I want to improve mule deer habitat on my land

Mmcan

WKR
Hi Roksliders,
I recently purchased 80 acres in 71 and want to improve the habitat for the mulies up there. I also want to purchase enough adjoining and contiguous land so I can get "landowner privileges". Ive tried contacting the mule deer federation, and just started on monster mulies. I will add some watering areas, have already planted some grasses that will germinate and grow late spring, and have read many papers about what the MD's like to eat where they like to stay,... I'm just looking for some info from anyone w firsthand experience. Do any of you have personal experience with working your land with similar goals? Thanks in advance.

I'm not familiar with 71 but is it year round range for the deer or seasonal and if so what season?
Their needs change throughout the year. Identify what they need and then is that lacking on your property? If so what can you do to address it.
True habitat changes are a lifetime of work and usually not cheap.
If you want to talk specifics feel free to pm me.

What you're asking is along the lines of what I do for a living and I've poked around in GMU's 70/71 a little. To give you anything useful I'd have to know more about the property, specifically elevation, aspect, existing vegetation communities, and what your goals are. Feel free to PM or email me.

OP
M

Mmcan

WKR
What elevation and part of the unit? I've hunted that unit quite a bit over the years...

Its about 7600ft and abuts BLM,near Dolores so I could potentially impact a large area. I think the first issue is to increase the amount of water in the area. I've seen some rain collectors that RMEF uses and am thinking about putting some of those on the property.

OP
M

Mmcan

WKR
More water, more food.
Check

What do you recommend re predators vs Mule deer? There are coyotes, bobcats, bears, and mountain lions in the area, of course. I understand I can take coyotes on my property at any time (and I will), but I'm not wild about killing the cougars just yet, even though they are a huge impact on the population of many species. Take em? Leave em alone? I'll make some popcorn.

Gr8bawana

WKR
What kind of grasses did you plant? I thought mule deer were browsers and did not eat grass.

This is from the Mule Deer Foundation.
Mule deer are primarily browsers, with a majority of their diet comprised of forbs (weeds) and browse (leaves and twigs of woody shrubs).

Deer digestive tracts differ from cattle and elk in that they have a smaller rumen in relation to their body size, so they must be more selective in their feeding. Instead of eating large quantities of low-quality feed like grass, deer must select the most nutritious plants and parts of plants.

Because of this, deer have more specific forage requirements than larger ruminants.

Check these two management guides out. What I use for work. Pack, Mackie, and Jorgensen, 1991. Hamlin and Mackie, 1989.

OP
M

Mmcan

WKR
It's a blend of seeds called Henry Mountain Blend. It has wheatgrass (a couple of types), alfalfa, sanfoin, eski, clover, orchard grass, blue flax. I chose it because it's a perennial blend that you plant late fall, and it germinates over winter. It also grows without irrigation, and it was developed for an area that is very similar to mine. I have tons of sage, cedar, juniper, as well as gamble/scrub oak that produced an amazing amount of acorns, and pinion.
The deer are not there year round. They go lower when the snow gets deep, and head higher in spring. But by late summer and especially in fall, they come down in large numbers. I'd like to see more of them, and try to provide them better habitat if possible.

critrgitr

Lil-Rokslider
Create a good source of water for them to drink from. If it's heavy timber or brushed create open areas for the sun to reach the grass and shrub understory to promote growth. Pinyon/ Junipers really suck up available water on any site and choke out more beneficial to wildlife species of vegetation. Cut in a mosaic pattern with some safety cover not just a giant clear cut. Depending on site, you may or may not have to reseed. Some interseeding could generally be beneficial. Shrub species like bitterbrush and mountain mahogany are very beneficial and preferred by the deer. The number one best thing you can do to improve the area for mule deer is to kill everything that kills a deer (within season and legal limits) like coyotes, bobcats, mountain lions, and bears.

Most areas of the state have cost share programs that could also help you. That small of an acreage may not qualify for all of the programs. Check with the game warden in the area as well as NRCS. The local NRCS office should also be able to give you some great information as to which species will grow best in your area and how/when to seed them.

OP
M

Mmcan

WKR
Create a good source of water for them to drink from. If it's heavy timber or brushed create open areas for the sun to reach the grass and shrub understory to promote growth. Pinyon/ Junipers really suck up available water on any site and choke out more beneficial to wildlife species of vegetation. Cut in a mosaic pattern with some safety cover not just a giant clear cut. Depending on site, you may or may not have to reseed. Some interseeding could generally be beneficial. Shrub species like bitterbrush and mountain mahogany are very beneficial and preferred by the deer. The number one best thing you can do to improve the area for mule deer is to kill everything that kills a deer (within season and legal limits) like coyotes, bobcats, mountain lions, and bears.

Most areas of the state have cost share programs that could also help you. That small of an acreage may not qualify for all of the programs. Check with the game warden in the area as well as NRCS. The local NRCS office should also be able to give you some great information as to which species will grow best in your area and how/when to seed them.

Thank you for these recommendations. There are plenty of open areas as well as cover afforded by trees/brush. I think my main course of action is to see how the seeds come through, add several watering areas, and take as many coyotes as possible. They are fairly active when the deer are in the area. But I guess the other predators are as well. They will follow the food.