I thought I was pretty healthy

Mark

WKR
A little background before my story begins...

I'm 56, 5-9 and have an average weight of about 180lbs +/- depending on the time of year, not a lot of body fat, active and aside from a couple of successful spine surgeries, I'm in decent shape (mostly my personal opinion). I have slightly high blood pressure that is managed by meds. Low HDL cholesterol, slightly elevated LDL cholesterol but considered low risk so no meds. I don't smoke. I don't drink alcohol. I eat clean the majority of the time.

And then I got a really big wake up call on 03/18/2018. I had a somewhat mild heart attack. It took me about 5 hours to figure it out. In that last 30 minutes I was still only 75% sure it was in fact a heart attack. Most would call that denial.

I was at home and had spent most of the day in bed thinking it was flu or maybe heartburn (more denial). Then things changed - I started having pain in my right arm and both jaw bones started to hurt. I called 911 and fire was a short 3 minutes away, paramedics were close behind. By the time paramedics arrived I was hooked up to EKG and had fluid lines in. Within 10 minutes of that the heart attack was confirmed and I was inbound to ER.

Twenty minutes later I was in the ER with a large team getting me prepped for an angioplasty to open up the clogged arteries. I was told later that I was getting about 15-20% of normal blood flow. No wonder I was so fatigued and short of breath.

After a couple of hours it was determined that that procedure wasn't going to resolve my problems. Enter the surgery team with news of an emergency triple bypass on the menu for that night. As in right now.

Lots of rushing around, lots of people prepping and a couple of quick phone calls to calm my two boys down and off to the operating room I go. I'll skip the next several hours and just say the surgery went well and I had a very horrible Day 1 in ICU.

Day 2 is when the nurses seemingly lose all compassion and tell you it's time to get up and walk. Easier said than done, but with the help of two nurses I was able to take a 100 foot walk down the hallway followed by an excruciating minute of pain getting back in bed. If you've never had your sternum split, spread and wired back together that part probably doesn't translate well here. Take my word for it - that part of the surgery hurts bad.

Days 3 through 5 were progressively better. By Thursday night I was walking the halls of the cardio floor on my own making friends at every nurse station along the way. Friday I was discharged and phase II began at home.

Fast forward to today and I'm happy to report that I had my first visit with my cardiologist since my surgery. He released me to drive again, released me to go back to work on 04/16 and set me up with the cardio rehab team starting next week. I'm walking a little over a mile a day and my heart Ejection Fraction is at 50% today (55% is considered normal). I had minimal heart damage so long term I'll be back to a normal EF soon.

So just like that, without any serious warning signs, I have had heart failure. Now I'm considered "at risk" and some lifestyle change has begun. Diet and exercise are the Big Two for heart health. I'll do my part and take it seriously. I'm far too young to throw in the towel.

My 2018 hunting season isn't happening. My cardiologist strongly suggested today that I take the season off. I agreed, albeit reluctantly. By duck and upland season I'll be good to go.

I don't really have a moral here other than don't take your health for granted. We're all grownups here so I won't preach the meds vs no meds or try to convince you what to do. My life journey has shifted slightly, but I'm far from down and I'm strong enough not to be out. Surprisingly, I'm healing up quickly and I see tremendous progress daily. Today I'm a grateful heart attack survivor!

I doubt I'm the only one here that's been through something like this. For those that have survived it, I feel your pain. For those that haven't dealt with it, I hope you never have to. Thanks for letting me get that off my chest. Good luck this season and I look forward to reading about your hunts.

bbrown

WKR
Damn man glad to hear you are on the mend! Good reminder to take care of ourselves and make the most of the time we have.

colersu22

WKR
Glad your doing better Mark hopefully you have a quick recovery. On a side note I was shooting your old Hoyt this past weekend and that thing is a dream.

boom

WKR
Thank goodness you finally recognized symptoms!

Heal up quick bud.

PNWGATOR

WKR
Glad you’re on the mend!

Glad you called and got the help you needed.

Figure out how to make this hunting season happen. It may not be a ‘normal’ season, but you need to get out and make the best of it.

Cherish every day and your family and friends.

Glad to hear you are going to be alright! A guy just never knows what the next day holds, a good reminder of why we need to take care of ourselves and live every day as it’s last. My dad gave me a scare last winter, ended up just being a panic attack, but since then both of us have started taking better care of ourselves. Thanks for sharing your story and get well soon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Sorry you had to go through this Mark.

I really look forward to hearing about your successful return to hunting whenever you safely decide it is the right time.

OP
Mark

Mark

WKR
Thanks everyone for the kind words. I appreciate it more than you may know.

Glad your doing better Mark hopefully you have a quick recovery. On a side note I was shooting your old Hoyt this past weekend and that thing is a dream.

Good to hear that bow is still slinging arrows! I really liked that bow. Recovery is going well. Honestly, I can't believe how quickly I am recovering from such a major event. I expected to be down for several weeks. A big part of it is how quickly they get you moving in ICU after surgery. They won't let you sit around or lay in bed. They bring you food, but you have to get out of bed to eat. Personal motivation is helpful too. I want to get back to normal so I'm participating in my recovery.

Glad you’re on the mend!

Glad you called and got the help you needed.

Figure out how to make this hunting season happen. It may not be a ‘normal’ season, but you need to get out and make the best of it.

Cherish every day and your family and friends.

I should have been a bit more clear. I'll go on a couple of hunts with my boys, but I won't have a tag in my pocket or a weapon in my hands. I have no problem with that. I know by late season I would likely be ok, but I don't mind missing a season to heal up completely.

Sorry you had to go through this Mark.

I really look forward to hearing about your successful return to hunting whenever you safely decide it is the right time.

Thank you Matt. I'll be back in the game by the end of the year. Every day I feel a little better.

Last edited:

Scoot

WKR
It's scary how a wake up call can come out of the blue at any point in time. I'm glad to hear things went as well as they could have and you're doing well now. I had a significant life-changing health event at 38 years old. I was in good health and took decent care of myself but still got a nasty curveball. It can happen anytime...

netman

WKR
Take your time with recovery. I tried to accelerate my healing after having my heart attack. Not good.

I had a old man tell me one day that having a heart attack and speeding up the recovery time does not work. He told me to plan on one year of taking it easy and relaxing.
My EF is 30-35.
I laid up most of the winter and did not exercise like I do most winters.
I have been hiking with a weighted pack and riding my bike since the weather broke. I feel way better now.
It’s been close to a year now.
Take it easy and don’t over do it.

glad your ok, hope for a quick recovery.

my dad had a similar thing happen...
he has been working out his entire life and eats extremely healthy. to the point that its his life style. well one day he goes to the doctor and they tell him he has clogged arteries and the only reason he is still alive is because of all the exercise he has done, made his veins and arteries strong. goes without saying that he was surprised and pissed off at the same time. living such a healthy life and still got clogged arteries. you never know.

netman

WKR
I was shocked 24 times in the cath lab. Most of the shocks I was awake. They melted the patches off of me and had to change them out at 14 .
They said they did this because all indications was I was fit and healthy.
I was shocked 6 times straight and passed out. When I came to there was a nurse giving me chest compressions.
I asked him what was he doing and I freaked them all out by asking the question out of the blue.

OP
Mark

Mark

WKR
Take it easy and don’t over do it.

Thanks for the post. This is sound advice. I'll be starting Intensive Cardiac Rehab soon. It's a 12 week program and 36 total visits. While I am focused on my recovery, I'm in no hurry at all.

JPD350

WKR
Hope all the best for you and I appreciate your posting about your heart attack! Your description of yourself was eerily like you describing me, I will keep this in mind next time I don't feel like exercising or eating healthier.

Keep on doing what you love to do!

JP

Good message from the OP. We never know what the next hour/day/month/year will hold. Enjoying the hunt, which we love and focus so much energy on, can dissolve rapidly. Keeping ourselves right physically, mentally, and spiritually is where we can prepare for the unexpected illness. If we hit those marks beforehand, we can survive most of what is thrown at us in the long run.

In 2010 I faced an appendectomy. No big deal in the great scheme of things - one evening of horrific pain followed by surgery and a week of taking it easy. Within a month I was back climbing communication towers.

In 2012 and 2014 I had to have shoulder repairs, bursitis in one and rotator/bicep repair in the other. Again - not really a big deal. Within 6 months I was back climbing communication towers. I am quite certain Physical Terrorists have a special training room in Hell, but I also credit their torture for my quick recovery and ability to continue to provide for my family in my current profession.

At 46, I went in for a routine physical. My dad had a major heart attack at that age and it seemed like a good idea to get a physical every 15 years or so and I was overdue. Had my blood test a week before the muzzleloader elk hunt that year. Ignored a phone call from the Doc during the hunt and called back two weeks later. PSA score was very high. Within two weeks I had the biopsy and by Thanksgiving I was in discussions with the oncologist and by Easter 2015 treatment was finished.

Complications arose from the HDBR treatment (radioactive porcupine shoved in your juicy bits for high dose radiation treatment of prostate) and standard radiation beam treatment. A urinary stricture was either formed or irritated by the radiation. Discomfort for several months and the local urologist shining me on, 12 hours after killing an antelope the first week of October I was in the ER with complete urinary blockage. Ended up with a suprapubic catheter for 4 months and urethroplasty in January 2016. (if you don't know what a urethroplasty is - be glad, very glad....)

Just had my 3 year cancer checkup and there is, to quote the oncologist, "reason for concern - but nor reason for alarm". PSA is rising again and it might just be a lab glitch or it might be indicative that the prostate cancer spread/is back.

During all this I never missed a hunt. I might not have gone as deep or in a certain place, but I was out doing what I love to do while working around my regular job. During this time I dove into my faith and ended up becoming a commissioned pastor and now serve multiple ministries as a volunteer pastor focusing on youth and young family ministries. My marriage blossomed and what was in 1998-2006 a rocky relationship is now rock solid and going strong. I have lost 10# and have 10# more to go to get down to my "good weight". I ride my motorcycle almost daily again after not riding for 10 years (I keep feeding and watering it hoping it will grow into a HD or Trumpet someday...). This year I am going on my first backpack elk hunt.

Mentally and physically I've been through the grinder and have come out loving my family, trusting in God, and know I can handle whatever the next chapter is - glitch or not. I know that I choose to live, love, and laugh - taking life in stride but constantly moving the ball forward. I hunt: that is a huge part of who I am and what I do.

Great messages in this thread. Choose to be a survivor. Make good choices. Make things right in all aspects of your life. Control what you can and deal with the unexpected. Let go of that which weighs you down. Stay true to yourself. Embrace what strengthens you. Love, laugh, live.

Blessings and keep us posted on your recovery.

Doghed

WKR
Wow, scary stuff. My father and Grandfather both had a quadruple bypass after heart attacks. I know that heart disease will most likely be part of my future and have tried to maintain a better/healthier lifestyle than they did. Still scary reading your post as I approach 50 and realizing it can get even the healthiest of us.

Question: Were you aware of any family history of heart disease or cardiac arrest?

Thanks for sharing. Glad you're ok. Gives me hope when my day comes.
BH.