

That last pad you linked is about half the price, warmer R value (5.0 vs 3.7) and is 2oz lighter.

Do you have any thoughts on the 27" vs 30" I tend to move around a lot and sleep face down about half the night. I really don't know if the 27" would cut it.

sndmn11

WKR
Do you have any thoughts on the 27" vs 30" I tend to move around a lot and sleep face down about half the night. I really don't know if the 27" would cut it.

Lay down on the floor if you have hardwood or tile, or in the garage, and have someone put masking tape down an inch or so outside your shoulders. That will tell you. I feel like the way the Klymits are baffled keeps me centered. I can sleep both on my back and side without issue, but don't toss and turn a lot.

OP
180ls1

180ls1

WKR
I’m not a huge guy but am a side sleeper. After many sleepless nights wrestling around I ditched the thermarest for a Nemo Tensor which made a huge difference. As others have said, their are several manufacturers that make a 3-3.5inch thick long/wide pad:

Nemo
Sea to summit
Big Agnes
Exped
Klymit

as far as tents, I would recommend going floorless and look at Seek Outside or Kifaru. I personally can recommend the redcliff and have been more than happy. However, for a tall guy like you, you might want to look at the 6 or 8 man that has a pole height of 7’ 10”.

also, the gentleman at Borah Gear will do custom orders and is great to work with.
Thanks for taking the time to list all those out. I went through all their models/makes.

I am not sure I can commit to floorless. In the local hills we have rattlers and they never hibernate. Just not sure I can take that chance. I'll give those companies a look though.

OP
180ls1

180ls1

WKR
Another vote for the Bora bivy. I'm 6'4" 235lbs and the xl they make fits great, even with an air pad (klymit) and 0F down bag.
Dang. I wish I knew about those earlier. They weigh nothing and are priced very fairly. I'll give them a ring and see what they suggest with a 30" wide pad.

Bruce Culberson

Lil-Rokslider
Dang. I wish I knew about those earlier. They weigh nothing and are priced very fairly. I'll give them a ring and see what they suggest with a 30" wide pad.
My klymit ultralight is only 23" wide.
I think most backpacking tents (marmot, NF, msr, ect) are going to have your feet and or head hitting the walls. You might consider a a floorless plus liner for the snakes....maybe a SO cimmeron, or other. I currently have a Black diamond megalight (9x9 pyramid) for backpacking into the mountains. For base camp or in the timber a 11x11 Oware, complete with stove jack and Lite Outdoors ti-stove.

OP
180ls1

180ls1

WKR
Ordered the Static V Luxe SL which is 27x78". Got it for sub $100. If it ends up being too small I'll give it to my dad who could really use a better pad. Thanks everyone for your input. I'll try and give an update when it gets here.

I haven't made up my mind on a bivy/tent yet. I have a 3 person tent that is packable but heavy I can use so that is not as pressing.