I was hesitant to use the 143 ELD-X in my 6.5 PRC

I think speed is the enemy of the ELD-X. I’ve killed or seen killed low double digit animals with them and haven’t had an issue yet, but these are heavy for caliber bullets coming out of 18-20” barrels starting out in the 2800’s

Fatcamp

WKR
Dang. I see nothing like that out of a Creedmoor. Kills stuff dead with solid pass through.

carter33

WKR
Yep, I bought a really fast gun, shooting long range bullets of a different brand, similar experience. I’ve gone partition or similar pretty much. I will be trying some hammers, bad experience with TSX after some good ones, so I’d like something with a sure collateral damage chance, less pencil chance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are you referring to the original barnes TSX not the TTSX or LRX? I ask because I have had only good success with the TTSX and have heard only good result with the LRX as well. I have however heard a few pencil reports from the original non tipped TSX.

As for the eldx I shot three animals this last year with the 143 out of my 6.5PRC with somewhat bewildering results. The first was a smaller caribou around 200 yards with the first shot hitting lung. I knew it was a decent shot but the caribou acted as if it wasn’t hit. Second shot was about an inch back and the caribou oddly enough sauntered a few feet before dropping. Not perfect placement but iv never seen a caribou respond so little from a reasonably placed first round shot. Neither round exited. Internal damage was underwhelming for a fragmenting bullet.

Second animal was a mountain goat at about 80 yards. Bullet performed great. Took out top of the lungs and really seemed to hammer him and exited with a nice exit hole.

Third animal was a caribou at 470 quartering away with probably the best placed shot of the three. Went through lungs and exited with a good exit wound. Caribou dropped after a dozen steps or so and I could immediately tell it wasn’t going far.

I could agree speed is not a friend to this bullet but seems odd my closest range had good performance, the farthest range performed great but the medium range disappointing results leave me a little confounded.

Think I’m gonna go back to the ttsx, lrx or maybe give the hammers a go.

carter33

WKR
Another caribou was killed with my 6.5 creedmor with the 143 eldx I had loaned out but was there for the kill. This was with the factory stuff and it performed well with a shoulder shot at about 120 yards. No complaints there. Maybe 3/4 isn’t bad but leaves me wondering...

WTFJohn

WKR
I had the exact same experience with my 6.5 PRC with a 143 eldx two nights ago on a whitetail doe at 165 yds; the bullet destroyed the shoulder going in and a portion of the jacket exited in the offside ribs. She sprinted 35 yds and balled up dead. I’ve also killed/seen a few elk die with the 143, all fell within a few yards of being hit but no exit wound and not tons of blood from the entry. We also killed 3 elk with 127 lrx’s, they were dead in a few yards and had great blood from both entry and exit wounds. I personally prefer the LRX/TTSX over the eldx (this holds for other calibers too).

steffen707

Lil-Rokslider
Because I’ve been a staunch Nosler Accubond fan for a few years now with tons of excellent results. Picked up a Christensen MPR in 6.5 PRC and located some factory ELD-X. I’ve read good things, and I’ve read bad things. Well, I now have a sample of one. This is entrance side on a 95 lb whitetail doe at 260 yards, and isn’t acceptable IMO. Shot placement was perfect about 2” behind the front shoulder. Somehow, the front shoulder on the entrance side was 80% destroyed and the off hand shoulder, even with a 4” exit hole behind the shoulder indicating she was nearly perfectly broadside, was 90% destroyed. Gelatinous meat. Incredibly, she ran 10-15 yards too. Which isn’t a big deal but bewildering.

View attachment 244899

I have some 140 gr Accubonds coming from @Unknown Munitions , I need them ASAP! Will likely give the ELD-X one more opportunity before they arrive.
So glad you posted this. I've used the same BAR 270 for 23 years (since i was 14), i've been using the same ammo for the past 12 years I'd guess, 270 Win 130 gr InterLock® SP American Whitetail® with great success. Shot 9 times, killed 9 deer. 6 dropped right where shot, and 3 ran 15-70 yards. I was always bummed that 3/4 of the bucks didn't die right away (boiler room broadside shots).

I'm looking to build a light mountain gun, short barrel supressed rifle and was thinking maybe the 6.5PRC because it has higher velocity on factory ammo than the 270; however, not many rounds available, and if the only 1 hornady sells does THIS to a deer, I don't want that.

Any other factory ammo that is bonded? I'll go search.

Can't have a free lunch and eat it to. ELD-X is trying to do everything and within that it does a heck of a job.
The ELD-M I haven't noticed any significant difference if any. Both kill quite well. Best meat preservation bullet i've seen so far is a Remington corelocked. Perfect flower, in one shoulder of a big roosa and loged in the outgoing shoulder, no exit, very little meat damage. Ran 100 yrds though. Can't expect DRT and meat preservation IMO.

ianpadron

WKR
Because I’ve been a staunch Nosler Accubond fan for a few years now with tons of excellent results. Picked up a Christensen MPR in 6.5 PRC and located some factory ELD-X. I’ve read good things, and I’ve read bad things. Well, I now have a sample of one. This is entrance side on a 95 lb whitetail doe at 260 yards, and isn’t acceptable IMO. Shot placement was perfect about 2” behind the front shoulder. Somehow, the front shoulder on the entrance side was 80% destroyed and the off hand shoulder, even with a 4” exit hole behind the shoulder indicating she was nearly perfectly broadside, was 90% destroyed. Gelatinous meat. Incredibly, she ran 10-15 yards too. Which isn’t a big deal but bewildering.

View attachment 244899

I have some 140 gr Accubonds coming from @Unknown Munitions , I need them ASAP! Will likely give the ELD-X one more opportunity before they arrive.
Your experience mirrors mine exactly with the 143s, way too explosive, even at Creedmoor velocities.

I have had great luck with eldx bullets in 6.5 creedmore, 6.5 prc, and 300 win mag. Roughly 10 kills in last 3 years between myself, my son and daughter. All 1 shot kills. like Someone else said no perfect bullet for all ranges and if you have ever lost an animal you are not as concerned about losing a couple of lbs of shoulder meat as I want a dead animal.

6.5 prc 725 yards on mule deer was perfect. baseball size exit hole and buck went 20 yards and died

6.5 prc 325 yards on mule deer and same result

6.5 prc on 5*5 bull at 300 yards. No exit but went 20 yards and piled up

6.5 creedmore multiple one shot kills with 143 eldx all under 200 yards

300 win mag 212 eldx bull at 80 yards impressive softball size exit wound. A few other kills at under 300 yards
Maybe I have just been lucky but I have seen no failures of an eldx.