I want a CVA Accura X, but I am confused....

JGBowman

Lil-Rokslider
I have been looking for an inline muzzleloader that I can use in colorado for elk and PA for bear. I think I want a CVA Accura X 50 cal. I called CVA and they said all of their Accura X 50 cal models are drilled for front sights. I want to put on William's sight. But as I was looking at Accuras and I have a couple questions.

What twist rate do I want? 1:22 or 1:28?
Do I want a 30in or 24in barrel?
Should I get a muzzle break?
Should I buy the 50 cal CVA ACCURA MR-X on camofire.com? https://www.camofire.com/index.php/Deals/6

Thanks in advance!

sneaky

"DADDY"
The 50cal models don't come with the 1:22 twist from what I've looked at. I think that twist is only available in the .45cal. The velocity gain in a muzzy isn't going to be worth carrying a 30in barrel around everywhere, but it will give you a longer sight radius. May want to see what the minimum required caliber is for elk. I'm not sure in Colorado but here in Idaho we have to use a 50cal minimum for elk and moose. 45 is legal here for deer. That's during the muzzy only seasons, different rules apply during an any weapon hunt.

I wouldn’t want to hunt with a 30” barrel. That’s a lot to try to maneuver while not making a scene. Muzzle brakes are fine, not necessary, but you’ll need a funnel to get your powder past the holes, unless you use pellets. I’m not a pellet fan. If the regulations require a 50fps that’s the route I’d go, but I’d take the 45 if I could. One thing to also consider is the ignition source. I personally am not restricted by that so I’m not up to knowledge on that

GMB54-120

Lil-Rokslider
CVA sells a Colorado ready MRX in 50cal. Comes with sights. Its about $540 on MidwayUSA.

The CVA 50cal break actions are 1-28. Only the Paramount is offered in 1-22. The MRX is a 26" barrel, not a 24". The old Acurra MR was 24" and its actually a better rifle if weight is a concern. The new MRX weighs more and does not have a ramrod you can use for cleaning. The MRX/LRX collapsible rod is for loading ONLY.

GMB54-120

Lil-Rokslider
Colorado ML elk regs are
No Sabots
No Pellets
No Scopes
No Smokeless
Must be 50cal or 54cal if using PRB.

With BH209 in rather short supply and high cost you are pretty much locked into using it with the MRX/LRX. Other powders will need swabbing so you would have to carry another rod to swab. The included rod is held together with a bungee cord.

BH209 can be a bit tempermental using conicals but it is possible. CVA wants you to shoot Powerbelts. You might need some minor tinkering to get conicals 100% reliable if using BH209.

The bright side is, you only need around 80gr by volume of BH209 and a nice fat lead conical. No SUPER mag loads needed when chucking a 465gr conical down range. You wont need a brake for that kind of a load and the CVA brakes pretty much suck.

Last edited:
OP
JGBowman

JGBowman

Lil-Rokslider
From when I posted until now I learned a lot. All the input was very help.

I went with the LRX from Midway USA with the Williams site. I am very excited. I also bought the break from Anarchy Outdoors. I got a little trigger happy and started buying before i got more input.

GMB54-120 you suggest "80gr by volume of BH209 and a nice fat lead conical. No SUPER mag loads needed when chucking a 465gr conical down range."

Is that a good set up for elk and bear?

It seem like BH209 is the standard.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Just be prepared for sticker shock when buying 209. Have you bought a funnel yet for loading with a muzzle brake? Are you recoil sensitive or just wanted one to look cool? Too bad you jumped the shark on ordering everything lol. Oh, and buy an extra ramrod to cleaning. That takedown ramrod is useless for anything other than loading.

OP
JGBowman

JGBowman

Lil-Rokslider
Just be prepared for sticker shock when buying 209. Have you bought a funnel yet for loading with a muzzle brake? Are you recoil sensitive or just wanted one to look cool? Too bad you jumped the shark on ordering everything lol. Oh, and buy an extra ramrod to cleaning. That takedown ramrod is useless for anything other than loading.
I know I need a funnel. I should be able to get on easily.
I got the muzzle break because, why not? The barrel is threaded and I wanted to try it.
I should have a ram/cleaning rod which will work.

I am researching what bullets I want to use.
Also, adjustable peep sights.

GMB54-120

Lil-Rokslider
GMB54-120 you suggest "80gr by volume of BH209 and a nice fat lead conical. No SUPER mag loads needed when chucking a 465gr conical down range."

Is that a good set up for elk and bear?
Well you cant use sabots so whats left? Powerbelts, Fury full bores and Thors at over a buck a pop and they wont kill any better than a big slow moving hunk of soft lead will.

Think of it like this.....How many bison do you think died to 50-70? Millions probably and that load has more energy.

OP
JGBowman

JGBowman

Lil-Rokslider
Well you cant use sabots so whats left? Powerbelts, Fury full bores and Thors at over a buck a pop and they wont kill any better than a big slow moving hunk of soft lead will.

Think of it like this.....How many bison do you think died to 50-70? Millions probably and that load has more energy.
Makes total sense.

Do you have a brand of conical you would recommend?

GMB54-120

Lil-Rokslider
Bullshop Bullets or No Excuses. I would be looking at 395gr or larger. Both sell a 420gr IIRC.

GMB54-120

Lil-Rokslider
Getting the sizing kit is a very good idea. If using BH209 you want about .002 over lands and a good wad under it. 54cal wool will seal better than the 50cal wool wads. The also make veggie fiber and poly wads that seal even better. Buffalo Arms sells them all but you would need to get 1000 if buying veggie or poly for about $20+shipping.

A vendor called Fury Custom Bullets sells smaller packs of poly/veggie cheap.

Last edited:
OP
JGBowman

JGBowman

Lil-Rokslider
Getting the sizing kit is a very good idea. If using BH209 you want about .002 over lands and a good wad under it. 54cal wool will seal better than the 50cal wool wads. The also make veggie fiber and poly wads that seal even better. Buffalo Arms sells them all but you would need to get 1000 if buying veggie or poly for about $20+shipping.

A vendor called Fury Custom Bullets sells smaller packs of poly/veggie cheap.
Ok just to be clear.
I am putting the following down the barrel in order:
1. 80gr by volume of BH209
2. wool wod.
3. 420gr No Excuses Bullet

Do I need to grease the bullet?

I do have a flintlock. I never used a wod before. Is that just a inline thing?

GMB54-120

Lil-Rokslider
BH209 burns hotter than other powders and the base of a bullet is what "steers it". REAL good idea to protect the bullet base. It will also cut down on leading.

No Excuses and Bullshop both come lubed. Although you can buy Bullshop without lube too. No need to add any more.

Powder
Wad
Bulllet/Conical

OP
JGBowman

JGBowman

Lil-Rokslider
BH209 burns hotter than other powders and the base of a bullet is what "steers it". REAL good idea to protect the bullet base. It will also cut down on leading.

No Excuses and Bullshop both come lubed. Although you can buy Bullshop without lube too. No need to add any more.

Powder
Wad
Bulllet/Conical
Got it! I am pumped. My CVA should be at my house when I get home!!

Should I be using a WOD with my flintlock?

GMB54-120

Lil-Rokslider
I would use a wad anytime with a soft lead conical... What kind is debatable. I like poly wads because they seal very tight. You can always use a poly under the wool if wool give you better accuracy. Stuff like the Fury full bore bullets i would use a poly wad. Fury makes a super good full bore bullet for inlines that is legal in lots of states.

These are the Fury Bullets that are legal in states like Colorado. Jackets are bonded to the core.

These are the poly wads you would use with them.

With the Fury you can pretty much load them as hot as you desire but they are not the best with really low powder charges.

OP
JGBowman

JGBowman

Lil-Rokslider
I purchased the no excuse bullet test kit.

I tried them all and noticed the same thing. Half way down the barrel the conical pushes very easily down the barrel with very little pressure, even the with the 0.504 bullet.

I called CVA and they told me that their barrels typically are tighter upfront. They asked if I shot it yet and I said no because how loose the bullet was in the barrel was a concern for me. They said I should try their powerbelts or I can send it in for a technical inspection. If they find an issue with the barrel they will replace it.

I am probably going to sent it in.

But should I try the powerbelts?
Do powerbelts suck?
I think they are CO legal?
Should it try another solid lead conical bullet?