I went to the dark side..

MadDawg

Lil-Rokslider
Well everyone, after a lot of debating with myself... Im a mental nutcase, I know.... I finally decided to do it.... Sell my recurve. JUST KIDDING:LOL:.

But forreal I have decided to run 4 inch vanes off a bear weather rest just for kicks this season and see how it works. I decided since I have killed a bunch of deer the "traditional" way, I figured why not? Has anyone else ever went "untraditional" for a season?

Nothing wrong with vanes at all, in fact I think they are far more practical than any feather set up could ever be.

I use both feathers and vanes but on extended hunts where I know that feathers will take a beating I'd opt for vanes every time. It was raining most of the weekend when I shot my first bear this past spring so I used vanes.

I thought shooting vanes from a stick bow was no bueno. Before I got my arrows built I tried using one from my CB and it flew crazy. Completely missed the target and busted it. Are not feathers the only way to go with trad?

You have to use an elevated rest like a Bear weather rest or whatever it's called. Pretty simple.

Vanes off the shelf are going to fly terrible in most all cases.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
Hoyt Hunter rest is much more forgiving than a Bear Weatherest and I’ve never had any issues with durability. AAE has a new Trad Vane out that can be shot off the shelf. I doubt I will try it as I have found NO disadvantage to using a simple rest. Every stickbow I’ve ever had has been much easier to tune with an elevated rest.

I have no vane-ity. I haven't shot anything with vanes for over 30 years. BUT, they're fine....until I hold them up to my stained spruce shafting. Sort of like plastic chairs at an oak table.......lol

Kevin, how do you keep the vanes looking serviceable on a 10+ day moose/caribou hunt? No question about it, you're arrows look mighty fine compared to carbon and plastic but after a few days pounding brush, etc. on Kodiak last fall I was sure glad I brought a half dozen arrows with vanes so I could swap out the torn up feathered arrows.

Not sure what I can say Nick. I've used carbon and wood shafting, but always with feather fletching. I glue them well (no tape ever) and then I do a good waterproofing of the fletch. In heavy weather I use a fletching bonnet to cover things up. My feathers might look a little matted at times, but never ratty. I can easily steam them back to shape over the camp stove if needed.

How do you waterproof feathers? I expect serious monsoonal rains in the Kaibab this summer.

As mentioned, the silicone sprays work nicely. There is also a hydrophobic powder product available which does an amazing job of repelling water. It takes a little time to apply, but I like it. And because it's a powder, you can bring some of it along for use during a hunt if necessary. Bohning Feather-Dri Powder is available from many sources including 3 Rivers Archery.

bobinmi

WKR
I use a hoyt super hunter rest and have for a while. I've also shot vanes for a while and I shoot with a dedicated fixed crawl aiming system.