I think I need help with a scope for my wife

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
I've done this with two daughters and my wife and they all have to learn every year how to do it. They are all super smart skilled hunters, but they get lost in the mechanics. They just don't see it like we do which is frustrating.

Again, not trying to be rude- but if they have to relearn every year, you’re doing something wrong. It is a number that they move a turret to- if they can start a car without your help, they can turn a twisty thing to 2.1 without it as well.

I literally do this daily. All of these issues that people bring up go right out the window with some simple things. FFP or fixed mil/mil scope with good reticle, and a logical straight forward process makes all of these “but, but” caveats seem silly.

Marble

WKR
Again, not trying to be rude- but if they have to relearn every year, you’re doing something wrong. It is a number that they move a turret to- if they can start a car without your help, they can turn a twisty thing to 2.1 without it as well.

I literally do this daily. All of these issues that people bring up go right out the window with some simple things. FFP or fixed mil/mil scope with good reticle, and a logical straight forward process makes all of these “but, but” caveats seem silly.
It's a perishable skill. And they don't use it year round. It's not a one and done instruction experience.

This is my experience with the youth program too. Even though they have been shown how to do everything in hunters safety course, during the shooting course we put on, and on the range days I take them to, the inexperienced will need more instruction, reminders, tips and positive reinforcement.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Antares

WKR
Two things
1) If you shoot 2" high, being 5" high to begin with, your 7" from bulls eye, that's still 7" less than the max of 14"

Imagine a 14" diameter steel plate. If you're more that 7" from the center of that plate, you're off the plate.

Vital zones are a diameter measurement.

After you get the scope and rifle set up just use a piece of tape or arrow wrap and fine point sharpie to make a cds yardage turret.
I believe there is a company that makes a little more professional sticker out there.

That's what I would do if I was worried.
Easy to read and change if you change the rifle.

OP
MuleyFever
I guess the best thing to do would just be to put the SWFA on and let her practice both ways and she can decide which she is more comfortable with.

I would go with a simple BDC reticle. I would be comfortable taking a 400 yard shot any day and in the right conditions a 500 yard shot. I personally use Vortex and enjoy the simplicity of their BDC. I sight in so the the hash marks line up closest to were I want. For example I sight in my 30-06 at 225 or 1.8” high at 100 yards. It puts the first hash mark close to 300 and the second a little past 400. If want to place a good shot at 100 it’s roughly 1.5 MOA above the main crosshairs. The Vortex BDC makes this easy since the first hash mark is at 1.5 MOA below. You’ll see what I’m getting at when you plug your load data in a ballistics calculator and play with the sight in range. It seems complicated but just study the ballistics info and test it at the range. Tape the info to your stock once you find something that works. It’s pretty nice using it in the field. Nice and simple.

Maybe take her to the shop and look through some glass in the parking lot, talk about trade offs, and let her pull the trigger - after sleeping on it a few nights. If she’s at the helm I bet it’d be a better experience.

Craw3773

FNG
Maybe try best of both worlds? The new leupold vx3hd has a cds with zero lock. You can also get it with the B&C reticle.

If you have time, dial, if not grab the 400 hashmark, and shoot. It's not crowded like the moa reticle

Scope recommendations shooting to 400 are pretty simple.
Trijicon Accupoint 3-9x40 green MIL DOT
Swarovski z3 3-10x42 BRX

My question to you is, does she practice enough at 400 yards to have absolute confidence in first round hits with every shot fired?

Simple drill I’ve done with pretty much anyone who’s ever hunted with me. I make a crude cardboard silhouette of a deer which I staple to my portable target stand and have an 8 inch gong directly behind the vitals.
I start at 100 and move out and 50 yard increments until they are no longer making first round hits.
If a person can’t make consistent first round hits in the vitals on a cardboard silhouette, they probably have no business shooting at a live animal at that distance either.

Last edited:

seawolfxix

Lil-Rokslider