I want to start shooting a traditional set up. Where to start?

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Hello,

When I was growing up, we always had bows because where I lived, there was archery only seasons so it was a way to get another chance to hunt, I never really considered myself a bowhunter but I bow hunted yearly and even a bit of muzzle loader just for the opportunities to hunt. That being said, I've done very little archery over the past ~ 20 years and havn't bow hunted since ~ 2008.

Right now, I want to get into traditional archery both for fun and for a good hunting challenge, I don't really know where to start though, I was looking at some Fred /Bear bows at a bass pro a few weeks ago, I looked at a grizzly and a montana long bow, both were cool but I don't know where to start....long bow? recurve? is bear good? what other brands should I be looking at? what advice can you give me to start? I live in Alaska, I wouldn't mind trying to get my moose next year with a bow (of course I'll just do it with a rifle if the bow thing dosent work out).

Thanks!!!

ethan

WKR
The best advice is to find someone that can walk you through everything, but since your posting here I’m sure that’s not the case. I think most people shoot recurves better than they shoot longbows. That being said, different bows fit different people and if you don’t have access to several bows to try out that can make it challenging. Sammick makes a pretty decent bow for the money, especially starting out. I would recommend buying an inexpensive LOW POUNDAGE bow and learning to shoot with proper form. You can check out The Push Archery and their shooting mechanics course. It’s a fantastic resource and you’ll eliminate a ton of the learning curve by learning proper form right off and not develop bad habits.
Also, shooting a trad bow is supposed to be fun so don’t take it to seriously! Good luck!

Last edited:

NomadHunter603

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve been going down this road a bit the last year or so. For just starting, I’d look into a sage samick take down recurve, probably about $130 bucks. That’s what I first bought and then I recently bought a PSE Terra long bow for $180. I’m a complete noob haha but I seem to like the long bow better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gsquared

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve been going down this road a bit the last year or so. For just starting, I’d look into a sage samick take down recurve, probably about $130 bucks. That’s what I first bought and then I recently bought a PSE Terra long bow for $180. I’m a complete noob haha but I seem to like the long bow better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kgentry

Lil-Rokslider
I have a pse stalker that I will hunt with this year. I’m pretty new to this as well in my case I have a buddy that hunts with a recurve so he’s been helping me quite a bit. One of the biggest things is building an arrow thats splined properly for your bow. When I bought my recurve I was shooting some arrows that weren’t the right spline and I was getting frustrated because I could never get any consistency in my shooting which lead to me putting the bow down. My buddy is helping me get an arrow setup that’s proper for my bow and getting me back into it. Stay patient it’s not easy remember to have fun and enjoy it!

Wrench

WKR
That samick get a lot of chatter....almost all good. You have a #50 draw requirement iirc, depending on your athletic abilities you might be able to start there....but I'd suggest something in the #35 area to work on form.

You can get a he'll of good shooting bow in the $300's.....but it has to be good for you.

OP
thinhorn_AK

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Thanks for all the advice, keep it coming. I stay pretty fit so 50lbs doesn’t seem to bad, I used to do 70 on my compound but I realize there isn’t a let off with a grad bow.

Thanks for all the advice, keep it coming. I stay pretty fit so 50lbs doesn’t seem to bad, I used to do 70 on my compound but I realize there isn’t a let off with a grad bow.
Assuming 80% let-off, your holding weight will be right around triple that of your compound, give or take, depending on your draw length, FWIW.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

I second the sage. I started with 35lb limbs then moved up to 50lb after 6 months or so. Even 50lbs is tough to shoot, and you really have to shoot a ton to maintain the strength needed for good form.

Some great stuff on YouTube in terms of setting everything up. I would advise you to not overthink tuning, especially at the beginning. Get in the ballpark with your arrow setup and shoot a ton. Your form will change so much that trying to fine tune early on will be pointless.

Good thread....I can relate. Did it, and never forgot what it's like to accept the challenge.

Given your setting and what you've told us, I would have you in a 50-55 pound bow (for hunting moose) and logically a recurve or hybrid longbow of maybe 62". The perfect scenario would be a TD bow with an extra set of 35-40 pound limbs for building strength, technique and form. I would be sure that bow had a window cut at least to center, or possibly a little past center making it more accepting of a variety of shaft diameters and spines. I'd set you up with good carbon shafts and a quality 2 or 3 blade cut-on-contact broadhead.

Development: I wouldn't let you shoot the heavier limbs or bow until your strength allowed full draw, anchor and control without shaking or snap shooting. Use the bow (no arrow) to exercise and gain strength. Work at it every day for several weeks and your muscles will come around. Start shooting too early and your brain will try to learn bad habits and shortcuts. Trust me....trust us.

I don't know your budget for entry. It's possible to go very cheap but be careful. In my case I absolutely knew I was 100% all-in on a stickbow and my first was a Black Widow....then a custom Bob Thompson Zipper followed by a Robertson. I shot the heck out of them all and never regretted the money spent as I knew I had a quality hunting bow in my hands from the get-go. If just testing the water of traditional bowhunting, I'd send you to a quality source of bows and supplies where they could guide your choices while helping you manage the cost.

Jbehredt

WKR
I’ve been feeling the same itch for a couple off seasons now. Good thing for me is RMS Gear is a 20 minute drive across town so when it does happen I’ll have every opportunity to get started right.

oldgoat

WKR
Hello,

When I was growing up, we always had bows because where I lived, there was archery only seasons so it was a way to get another chance to hunt, I never really considered myself a bowhunter but I bow hunted yearly and even a bit of muzzle loader just for the opportunities to hunt. That being said, I've done very little archery over the past ~ 20 years and havn't bow hunted since ~ 2008.

Right now, I want to get into traditional archery both for fun and for a good hunting challenge, I don't really know where to start though, I was looking at some Fred /Bear bows at a bass pro a few weeks ago, I looked at a grizzly and a montana long bow, both were cool but I don't know where to start....long bow? recurve? is bear good? what other brands should I be looking at? what advice can you give me to start? I live in Alaska, I wouldn't mind trying to get my moose next year with a bow (of course I'll just do it with a rifle if the bow thing dosent work out).

Thanks!!!
There's some good recent threads on this I'll link for you in case you didn't see them! But to sum up what's in them, buy a cheap low weight setup and get some coaching, looks like you're in Alaska so that may be tough to do, so spend the money you saved buying a cheap setup to buy Solid Archery Mechanics web based coaching. And if there's any chance you're near Tyler Freel, I'd latch onto his coattails, he's had some in person coaching from Tom Clum and has a good handle on things! Tyler has a strong Social Media presence for you to reach him, he might be a good source of info on what's available there!

sneaky

"DADDY"
Do NOT start out with a 50# setup or you'll lose out on building proper form and enjoyment. Find a bow you can switch limbs on, and start light and work your way up. Number 1 mistake new trad shooters make is being overbowed from the beginning.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

GLB

WKR
I agree with starting lightweight. Probably the most common mistake for new shooters is to over bow themselves. Start with somewhere between 30 and 40lbs at your draw length. Learn proper form and go from there. what a wonderful world you are stepping into. Enjoy the journey.

Austink47

WKR
I started hunting with a recurve then after moving out west went down the compound road. Now I am looking to get back into trad. My plan is to buy an ILF riser and some light #40 limbs and focus on form. I figure #40 will be perfect for thumping grouse. Then pic up some big game weight limbs when the time comes. Good luck and have fun.

GregB

WKR
Do NOT start out with a 50# setup or you'll lose out on building proper form and enjoyment. Find a bow you can switch limbs on, and start light and work your way up. Number 1 mistake new trad shooters make is being overbowed from the beginning.

This is absolutely true I can tell you from personal experience. I shot 70# out of my compound, got a 50# recurve and wasted a lot of time building bad habits, short drawing the bow and getting frustrated. Go light and if you can get a coach

ODB

WKR
My advice: don’t overthink it. Find yourself a used #45 lb recurve like a super kodiak, get some properly spined aluminum arrows (.017 or .020 wall thickness preferably), and have fun.

a lot of guys spend a lot of time working on the mental part of this game and worrying about every little single technical detail, only to realize it was worrying about their mental game and all those technical details that was holding them back.

Last edited:

sneaky

"DADDY"
My advice: don’t overthink it. Find yourself a used #45 lb recurve like a super kodiak, get some properly spined aluminum arrows (.017 or .020 wall thickness preferably), and have fun.

a lot of guys spend a lot of time working on the mental part of this game and worrying about every little single technical detail, only to realize it was worrying about their mental game and all those technical details that was holding them back.
There's nothing mental about developing good form, but hey, let him have at it.