I Want a Hill-Style Bow. Am I Crazy?

Lately I’ve been really jonesing for a straight stick longbow. I started on one that was essentially a selfbow, and kinda miss it sometimes (although when I go back and shoot the selfbow now, it’s a mess). I’d like to get a more “modern” fiberglass laminated bow. Particularly a Northern Mist that has really caught my eye.

Am I crazy for wanting a shockey, slow-ass bow? I think they have some real virtues though, but I’m hesitant without getting my hands on it first

OP
North Idaho Stickbow
I’ve heard good things about the Super D. Especially in the quiet-ness department. If I get one though, I’d go with a true straight-stick I think.

(I meant shockey and slow a little tongue-in-cheek lol)

TxxAgg

WKR
I’ve heard good things about the Super D. Especially in the quiet-ness department. If I get one though, I’d go with a true straight-stick I think.

(I meant shockey and slow a little tongue-in-cheek lol)

I know you were saying that tongue in cheek. :) Good luck. Let us know what you decide.

RCL

WKR
I have been using a Liberty longbow made by Allen Boice and shock has never been an issue.
Great bowyer in Oregon.

Another vote for a Super D... mine is 68" 55@30 and VERY quiet. Ease your transition back to slow/shocky/inferior straight-ish bows 😉
I have had my eye on one of Steve's takedowns though...........
Good luck choosing - there are lots of great ones out there.

Lately I’ve been really jonesing for a straight stick longbow. I started on one that was essentially a selfbow, and kinda miss it sometimes (although when I go back and shoot the selfbow now, it’s a mess). I’d like to get a more “modern” fiberglass laminated bow. Particularly a Northern Mist that has really caught my eye.

Am I crazy for wanting a shockey, slow-ass bow? I think they have some real virtues though, but I’m hesitant without getting my hands on it first
You're right to be hesitant because they are all the things you say. Shockey and slow. But if that's all you use, you quickly get accustomed to it. Just don't try and switch back and forth between a Hill-style bow and a R/D or ILF rig.

That said, they are beautiful and romantic and timeless and everyone should own at least one good Hill-style bow, at least once.

I got the urge to own one again about 5 years ago, so I picked up a used Three Rivers Tomahawk Diamond SS. It was beautiful and shot very well. I've also owned original Howard Hill Wesley Specials. One WS I had was yew and osage. Prolly never shoulda sold that one.

Good luck in your search!

OP
North Idaho Stickbow
Besides speed and shock, which I can probably deal with, my biggest hesitation is probably length. Around here, the brush and timber is so thick, a 66”-70” bow would be cumbersome. Tough in a turkey blind too. Backpacking/biking in with one would be a hassle too, unless it was a takedown.

They are pretty, graceful, romantic even but I can't shoot one very well. Just going from a 66" LB to a 64" Recurve I noticed the length difference. At my draw I would need a 68" D bow... True "D"... I say shoot a few before you decide if you can. Get an elbow brace and a mouthpiece too...lol...

tater

WKR
D-styles are not for everyone, but if you are a fit for them they can be magical. They can take a phenomenal amount of abuse and if set up correctly are infinitely forgiving.

Just like not everyone is made to shoot large caliber rifles, and not all magnums are Westley Richards not everyone is a D-Style shooter and not all d-styles are equal.

They are not all made the same, and some bowyers have the touch and others just should not do what they do. I defy someone to shoot a Harrison longbow and tell me that it is slow or has hand shock.

A.Hutch

FNG
I agree, everyone should have at least one in there collection. If for nothing else just to have. And not everyone can shoot them well or build them well, but when they can... There's that word "magical" it truly feels that way.
Hutch

oldgoat

WKR
I tried one, seen too good of deal to pass up on a 2 piece Toelke Super D, great bow for a D bow, but it got sold quick!

Wrench

WKR
I shot my hill style last week. I'd need to shoot a 15 pound arrow to not be sore. That fugger hurts my elbow from the shock. I hung it up after a few launches before I found target panic.

If you want a Cadillac of grace and ease of transport......the 2 piece Whistler is the answer. Short, sweet to the point and dead in the hand.

slvrslngr

WKR
Good luck, they're not for everyone. I've shot a couple and they both nearly shook the teeth out of my mouth.

MCR

FNG
Lat year I bought a used Mohawk sparrowhawk 66". It is not quite perfectly straight when unstrung. So not a true straight limbed longbow. It is a joy to shoot and and is not slow by any means. Very slight little thump at the shot and no hand shock. Crazy quiet. Not as quick as RD longbow but no slouch. When braced is D shaped. I would look for something like this bow. Plan on taking it out javelina hunting in January. I believe you would like it much better than a true straight stick longbow.

Dutchman

FNG
I shot a Wesley Special once. I should have bought it right then and there. that bow is long gone now, but it shot where I looked and there was ZERO handshock. It kinda depends on your grip...