I want a CVA Accura X, but I am confused....

GMB54-120

Lil-Rokslider
Of course CVA recommends Powerbelts, since they're both owned by BPI

And all of them are owned by Dikar S. Coop in Spain along with several other brands. BPI is just the US marketing and distribution division of Dikar S Coop. All of them are owned by MoonDragon of Spain.

I don't know why they are doing their barrels that way. But I can tell you that I've checked the bores on two of them now and both were similar to what you have encountered but one was much worse than the other. I was told it was "in spec" after sending it to them for a refund (which they did).

ole hunter

Lil-Rokslider
I purchased the no excuse bullet test kit.

I tried them all and noticed the same thing. Half way down the barrel the conical pushes very easily down the barrel with very little pressure, even the with the 0.504 bullet.

I called CVA and they told me that their barrels typically are tighter upfront. They asked if I shot it yet and I said no because how loose the bullet was in the barrel was a concern for me. They said I should try their powerbelts or I can send it in for a technical inspection. If they find an issue with the barrel they will replace it.

I am probably going to sent it in.

But should I try the powerbelts?
Do powerbelts suck?
I think they are CO legal?
Should it try another solid lead conical bullet?
I looseness is normal go shoot it and see what kinda of groups it does . my brother inlaws both have the CVA Accurra v2 nitride guns and they are tight start and loose in middle then tighten on the powder load .

OP
JGBowman

JGBowman

Lil-Rokslider
CVA told me that it might take 4-6 weeks to get the gun back, which may cut it close for PA muzzle loader bear.

So I decided to not send the gun in. I figured I would just try and find a bullet that fit good and shot well. My buddy gave me several to try from. I seem to have good luck with the Federal bullets with the BOR Lock. The fit seemed to be pretty good.

Going to shoot them next and see how they work.

EVO6

Lil-Rokslider
CVA told me that it might take 4-6 weeks to get the gun back, which may cut it close for PA muzzle loader bear.

So I decided to not send the gun in. I figured I would just try and find a bullet that fit good and shot well. My buddy gave me several to try from. I seem to have good luck with the Federal bullets with the BOR Lock. The fit seemed to be pretty good.

Going to shoot them next and see how they work.
I was having the same issues with the no excuse bullets. I was recommended to get ahold of Bob Parker at Parker productions. He got me squared away on what combination to shoot, even sent a range card with my order. Makes a very accurate full conical bullet, and I shoot his 300 grain ballistic extremes here in WA.

OP
JGBowman

JGBowman

Lil-Rokslider
I was having the same issues with the no excuse bullets. I was recommended to get ahold of Bob Parker at Parker productions. He got me squared away on what combination to shoot, even sent a range card with my order. Makes a very accurate full conical bullet, and I shoot his 300 grain ballistic extremes here in WA.
I will have to check them out!

Have you shot it yet? There are multiple reports of accuracy issues with CVA X guns. Need to shoot it and see what kind of accuracy you get soon!

OP
JGBowman

JGBowman

Lil-Rokslider
Have you shot it yet? There are multiple reports of accuracy issues with CVA X guns. Need to shoot it and see what kind of accuracy you get soon!
I have not shot it yet, had some work travel to get out of the way. Might be able to get to shoot it this week.

EVO6

Lil-Rokslider
I have had good results with so far with Parker ballistic extremes 300 grain and BH209. My buddy is touching holes at 100 yards with thores and BH209. This is after a fair amount of load development. His best groups were 88gr BH209, mine are 85. It’s probably going to very.

Attachments

• 9DD79B29-47E5-4A5A-876D-65AF9BBC5C2F.jpeg
    9DD79B29-47E5-4A5A-876D-65AF9BBC5C2F.jpeg
    587.3 KB · Views: 18
OP
JGBowman

JGBowman

Lil-Rokslider
So I live near the Cabela's in Hamburg, PA and several other gun shops. As soon as they get BH209 it's gone. So taking into availability and price I decided to go with Triple 7 FFG. I want to use BH209 but I just can get it and I want to start shooting.

I was going to send the gun back because I could not get No Excuse bullets to fit correctly. CVA told me it would take 4-6 weeks. I really did not want to do that right now because its so close to hunting season. So I got a bunch of bullets off my buddy and the federal 350 gr bor loks fit really well. So I was going to use those.

I only have 5 of the federal bullets but I am having issues finding them available to buy. I am going to shoot it this week. If it works out I will get more at some point.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
So I live near the Cabela's in Hamburg, PA and several other gun shops. As soon as they get BH209 it's gone. So taking into availability and price I decided to go with Triple 7 FFG. I want to use BH209 but I just can get it and I want to start shooting.

I was going to send the gun back because I could not get No Excuse bullets to fit correctly. CVA told me it would take 4-6 weeks. I really did not want to do that right now because its so close to hunting season. So I got a bunch of bullets off my buddy and the federal 350 gr bor loks fit really well. So I was going to use those.

I only have 5 of the federal bullets but I am having issues finding them available to buy. I am going to shoot it this week. If it works out I will get more at some point.
hi, thanks for updating us on this process. CVA is a sponsor and I'll let them know this thread is up. It shouldn't be this hard. Shoot the gun before you do anything.

If they're willing to replace even if it's shot, Try those different bullets and charges. That's what'll tell you right there. and the T7 will have to work if that's all you can get. I shot it for years and it'll work fine, just a lot dirtier than BH209, and slower, but if you get good hunting accuracy, you're set for this year and can worry about a return later.

Keep us posted on this.

OP
JGBowman

JGBowman

Lil-Rokslider
hi, thanks for updating us on this process. CVA is a sponsor and I'll let them know this thread is up. It shouldn't be this hard. Shoot the gun before you do anything.

If they're willing to replace even if it's shot, Try those different bullets and charges. That's what'll tell you right there. and the T7 will have to work if that's all you can get. I shot it for years and it'll work fine, just a lot dirtier than BH209, and slower, but if you get good hunting accuracy, you're set for this year and can worry about a return later.

Keep us posted on this.
Yeah I was getting a little frustrated about the situation and finding a solid lead conical to fit correctly in the barrel. However, I am confident I will be able to find a set up to work. I have to keep in mind I bought it because it is a sweet setup. Break open design, good barrel, free floating barrel, coated, adjustable stock, and threaded barrel.

I will provide an update after I get to shoot it.

BPI_Outdoors

FNG
Rokslide Sponsor
After reading the entire thread, I would like to offer some advise. Before sending your gun back I would try a couple of things. First I would go to your local automotive store and buy a tube of valve lapping compound, put it on a cotton patch and polish the barrel. After doing this I would check the bore with a dry patch to see if there was any tight spots in the barrel. If not take the gun and shoot it.
In reference to bore riding bullets try several brands to see what your gun likes. With the federal and other make be sure you have a sizing die. To adjust the bullet to bore you will need both a sizing die and a hand knurling tool. It is best to use a Pin Gage to find the ID of your barrel before sizing your bullets. I always size my bullets on a dirty barrel when using Blackhorn powder. With all others I size on a clean bore. I try to size to about 10 pounds of loading pressure on the bullet.
What is just as important as the size of the bullet and bore is to know how thick the jacket on the bullet is. If the jacket is to thick and the powder charge is to small to bump up the bullet then the bullet will not fly accurately. Another thing that is most important to know about is the twist of your barrel. A fast twist is a 1 in 18 to a 1 in a 24. The fast twist guns shoot heavy bullet’s better than say a 1 in 28 twist which is the industry’s standard. My experience has shown slow twist guns like 225,250 and 275 work best in a 1 in 28 and fast twist guns like 275,300 and 350 bullets better.
I hope this information is helpful and you get it worked out before your hunt, and if not I am sure CVA will take care of your gun and good luck

OP
JGBowman

JGBowman

Lil-Rokslider
Update:

I shot the gun yesterday but only once unfortunately.

As soon as I got to the range I put anti seize lube on the threads of the breach plug. I put a 20" x 20" paper at 50 yards (should have tried at 25 yards first). Also, I bought the gun with William Peep site.

I loaded 90 grains of triple 7 powder with a 350gr federal BOR lock. Had a solid rest, good trigger pull, and totally missed the paper. No issue, I think the gun shot low and I was going to shoot at 25 yards to confirm and make adjustments as needed. I have a bunch of Hornady 50 cal 350gr bullets (non sabot style and I think they are copper, don't have the box in front of me) my buddy gave a bunch and I figured I would use them to make adjusts to start hitting paper. I wanted to save my federals and have a limited amount and every where is sold out with them.

A more experienced shooter was at the range shooting his muzzle loader as well. I asked him to watch me load a Hornady bullet . Why? because I tried loading them at home and I felt like it took alot of force to try and get them into the barrel. He watched me and how much force it took to push the bullet into the barrel and we both agreed it was fine.

He then said take the breach plug out before you go any further. I concurred. For 30 minutes we could not get that breach plug out of the gun. I had to go home and get the tool CVA gives you to get the plug out.

I guess I didn't use enough anti seize lube and I should have brought the breach plug tool with me to the range. Lessoned learned.

This muzzy has been choar since I got it. Its my first inline so I know there is a learning curve with it and I will eventually figure out a good load for it. If not I will get something else.

OP
JGBowman

JGBowman

Lil-Rokslider
After reading the entire thread, I would like to offer some advise. Before sending your gun back I would try a couple of things. First I would go to your local automotive store and buy a tube of valve lapping compound, put it on a cotton patch and polish the barrel. After doing this I would check the bore with a dry patch to see if there was any tight spots in the barrel. If not take the gun and shoot it.
In reference to bore riding bullets try several brands to see what your gun likes. With the federal and other make be sure you have a sizing die. To adjust the bullet to bore you will need both a sizing die and a hand knurling tool. It is best to use a Pin Gage to find the ID of your barrel before sizing your bullets. I always size my bullets on a dirty barrel when using Blackhorn powder. With all others I size on a clean bore. I try to size to about 10 pounds of loading pressure on the bullet.
What is just as important as the size of the bullet and bore is to know how thick the jacket on the bullet is. If the jacket is to thick and the powder charge is to small to bump up the bullet then the bullet will not fly accurately. Another thing that is most important to know about is the twist of your barrel. A fast twist is a 1 in 18 to a 1 in a 24. The fast twist guns shoot heavy bullet’s better than say a 1 in 28 twist which is the industry’s standard. My experience has shown slow twist guns like 225,250 and 275 work best in a 1 in 28 and fast twist guns like 275,300 and 350 bullets better.
I hope this information is helpful and you get it worked out before your hunt, and if not I am sure CVA will take care of your gun and good luck
Thank you for the advice.

I am probably not going to do any of this.

I just wanted a colorado legal rig that I could use in PA for bear as well. I am not a die hard muzzleloader hunter. I figured CVA for have the most user friendly options. CVA suggests using powerbelts, most the information I found they not the best hunting bullet.

I should have done more homework. Part of me bought it cause it looked cool and I thought it was a sweet set up. I wanted to just shoot heavy solid lead conicals for bigger game. CVA in the owner's manual says to not use lead conicals bullets weighing more than 400 grains. I wish I knew this before I bough the gun.

As I stated I will keep playing with it. I will find a load that works eventually. Might even get something else to mess around with. Probably my last CVA I will buy and doubt I would recommend it to others.

GMB54-120

Lil-Rokslider
Before sending your gun back I would try a couple of things. First I would go to your local automotive store and buy a tube of valve lapping compound
Im sorry but Bergara should have done this from the start. After all it has the extra 5 step honing process that earns it the Bergara on the barrel. Maybe Bergara needs to do a better job air gauging after honing...if they even do air gauging at all.

Ive bought numerous Green Mountain barrels and not one had an issue like the OP is having. Maybe its because they actually air gauge a barrel before sending it out. ;)

BPI_Outdoors

FNG
Rokslide Sponsor
I have been looking for an inline muzzleloader that I can use in colorado for elk and PA for bear. I think I want a CVA Accura X 50 cal. I called CVA and they said all of their Accura X 50 cal models are drilled for front sights. I want to put on William's sight. But as I was looking at Accuras and I have a couple questions.

What twist rate do I want? 1:22 or 1:28?
Do I want a 30in or 24in barrel?
Should I get a muzzle break?
Should I buy the 50 cal CVA ACCURA MR-X on camofire.com? https://www.camofire.com/index.php/Deals/6

Thanks in advance!
Well first I would decide on how far I was going to shoot. That would decide on the length of my barrel. If you want to shoot a 30 inch barrel you will need to purchase the LRX . This rifle has a one in 28 twist in the 50 caliber and a 1 in 22 twist in the 45. Your next choice is the Accura MR-X in a 26 inch barrel. Once again if you go with a 50 caliber your twist rate is 1 in 28 and the 45 caliber is a one in 22 twist. As to a muzzle break that will be determined by how recoil sensitive you are and how much powder you plan to shoot. Hope this helps and good luck with your purchase.

OP
JGBowman

JGBowman

Lil-Rokslider
Update:

I was able to shoot the gun at 25 yards. With 90gr of triple 7 and 350gr hollow point lead powerbelt.

As a reminder I bought this same gun with the william's peep site from MidwayUSA

At 25 yards the gun shot 6in low. I adjusted the rear sight as high as it would go. After the adjustment the gun was still 4in low.

I notified William's Site Company that night and left them a message. First thing the next day a William's service rep gave me call and I told them what I was noticing. They indicated the problem was not with me. William's indicated CVA reconfigured the barrels on the Accura and never reconfigured the site they put on the gun. It sound like several people are having the same issue with that purchased the Accura with the William's peep site. The Service Rep said William's has contacted CVA about the issue. CVA is working with William's to provide individuals a higher rear peep to fix the issue at no cost, only the cost of shipping. The William's service rep was great to work with and provided other suggestions, like I might need a lower front site as well. I will definitely be working with William's Site Company again.

So caution to all those looking to buy a CVA Accura LR-X or MR-X with the William's peep site. The configuration they are selling are not ready to rock and roll. Also from my research there are limited options for adjustable peep site for CVA muzzleloaders. Please let me know if anyone has found a good adjustable elevation peep for a CVA Accura. I may consider it if I even keep the gun.