I Want a Hill-Style Bow. Am I Crazy?

wyben

FNG
My Dave Johnson has the least amount of hand shock of any I've shot. I've shot a few.

slsplets

FNG
Classified Approved
I would have to say from my perspective, Steve at Northern Mist makes an awesome bow! A 2 pc American is incredible. Sold mine because it was too much draw weight for me now. Looking to order another in a lighter weight soon. Steve is a straight shooter, no BS, kind of guy. Call him and chat. He is willing to answer any questions you may have. Can't say enough good things about him.
There are a lot of very accomplished bowyers out there. If that is what you are dreaming of... go for it!

Beendare

WKR
I get it....there is a certain nostalgia to the D bows.

I agree with whomever said it though.....Shoot one and that goes away.

I've got troublesome elbows and they flare up quick shooting those due to the vibration. I get a kick out of guys saying their stable of D bows have no hand shock....

Shoot one before you buy one.

Mudd Foot

WKR
I get it....there is a certain nostalgia to the D bows.

I agree with whomever said it though.....Shoot one and that goes away.

I've got troublesome elbows and they flare up quick shooting those due to the vibration. I get a kick out of guys saying their stable of D bows have no hand shock....

Shoot one before you buy one.

2nd on the elbow and will raise a shoulder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
North Idaho Stickbow
I have one that’s a selfbow. The hand shock doesn’t bother me much, I expect it. I like the idea of a straight grip, and I can shoot with a bent elbow well. I also like the straight, linear-travel limbs. It’s a tough design and I hunt in tough brushy terrain.

The hesitation for me I think is the length. The thick brush and traveling to and from my hunting spots doesn’t get me excited about a 66” + bow.

Ddog

WKR
FWIW, I've killed most of the deer I've shot with a 66" longbow. Mostly from trees, sitting down, bow held almost horizontally. As for truck travel, I can always slip it in the back seat somehow to avoid smacking a tip. You get used to the length quickly after carrying it through the woods a couple times. To me a longer bow is just more forgiving to shoot. As for ASL's, it's all personal preference. I'd for sure shoot one before buying if at all possible. Takes a few shots to get a feel for how to grip 'em.

Beendare

WKR
I’m thinking of getting a JD Berry as another option, since he’s pretty much local and held in very high regard for his bows.
Good choice...one of the best bowyers for that design. I've never heard anything bad about the guys bows.

The degree of difficulty in getting consistent accuracy goes up with those D bows. Its no doubt thats the reason why I'm negative on them...so factor that in when soliciting my opinion. I admire the guys that can shoot them well at the longer ranges.

OP
North Idaho Stickbow
I’m still in honeymoon phase here, but I made the right choice. It lets me have the form of a caveman and still shoots straight. I giggle a little every time I shoot it.

I've never messed with a reverse handle, but they are supposedly more forgiving? Makes sense... maybe some day I'll pick one up, as my form needs all the help it can get 🙂
Have fun!

OP
North Idaho Stickbow
I've never messed with a reverse handle, but they are supposedly more forgiving? Makes sense... maybe some day I'll pick one up, as my form needs all the help it can get 🙂
Have fun!
So, after speaking with Mr. Berry, the benefits of the reverse handle is that it eliminates torque for guys like me that death grip it, and you can get away with a little shorter bow.

sneaky

"DADDY"
View attachment 261462
Well, I went ahead and did it. Picked up a JD Berry Morning Star (66” 54@28, reverse handle) from RMS. I just got it today and shot it a tiny bit before it started pouring on me. So far so good. This thing should be a lot of fun!
Man, just looking at D style bows makes my elbow start hurting. Better you than me!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

You are making me miss my HH Big Five. It had a little bit of shock because it was so light, but truly not bad. I bought a HH copy made by a fairly famous bowyer (20 yrs ago can't remember the name right now) and only put about 3 arrows through that beast before it was in the classifides!
I won't even pretend the Big Five was fast...