I think I figured this out...

Camo

Lil-Rokslider
I was getting ready to pull the trigger on a “new to market” compact spotter to save me 26oz. over my Zeiss 65. Then I had a bit of an epiphany (never accused of being the brightest guy on the mountain) and realized I could save about 44oz. by spending the same amount of money on a new pack instead of sacrificing on glass. My question now is, at what point does it make sense to save that 26oz. at the expense of less glass?

And yes… this is my first post. I came across this site by accident while researching a Sawyer filter and have been religiously cruising it the last few weeks trying to catch up. I have to say, it has been a humbling experience. I always felt I hunted a little harder (not necessarily better) than the average guy. Reviewing some of these threads and vids, especially the Kifaru/SG comparison, I have a whole new perspective of my capabilities and what “average” is. Anyway, thanks for any thoughts.

My opinion..... Upping the pack will give you not only less weight.... but tons of other features. More durability, more modularity, more comfort, better ability to haul weight and meat etc. So your money is going much further.

by downgrading glass, you are losing weight.... but gaining nothing (in fact losing ground)

Get a kifaru and haul that heavy thing around. I love my zeiss 85

Joe

Craig4791

WKR
What pack do you have now?

I agree I have no problem carrying more weight in quality optics.

wildbill

Lil-Rokslider
camo,can't comment on the optics,where i live they don't come into play. as for packs, kifaru's are bombproof.but be forewarned kifaruitis is very expensive good luck.

OP
C

Camo

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the thoughts, I figured there would be little gained by sacrificing on glass, and as stated above potentially a handicap. I don't need anymore of those.

Currently, I'm running an Eberle Blue Widow, and I will keep it for day hunts due to it's flexibility. The Icon has been ruled out just because it's not tall enough for me. I'm waiting on a reply from SG, but it looks like the Kifaru is a little more custom built which is probably what I am going to need. However, it's not because I need to pack 120# for 25 miles.

Manosteel

WKR
Welcome to the site. Like you I found this site when researching packs, and after reading hours of posts it was clear I was researching the wrong packs :). It also became clear that the folks around here are hunters and not keyboard warriors and their is a tone of great advice to be had. As for packs I went with the kifaru bikini frame with a DT1 bag. Fit the way I hunt best, but you couldn't go wrong with a SG.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome Camo!
I would base weight savings on this: If you've cut everywhere else you can (like your ephinay) and your glass is still too much, then you can start looking to cut. I used an old Leuopold 20x lightweight for years and did fine. You might even consider two scopes. One heavier/better glass for trips/country where you can afford the weight, and another lighter one when weight or country would dictate. By country, I mean if you aren't spotting beyond a mile or two, lesser/lighter glass can work.

Great question.