I would love to hunt this year

FFBowhunter

Lil-Rokslider
I recently started at a new fire department which means I cannot take any vacation this year. I typically hunt WA state but there dates do not align with my shift schedule. I have never hunted Idaho but it looks like that may be my only option at this point. I figured I will put in for a controlled hunt not expecting to draw but if I do great. I can only hunt Oct 26-31. So with my limited time is the trip worth it and what part of the state should I start looking. I have been looking at ghost but I figured I would attempt to seek some advice here.

I can't tell you a specific spot to start but I'd narrow it down to areas you could spend some time scouting within a reasonable drive time. Even without vacation days you should be able to scout several areas unless you have other obligations

A lot of Idaho's general otc hunts run Oct 10-24. That'll help you narrow down units to the ones that are still open on the 26th-31st.

You definitely can have a good hunt. Check out the success rates online and google maps to see how rugged the country is. If you're into rugged wilderness areas, look at 19, 26, or 27. A little more accessible are 39, 43, or 32. Mostly just pick one and go for it.

Get high and glass. Don't try to hunt at 9,000 feet because it will get sketchy with snow but the 6,000 to 8,000 range is usually good at that time to catch big bucks that are starting to migrate. Good luck.

Mark86

Lil-Rokslider
I love hunting Idaho! Like others have mentioned 26,27, 20, 20a, 36, 36a...those units and probably a few others make up the Frank Church River of no return Wilderness area. It's the largest continuous wilderness in the lower 48. Its big country, a lot of fun and has a pretty long General season open through 10/31. I usually don't have time to scout it other than google earth but that can save you quite a bit of time. Buuuut on the other hand I don't think I'd recommend going in there solo your first time you lose cell service way before you get to hunting areas and a few clouds get in the way and sat phones become pretty useless lol if Would your work schedule allow weekday hunts in WA? Why not just hunt locally on your days off. If you want some details feel free to DM me I'll help if I can