I think I found my final insulation piece.

bighouse31

Lil-Rokslider
After trying a few different insulation jackets I think I found a keeper. I have tried down jackets which work well in really cold climates when you know it will not rain or have any chance of getting wet. I want an insulation layer that is going to keep me warm in the worst conditions which includes wet cold rainy days. In my opinion a good insulation layer is one of the most important pieces of gear. So the negative of down as everyone knows is it is worthless if it gets wet. The other problem I have found with light weight down jackets is they are just not that durable. The super down jacket from Kuiu looks interesting but it is still down and I am just not sure I trust it.

I have tried a few synthetic insulation layers and just never found one that was light enough that fit me the way I needed it. For a small guy I have broad shoulders and I want an athletic fit so I can wear it under my outerlayer. The spindrift from Kuiu was close but not perfect. I had an old Go Lite synthetic that I liked but it was real shinny, loud and I left it on the mountain a few months ago. So I have been searching for a new one and came across the Arc'teryx Atom LT http://www.arcteryx.com/Product.aspx?EN/Mens/Mid_Layer-Sweaters/Atom-LT-Jacket#

Comes in full zip, 1/4 zip pullover or full zip hooded. Black, brown or grey. The shell is softer and quieter than most puffy jackets I have seen. The collar is lined with micro fleece which is a big plus for me. Cuffs are made of stretchy material as are the side pannels. Very pleased with this jacket and Arc'teryx is a very quality company and makes great gear. Have not used it in the field yet but as of now this is my go to insulation layer.

swat8888

WKR
There is a ton of great gear out there apart from the hunting gear companies. I'm probably 50/50 with my gear selections hunting vs. non hunting industries. I stick with OUtdoor Research a lot, largely due to my pro deal, but there gear has been bombproof.

Lawnboi

WKR
Iv been pushing this jacket for a while, its a good one. I have the LT pullover, it weighs like 8oz and is very warm. Just a little noisy though.

The thing that the arcteryx apart from others is there is no stitching. which equates to a huge amount of loft of the material per the weight. The Arcteryx LT next to a kuiu spindrift, same weight insulation, though the LT lofts up almost twice as much.

Arcteryx also makes a heavier version of this labled with SV. They also come in as said, 1/4 zip, full zip and hooded. They have a vest and pair of pants also.

Price is right as well.

Someone stole my LT 1/4 zip, I need a new one.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
I have yet to find a synthetic puffy better than the Patagonia Micropuff. Another keeper, plus mine is in hunting friendly green. :)

OP
bighouse31

bighouse31

Lil-Rokslider
Bitterroot,
It may be hunter friendly green but Patagonia as a company far from hunter friendly

ArcTeryx makes some fantastic gear that is for sure! Though it's always been just a bit out of my price range... :)

For those of you who are looking for a new layer, ya'll should wait for the FirstLike Uncompahgre puffy. I hear it's pretty fantastic...

Mike

dotman

WKR
ArcTeryx makes some fantastic gear that is for sure! Though it's always been just a bit out of my price range... :)

For those of you who are looking for a new layer, ya'll should wait for the FirstLike Uncompahgre puffy. I hear it's pretty fantastic...

Mike

Yeah I'm holding out :). I sure like FL. Have they said what the price will be yet?

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Didn't want to further hijack this thread, but you couldn't be more wrong with that statement. Most of the top people in the company hunt and support many hunting related organizations.

More info on your intel , please.

I've had many dealings with Patagonia, and while they have hunters that work for them, the core of the company is far from hunter friendly.

My knowledge on this came from direct questions to the marketing and PR people. To me, they try and stay "middle of the road", but that was smoke and mirrors (for the most part).

So, if my info is wrong, I would like to know! They make great gear, but I try to stay away from them because of the reasons I listed above.

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member

I've had many dealings with Patagonia, and while they have hunters that work for them, the core of the company is far from hunter friendly.

My knowledge on this came from direct questions to the marketing and PR people. To me, they try and stay "middle of the road", but that was smoke and mirrors (for the most part).

So, if my info is wrong, I would like to know! They make great gear, but I try to stay away from them because of the reasons I listed above.

We have a store here in Reno, I know a few people there, they really take care of their employees product wise IF your are not a hunter and don't have kids! They kinda don't like either or that is what I was told.

rpoutside

FNG

It was actually pretty funny that I checked this thread and posted my initial thoughts. I was taking a break from tying some flies that utilized CDC that I was given to me from, without name dropping, one of the higher ups at Patagonia.

I live in and work in the Jackson Hole, WY area where I have a lot of contact with folks from Patagonia. I have fished with them, talked hunting as well as seen the huge amount of support, monetarily and boots on the ground, they give to hunting conservation organizations including, RMEF, DU and TRCP among others.

Here is a good interview with Patagonia Marketing Manager http://blog.trcp.org/2011/10/14/bill-klyn/

Read Yvonne Chouinards book, "Let my People go Surfing" where he talks about falconeering and training the birds to hunt.

I am sure there are many people that work for Patagonia that dislike hunting, but the company as a whole is far from anti hunting. If they were, would they sell through Cabelas, Mack's Prarie Wings, Gander Mt, etc? I am sure that it was a financial decision, but anyone who knows anything about Patagonias corporate philosophies, they do not do anything purely based on financial gain.

Do you think everyone at ArcTeryx, Eddie Bauer, Marmot or any other high end clothing companies that you choose to support over Patagonia is pro hunting? I doubt it. Do any of those companies, or even ones in the hunting industry, provide the financial support to conservation organizations and environmental causes that benefit you as a hunter and the habitat of the quarry you hunt? I am not just talking talking dollar amounts, but on a percentage scale - Patagoina puts almost every other outdoor related company to shame.

http://ecosportsmen.com/?p=179

There are no smoke and mirrors to your interactions with Patagonia. They say what they mean and do not sugar coat it. Yes, they support causes you may not like, but they certainly support more causes that you most likely do like and benefit, directly or indirectly, from.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Here's what I know. First Lite, Kryptec, Kuiu and Kifaru are pro hunting. I don't have to wonder if my money is going to the Anti's

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Here's what I know. First Lite, Kryptec, Kuiu and Kifaru are pro hunting. I don't have to wonder if my money is going to the Anti's

Even better they support Rokslide!

Although I do like my Patagonia gear (especially those discussed in this thread), I will be purchasing clothing from the companies Ryan referenced in the future.
This thread got me thinking, and I want to support companies that support Rokslide.

6t4nova

WKR
I won't support Patagonia as they are against fracking and supported a frack free Colorado. My $$ comes from the oil and gas industry and supports my family. Don't have time for those that are against it. I'm sure the execs at Patagonia aren't driving all electric cars or using other items that didn't come from the oil and gas industry....

I won't support Patagonia as they are against fracking and supported a frack free Colorado. My $$ comes from the oil and gas industry and supports my family. Don't have time for those that are against it. I'm sure the execs at Patagonia aren't driving all electric cars or using other items that didn't come from the oil and gas industry....

Not supporting fracking from an ecological standpoint makes no sense...

Mike

bluestone

FNG
Not supporting fracking from an ecological standpoint is the only thing that makes sense...clean water and all of that.