I won the lottery!

KineKilla

WKR
Glad you've found some. Watching intently as I await the start of my own Ut. Goat hunt next month.

I'm sure you'll get a dandy!

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk

OP
cody21peterson
5082b0a5cdc1900ead8a7a5a0501eba6.jpg

Shots fired!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
cody21peterson
Ok so I went up the mountain Thursday night with my dad. Very special cause he has never come on an archery hunt with me. He wanted to glass for me. We bought radios and planned to find some goats and do spot and stalk. Friday morning we drive up this nasty road to the saddle I was at opening weekend. It’s made for a side by side but luckily my Toyota Tacoma made it up with no major damage. We get out of the truck and walk 5 minutes when dad spots a goat! Nice billy about 250 yards away feeding high on this slope. I started my stalk up to him but he fed into the cliffs and disappeared before I could get halfway. We go back to camp for lunch. It’s pushing 90 degrees. We go back up to the same spot for the evening. I am sitting right where we saw the goat that morning and dad is across the canyon with the spotting scope. I am glassing the peak above him and he is glassing the peak above me. A few hours go by and I finally see a goat come out about 40 yards from the peak. It’s about 6:00. I radio dad and tell him I found a goat. We meet down in the middle of the saddle. He gets eyes on the goat, I drop my pack and start heading up the mountain. I have to climb about 500 feet to reach him. Dad is giving my updates on the radio. “Still feeding. Moved 10 yards up. Now he’s bedded”. I start to feel excited! I get to about 120 yards away from the goat. I take my boots off so I can be more quiet. This is the first time I have ever tried this and I wouldn’t recommend it in goat country but my black Ovis socks held up pretty good. I sneak to about 80 yards directly below the goat. I think the goat can see me peak around a tree but he doesn’t move. I creep up to 50 yards and get behind a group of pines. As I’m peaking around left I see him stand and take a few steps to the right. I hurry and sidestep to the right of the pines and see him standing quartering hard to me at 50 yards. I draw back. It’s a steep 31 degree slope uphill. My Garmin drops the pin at 42. I am debating do I shoot him to the right of the shoulder in the chest or left or the shoulder and try to get back of the lungs. Keep in mind I just switched my arrow setup yesterday. I went from 300 spine fmj and grim reaper fixed blade (540 gr) to a 340 axis with sevr 2.0 (400 gr). I went from 75 yards max in my Garmin to 93 yards max. So I really want to avoid that shoulder. Right as I’m about to shoot he takes a half step and turns slightly more broadside. I bury the pin and pull. Smack! First time I’ve ever heard that sound! He immediately runs. My dad watches as he goes about 75 yards and over the ridge. I was shaking! I could not believe it! I wait a few minutes and go up to look for my arrow. It’s about 8:00 now, almost dark. I could not find the arrow or any blood! I thought the shot was money. It looked a touch low but I knew it hit. Dad hikes up and we look for blood for almost 2 hours. Nothing. We decide to back out and come back in the morning. I didn’t sleep very well at all as you can imagine. I played the shot over and over in my head. I was beating myself up for not putting lighted nocks on my new arrows. At first light dad goes back to where he was spotting. He guides me to the spot where the goat went over the ridge. I look over and my heart drops. It’s a way steep slope going down over 1000 feet. I thought to myself “we are never going to find him. He’s gone”. After sitting in disbelief and depression for 5 minutes I decide that I’m just gonna walk around for miles all day and keep looking. After about 30 minutes I had zig zagged down the slope about 60 yards. I looked down at this rock and I see 3 little drops of blood
2be45a421b9885e3c88160c783a9eb9b.jpg

Are you kidding me!? I was shocked. God clearly had his hand in this process. I see a few drops every few feet going south side hill. I follow the trail for about 150 yards. Blood staying pretty consistent. The weekend earlier my uncle and I discovered this weird wooden bike jump looking thing.
4b01a8b72046d6a7c6bc52d5df464250.jpg

I walk over and see blood on it!
08603fbcba29119cb7c8532a76e68e77.jpg

I then look down and see this
09c064f7465559f548d6593bb8c0c0fc.jpg

I found him! Goat down!
bd05085cbe211c93bb81cadcef6185b3.jpg

One little pine tree saved him from rolling all the way down the mountain!
9b6e7ea6c55e28d6606e7265625cad51.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow. Great story and congratulations. Thanks for keeping us posted. So cool for you to share all this. Its almost like being there. Definitely one you will never forget.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk