I won the lottery!

Hey guys so I got a call yesterday from the Utah fish and game saying someone surrendered their mountain goat tag and I was next in line! I couldn’t believe it! It’s a central mountains nebo archery only hunt. August 15th to September 4th. I only have 1 week to prepare! I’m scrambling but I don’t want to squander this once in a lifetime opportunity. This will be my 7th season bowhunting and I have not filled a tag yet. I’m hoping my first archery kill is a big billy! I will post pics and share updates. Any tips or advice from former goat hunters would be much appreciated. I just had brain surgery last November so I’m not at my peak physical shape but I feel good enough to hunt. Wish me luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
cody21peterson
5cabd17ac3b4f6c028bf4c9cfe131603.jpg

Quick gear list:
Exo 4800
Prime rize 70 lbs
Easton fmj 300 spine
Grim reaper 3 blade
Teton sports 1 man tent
Kelty 20 degree sleeping bag
Leupold 12x52 alpine binos
Vortex 20x60 Diamondback spotter
Vortex ss Tripod
Black Ovis merino long sleeve
Optimus stove
Black Ovis game bags
Kenetrek boots
Black Diamond trekking poles

Planning to camp Friday Saturday and Sunday opening weekend

Pack weight is around 45 pounds including 3 days of food and 2 liters of water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk’s

Last edited:

mncoolbeans

Lil-Rokslider
What an instant gift to you, Congrats.........Hope you have great success and get your goat. Talk about some great memories.

Legend

WKR
Congrats! That time of year the big billies are usually solo or at least not with the kids/nannies. I arrowed a great Billy by simply being patient. Finding them is the easy part, it takes a lot of patience to wait for one to be in a stockable position. Practice steep uphill and downhill shots.

Good luck

Rob5589

WKR
Congrats and good luck! A goat is definitely a dream hunt for me. Don't forget to come back with a post hunt wrap up.

hewittja

FNG
Good luck!! That is a good call to get and would appreciate getting to see some pictures of your hunt!