I think I'm going to cry!

Slim Jim

WKR
Well I just got back from my NV archery mule deer hunt. Thought I would go back for a couple days before season ended to give it one more shot to finally get my first archery buck. I worked two different basins glassing from first light to last light and couldnt come up with a shooter until last night which was the last night of my season. It wasn't a bruiser but a decent 4x and I decided to put on a bonsai stalk since there was only about an hour of light before it was dark. I had about a mile to come around and down into the basin and use the topography for cover and with the wind in my favor it was on. I charged with a mission and making good time. There was a creek running through the bottom so I had a little bit noise cover to help get in close. I was feeling really good about the stalk until about 200 yards out I ran into tall dry crunchy manzanita. I had no choice but to keep going making a shit load of noise but time was running out. I finally came to a giant boulder that I knew I had to get behind to set up for a shot. I ranged a boulder where I thought he should be at 60 yards. I have been practicing like a mad man so I knew I was ready for a 60 yard shot. I looked all over the area where I thought he was and just couldn't locate him so I thought that I blew him out from all of the noise I was making. I decided to step out about 5 yards forward and stood there for about 5 seconds when the buck 10 yards to the left from where I thought he was busted out and I wanted to cry. That's hunting but so close to closing the deal on my first archery buck. Guess I'll just have to wait till next year and have more patience next time.

Elk_Addict23

Lil-Rokslider
Well I can say I know exactly how you feel. I won't get into too many details but have you ever been within 30 yards of a 190+ buck and couldn't get a shot? I think I shed a tear this morning when it happened. I guess that's part of hunting but definitely a terrible feeling of disappointment walking back to the truck.

That is archery hunting man... all the down times just make it that much better when everything comes together in a perfect arrow flight hitting home! I know exactly how you feel... :(

Mike

Hardstalk

WKR
Took me 3 years. Think you want to cry now. Wait until you do get one down. All the work and practice flashes in your mind and emotion is uncontrollable. Quite a learning curve from when i was a rifle hunter.

Elk_Addict23

Lil-Rokslider
Hey guess what? It happened again this morning! I was on the same buck, got within 50 yards only to have a group of different bucks come in below my wind and blow everything out of there. I know what you mean by "when it all comes together", been fortunate to be on the other side. I'm going to give them a 4 day break, hope nobody blows them out and try to get back on them.

OP
Slim Jim

Slim Jim

WKR
Sucks to hear that EA23. It's a shitty feeling but I'm already looking forward to my AZ January archery deer rut hunt. It was definitely a learning experience to learn that they don't always blow out with just noise. If they can't see or smell you they will hang around.

Elk_Addict23

Lil-Rokslider
Bad feeling for sure but it just makes it that much sweeter when it happens. Good luck on your AZ hunt, always wanted to go down and do that hunt. I may do it if I don't tag one here in CO!