I want a new gun

Hey everyone, I've been kicking back and forth the idea of getting a new rifle. I've essentially decided upon a couple different options.

1. Browning X-Bolt Hell's Canyon Speed in .300 WSM or .300 Win Mag
2. Browning X-Bolt Pro .300 WSM or .300 Win Mag
3. Tikka T3x in .300 WSM or .300 Win Mag

This will be an elk gun for me, which somewhat explains my caliber choice. Another reason for these calibers is because I already reload .308, so ammo would be easy to reload after adding dies and working up a load. I'm favoring the browning options because they are threaded from the manufacturer, so I can run a brake. However, I can’t make up my mind so help me out!

Last edited:

FURMAN

WKR
My money is on the Pro Win Mag. The Tikka will have a short magazine and slow twist.

Last edited:

KINGSNAKE

WKR
Of that list I would go Hells Canyon. I just bought a Fierce 300 win mag and I still want a hells canyon 6.5

Last edited:

jfs82

WKR
I was down to hells canyon speed vs bergara rdige recently. I saved some and went ridge, but sure do like the speed too.

BCD

WKR
I'm looking for an elk rifle as well. I started thinking Tikka but honestly just did not care for them at all. I was then thinking Hells Canyon Speed in 300 WIN but the 26 inch barrel is a lot. I'm almost certain I will go with the Hells Canyon Speed in 300 WSM (23 inch barrel).

I'd be all over the X-Bolt Pro Stainless. It has a fluted barrel, fluted bolt, extended handle and a carbon fiber stock. I just wished it came in a 300 H&H.

If you are looking for the rifle to shoot as delivered then the Xbolt is a no brainer IMO - Moruko barrels are arguably some of the best in the industry and the Xbolt action is very very well designed - I'm not a 26" barrel guy but to each their own and you can always easily have it trimmed down if you don't like it that long - Up to 338 Win Mag IMO a brake is not needed (and are nothing more than a big PIA again IMO) but that said, threaded for a "can" is another idea all together

OP
N
If you are looking for the rifle to shoot as delivered then the Xbolt is a no brainer IMO - Moruko barrels are arguably some of the best in the industry and the Xbolt action is very very well designed - I'm not a 26" barrel guy but to each their own and you can always easily have it trimmed down if you don't like it that long - Up to 338 Win Mag IMO a brake is not needed (and are nothing more than a big PIA again IMO) but that said, threaded for a "can" is another idea all together

Brake is probably not needed per se but much appreciated. Right now I’m located in california, but won’t be for too much longer.

Brake is probably not needed per se but much appreciated. Right now I’m located in california, but won’t be for too much longer.
Ya, I hear ya - with each decision comes the "pros vs. cons" dilemma (if you are shooting near others you might ask them to weigh in on that brake though)

jfs82

WKR
I’m not sure how I feel about bergara. Make great firearms, I just don’t think the aftermarket support is quite there yet.

That's understandable, I don't plan on tinkering with it too much, great barrel already, glass reinforced stock (still not special but doesnt need replacing) and the trigger is great.

Mike 338

WKR
"I want a new gun"

Don't we all!

300 short mag looks like it'll be around for a very long time. Folks seem to like 'em too. Everybody wants a long barrel but let me tell ya... they're no fun to lug around. That 23" barrel on the Speed 300 short mag seems like a sweet package.

I bought the Tikka in 300wm, and it shoots lights out. I like every thing about it mechanically, just wish they had a nicer trigger guard and magazine that comes with...those seem cheap. The action is smooth as silk, and can’t argue with 1/2” groups...