I want to see your smallest legal bull

njdoxie

WKR
A brow tine is defined as a point on the lower half of the antler. In CO, it also has to be 5" long. Other states allow shorter, but use the same definition.
Jeremy

Isn’t a brow tine the 1st tine up from the base? You make it sound as if any tine on the lower half of the beam could be declared the brow tine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

njdoxie

WKR
Another real man thread! Love the pics, I’d take any of them!

Yep, any legal bull in CO is the one I take, can be damned hard to lay eyes on one as evidenced by the overall success rates of around 20%. After killing a few raghorns, thought I was ready for trophy hunting.....after a couple years of eating tag, I decided I’m not cut out for trophy hunting, so I went back to taking the first legal bull I see....and I’m much happier.

Wapiti1

WKR
Isn’t a brow tine the 1st tine up from the base? You make it sound as if any tine on the lower half of the beam could be declared the brow tine.

It's the way the regulation is written. Yes, ANY tine 5" long on the lower half of one antler makes it a legal bull in a brow tine required unit. I'm not making it sound that way, it is that way from a regulation standpoint. As far as the game and fish folks are concerned that is a brow tine.

Is that a brow tine? Not from a standard horn configuration standpoint, but it makes no difference if you are just after a legal bull.

Tine? Yes. 5" long? Yes. Lower half of antler? Yes. Stop asking questions and shoot.

Jeremy

Finch

WKR
3x3 with 6" brow tines for my first Elk last year in CO 1st rifle

Wow, this had me fooled too and I studied the photo a good minute still thinking it wasn't a legal bull. I see the brow shadow now too.

This is one of my worries. Overstudying a bull in the field making sure its legal and then missing a shot opportunity. Still better than shooting an illegal one though.

Enjoying this thread!

Wyoming in an any elk area. He was a 3x3. Ate good. Funny thing he was trailing a 6x6 but i decided I may not be able to catch up to him so
I settled for what was in front of me. At the shot he ran 70 yards and fell over. As I stood there here comes another 6x6 although not very big on the same trail. Oh well I was the only 1 in our group of 4 to go home with an elk that year.

Attachments

• B2258CD1-65CA-4039-B7C7-2F3CD6BE4FB4.jpeg
    B2258CD1-65CA-4039-B7C7-2F3CD6BE4FB4.jpeg
    529.5 KB · Views: 25
B9DECFDF-15EF-45E5-AC03-AAF22ED086D5.jpeg

Psh. I’m the king of little elk here lol! Here’s a spike killed in December, late archery season. It was the first year I hunted with traditional tackle, and I was pretty disappointed after having zero luck all fall. Lo and behold, I found this dude hanging out with some mule deer of all things.