I won a 338 lapua mag....now what?

buckwalleye

Lil-Rokslider
I bought a $5 raffle ticket sponsored by a local fire department, and won! Savage 112 338 lapua with a buris 6.5x20x50 scope (not sure of model). Says on the ticket MSRP $1400. This gun is pretty much useless to me. But I can use approximate value and get whatever I'd like. Currently my largest rifle caliber is 6.5cm tikka t3x. (Recently sold a 30-06 that I never cared for). So I was thinking about getting a 300 win mag. Between the 6.5cm and a 300wm I think that'd cover all bases of critters I may draw a tag for.

I got roughly $1000 to play with. I was thinking of a bergara b14 hunter (or ridge....can someone explain the difference here? ), with a leupold vx3i 4x14x40. For a $700ish rifle, I've read and watched good things. Also on my radar a weatherby vanguard (I kinda like the badlands model). And if someone could explain the different vanguard models that go from $500 - $1000+, what's changing between models? (Besides stocks....are there and internal components, barrel, etc. that are different between models?)

Good problem for me to have right now....deciding what to do with free money to go gun shopping with!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Bergara = improved Rem m700 clone action.
Vanguard = weatherby branded howa action.

The B-14 Ridge would be my choice.

gelton

WKR
I bought a $5 raffle ticket sponsored by a local fire department, and won! Savage 112 338 lapua with a buris 6.5x20x50 scope (not sure of model). Says on the ticket MSRP $1400. This gun is pretty much useless to me. But I can use approximate value and get whatever I'd like. Currently my largest rifle caliber is 6.5cm tikka t3x. (Recently sold a 30-06 that I never cared for). So I was thinking about getting a 300 win mag. Between the 6.5cm and a 300wm I think that'd cover all bases of critters I may draw a tag for.

I got roughly $1000 to play with. I was thinking of a bergara b14 hunter (or ridge....can someone explain the difference here? ), with a leupold vx3i 4x14x40. For a $700ish rifle, I've read and watched good things. Also on my radar a weatherby vanguard (I kinda like the badlands model). And if someone could explain the different vanguard models that go from $500 - $1000+, what's changing between models? (Besides stocks....are there and internal components, barrel, etc. that are different between models?)

Good problem for me to have right now....deciding what to do with free money to go gun shopping with!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
I have a Weatherby Vanguard Backcountry and the main difference as you pointed out is the stock (which IMO is a big upgrade) but also a fluted barrel and bolt. Also, the finish (Cerakote) is upgraded as well.

Last edited:

Forest

WKR
The ridge has a heavier contoured barrel and is threaded vs the hunter. Nice rifles and seem to be much better than the modern day remington 700s.
The difference among the vanguards is stocks (sometimes just color sometimes better quality), barrel contour, fluted, cerkoted etc. If you want a vanguard theres a good chance they make one setup the way you want.
Both are good options with the bergara the one id choose personally.
Another tikka would be better yet imo.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk