I was gonna go hunting today, but then...

Squamch

WKR
Well, dad called me on Wednesday. "There's a soft spot in the floor by my gunroom, could you come up and have a look, see if you can fix it?"
"Sure, I'll come up Saturday morning." Hmmm....maybe I'll be able to take my rifle for a walk that afternoon/evening on the way home.

Well...I'm probably not going to be hunting in September.
The sump pump failed last winter, and water poured in. A plumber came and "fixed" it. Dad shop vac'd the water up, and said it was no biggie, baseboards didn't swell, laminate flooring in the gun room was fine.
Well yeah, because the water poured into the sunken section of the pad, that had the gun room floor built over it. The exploratory hole got pretty big, pretty quick.
The soft/sunken spot.
20200919_093923.jpg

The exploratory hole
20200919_102056.jpg

Bad words were being said by this point.
20200919_113428.jpg

He has to empty the gun room this week, then we go to the other side of the wall and rip all that floor out next Saturday. At least I'll have my sister's help next week. She's also a tradie, and isn't a crippled 66 year old man like dad, so that will help.
20200919_145237.jpg

That black pipe? Conduit for the security system. Brimming with water.

I pulled the old pump (dead, definitely not fixed), flushed the line (clogged with rocks and dirt from creek it drains into, from the flood last winter), cleaned put the cistern (gotta do all the drain lines leading to it next week with the pressure washer), and replaced the sump pump.
20200919_125331.jpg

Power lines for the pump were a bitch. See the angle the "conduit" leaves the cistern at? See where it comes up out of the concrete to the siding? Neat. Thanks guys!

Last edited:

TheGDog

WKR
Wow... well... now I don't feel so bad about the slab leak we had to address last month. Sorry man. Looks like quite an undertaking.

def90

WKR
Your dad doesn’t seem to be all that concerned about it, I would finish cleaning it up, finish your september hunt and get back at it when the season is over. The hole in the floor isn’t going anywhere.

Jauwater

WKR
Ahh, man I feel for yall. Imma plumber, see a lot of this kinda stuff. Good on you, though

Sent from my SM-S506DL using Tapatalk

Britt-dog

Lil-Rokslider
My fathers inability to address maintenance issues with his home would not affect my hunting plans. I would absolutely help him and repair everything, but on my schedule. Get everything to a state where there will be no further damage then make the final repairs when it is more convenient.

Rich M

WKR
Kudos. I do the same stuff, usually with dad directing everything. Bite tongue, do work. Will miss him when he moves on.

OP
Squamch

Squamch

WKR
Uggh. Water damage can be worse than fire damage.

I'll take either one over "3 week old dead body that got found because fluids leaked through the ceiling of the unit below" damage.

Yeah, I did restoration work for awhile...it wasn't my favourite job that I've had. Cleaning blood off 3 floors of elevators after a meth dealer got bone checked and left to bleed out against the elevator door wasn't super fun either.
Nice thing about that one was elevator techs won't let anyone else in the shaft, so they cleaned up the mess inside.

cwj

FNG
Seems like your luck is like mine I can’t ever do anything I have planned! That looks like a mess good luck with it.

OP
Squamch

Squamch

WKR
Better you deal with now than during winter.

They're supposed to get a couple inches of rain where they are this week, and 4-5 inches forecast in 24hrs north of them. They live at the base of the hills, so dad's filling sandbags today to line the creekbank with. When I heard about the forecast I immediately switched gears to sump pump fixing!

That is awesome to do that for a family member. Wish I had some family that would help with some stuff like that without charging me like a customer, lol. It is what it is. We all gotta make a living. That looks an awful lot like what ill be doing when I demo my upstairs bathroom... not looking forward to all the rot ill find in the floor but gotta find the leak. Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk