I think I finally found my perfect bino harness for stand hunting

ChrisAU

WKR
The Outdoor Vision Ridgetop.

I've tried most everything. I've had Marsupial original and enclosed, Kuiu Pro, AGC, Sitka, FHF, and a few I'm probably forgetting.

I thought the Marsupial enclosed was the ticket, then I tried this one.

To preface, forward opening is all-important to me for a stand hunting bino harness. A rear opening flap is extra movement and also can be an obstacle when trying to put the binos back in one-handed quickly. I much prefer just setting my binos & RF down into their holder vs having to move a flap/cover.

Here's a few reasons I like the OV compared to the Marsupial:

Fully enclosed when harness is closed, but open sides part way up the bino when the harness is open - minimizes movement getting binos out. I found I was pulling 8x42's out of the Marsupial by going around and hooking a finger through the bridge. With the OV I can go straight in from the side and grab one side of the bino. Fully enclosed is important to me because dust on the side by side can be awful.

Now, to contradict the fully enclosed part being important, I LOVE the rangefinder holder compared to all the others I've tried. I found I had to pull my RF out using the tether with most carriers, with this one the top is left exposed when it is open making it easy to grab the RF and pull it out for a quick range.

Here's a big one, that most won't admit. The forward opening lid makes an excellent container for anything while its open - especially a cell phone. I'm sorry, it gets boring at times stand hunting. The phone is out a lot. It makes a super convenient spot to put your phone quickly and with minimal movement. I also like just setting it there because I can take photos/videos with my phone when deer are right on top of me with minimal movement.

Built in rain fly - this is nice. If I'm concerned about moisture and/or dust, just unzip the bottom and pull it out.

I also find the front storage compartment to be more "stuffable" than the Marsupial, and it allowed me to eliminate the zippered pouch I was using on the Marsupial setup.

I don't see the OV getting much love here, and for western hunting I still prefer my AGC for all of its extra compartments, and for its lack of magnets to interfere with navigation.

OP
ChrisAU

ChrisAU

WKR
Good to know. What about noise? How does it compare?

I haven't found any to be too noisy, but the outside fabric has a bit softer feel to it than Marsupial/AGC. Interior operation is dead silent.

That Bino harness sure does look pretty awesome. If I was looking for a super simple sleek design that would be the one I pick.... But I like the extra pockets on my AGC hybrid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Squirrels

WKR
That Bino harness sure does look pretty awesome. If I was looking for a super simple sleek design that would be the one I pick.... But I like the extra pockets on my AGC hybrid.

I had a hybrid too that I really liked. I picked up the OV Ridgetop and quickly moved the AGC down the road. I never missed all those pockets I thought I needed.

OP
ChrisAU

ChrisAU

WKR
I had a hybrid too that I really liked. I picked up the OV Ridgetop and quickly moved the AGC down the road. I never missed all those pockets I thought I needed.

Yep I used my AGC for whitetail for a couple years and loved it coming from nothing, but I find now that everything I loved the pockets for can fit in the OV and or a minimal pack. I do still like the AGC for backpack hunting for how much little stuff I tote around, and because I usually have the binos on a tripod out west vs constant in and out of the harness like when whitetail hunting in a stand.

OP
ChrisAU

ChrisAU

WKR
After using an AGC I moved to the OV and really like it. Im not stand hunting though.

it may well make it into my backpacking gear. Some early testing showed no problem with a compass. I know it’s easy enough to prevent with the Marsupial and other magnet based harnesses, but after getting turned around in a swamp last year for an hour or so by bad compass readings thanks to a Marsupial harness I have pause to use one when nav is a factor. And I don’t mean to demean Marsupial with my OP or this one, they are easily one of my favorites, I just find the OV better for my use for the reasons I put in my OP.

68Plexi

WKR
I recently replaced my KUIU original bino harness with the OV. I don’t hunt out of a tree stand but I find the OV meets my needs better than what I had before. I like that it’s fully enclosed and not bulky which I want for bow hunting. Extra pockets are nice, and I’m glad they’re small or I’d be tempted to fill them up and turn it into a front-pack. Not what I’m looking for.

I was also split between the fully enclosed marsupial and the OV, but ultimately went with the OV because I thought the shoulder straps were closer to the KUIU, which I liked. Really happy with it so far although I’ve not had it for very long.

I really liked being able to manipulate my KUIU with one hand and although it’s a little different I can still get in and out of the OV with one hand pretty easily. It took a little practice, but getting the lid back over my binos to close on the magnets is not too bad.

Agree with the OP on the rangefinder pouch as well. I have a Sig Kilo 1600, which isn’t very big, but it was so snug in my KUIU rangefinder pouch it was difficult to get in and out. Definitely not quiet because of the struggle. The OV is much easier and opens forward which I like as well.

I think they’re on sale for Black Friday right now which makes them a really good deal IMO. My only concern with the square lid opening forward will be when it’s snowing. We’ll see.

OP
ChrisAU

ChrisAU

WKR
Here’s a pic I just took that shows the “accessibility” of the harness and RF holder. This is 8x42 SLC’s in a medium and a Sig Kilo 2200 RF.

17D222D5-5B01-419F-90DA-AF7D23CDA0CF.jpeg