I want to see your smallest legal bull

njdoxie

WKR
3x3 with 6" brow tines for my first Elk last year in CO 1st rifle

I would’ve let that walk since it looks like a 3x3 with one inch brow tines....are the 6 inch brow tines those points about a foot from the base? What are those one inch tines at the base? Those aren’t brow times? Just trying to learn, legal bulls can be hard to come by, don’t want to let a non-standard one slip by. What is the definition of a brow time? Is it the first point up from the base?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wapiti1

WKR
3x3 with 6" brow tines for my first Elk last year in CO 1st rifle

Tell us that you measured the horn and one of those longer points are on the lower half of the antler.

A brow tine is defined as a point on the lower half of the antler. In CO, it also has to be 5" long. Other states allow shorter, but use the same definition otherwise.

We are dead serious on this. Please check it out. We want nothing more than for you to have a long and happy elk hunting career.

Jeremy

Last edited:

L.Creed

FNG
That is not a legal Colorado bull from what I can tell. G1s are not 5”. There are no g2s, the points you’re counting as legal brows are the G3’s and not brow tines.
That picture is misleading but I immediately called and went to the CPW office after getting out of the woods and was cleared by the officer.

Attachments

• IMG_20191020_131135.jpg
    IMG_20191020_131135.jpg
    375.2 KB · Views: 174
That is not a legal Colorado bull from what I can tell. G1s are not 5”. There are no g2s, the points you’re counting as legal brows are the G3’s and not brow tines.

I’m not very knowledgeable on this. How does it have G3’s when it doesn’t have 2’s? I thought you counted up the beam?

I looked at some B&C scoring guides but couldn’t figure this out.

Wapiti1

WKR
I’m not very knowledgeable on this. How does it have G3’s when it doesn’t have 2’s? I thought you counted up the beam?

I looked at some B&C scoring guides but couldn’t figure this out.

He is referring to the point that would typically be the G3 on a fully mature bull.

This bull is a raghead, so his antler growth is unpredictable, and you are correct has no G2, which would technically mean the next point up is the G2 from a scoring sheet standpoint. Those that score mature bulls would call that point a G3 based solely on position and ignore actual number of points.

Hope that makes sense.

Jeremy

fishslap

WKR
That picture is misleading but I immediately called and went to the CPW office after getting out of the woods and was cleared by the officer.
Good deal. That first pic looked like one inchers. What did they measure out at? Congrats on your bull.

EKyhookr

FNG

I stand corrected. Very misleading. Good for you on doing the right thing. Congrats.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
3f5fd34004dac7431ada21a8b9895ec4.jpg

eltaco

WKR
Love this thread! This is real life right here, folks!

Had one weekend to hunt locally in an either sex unit before heading out for a LE AZ tag, so decided I would shoot the first elk I saw. Called in a spike my first morning out, and 2 minutes later a 280” 6x6 walked in to 10yds.

Just had to shake my head in disbelief, but in the end, I was over the moon to have a tag filled on such a short timeline!

I ended up not filling that AZ tag, so made it extra special to have meat in the freezer that year!

vBC

FNG
Thanks for sharing these cool pictures. Any elk is a success and too often we focused too much on the antler. Love this tread.

Sled

WKR
I'm so glad no one has mentioned a "cull bull", a truly disgusting descriptor.

That's a deer hunters term, specifically whitetail. When you feed and "manage" the animals in the field the term "cull" often shows up. That doesn't happen too often when your target animal roams a whole national forest vs your 40 acre plot.

And yes, more to your point it says you don't care much for the animal.

DavePwns

WKR
20200804_224948.jpg
Got super lucky and put an arrow through this guy still hunting timber on my 4th day of ever elk hunting. It honestly changed my life, also I learned that solo field dressing an elk takes 9-10 hours 😂