Ibex Archery

Wtwallin

FNG
My buddy drew a tag this year so we headed down to the Florida Mountains in New Mexico, where we both live. I've hiked and hunted a lot of the mountain ranges around NM but the Floridas are a special type of mountain. Steep terrain, loose soil, and rock slides is what your trying to stock animals in and then almost every plant, from the cat's claw acacia to the cactus, and yuccas, is trying to stab you. We weren't able to get on a goat this year but we got a look at a couple of nice billies, about 350 yards out! A tough hunt, a serious challenge, and a lot of fun. Just thought I'd share. Good luck on the draw this year!20190126_115156.jpg20190126_073533.jpg20190126_073743.jpg

jdhmhatch

FNG
My buddy drew a tag this year so we headed down to the Florida Mountains in New Mexico, where we both live. I've hiked and hunted a lot of the mountain ranges around NM but the Floridas are a special type of mountain. Steep terrain, loose soil, and rock slides is what your trying to stock animals in and then almost every plant, from the cat's claw acacia to the cactus, and yuccas, is trying to stab you. We weren't able to get on a goat this year but we got a look at a couple of nice billies, about 350 yards out! A tough hunt, a serious challenge, and a lot of fun. Just thought I'd share. Good luck on the draw this year!View attachment 87154View attachment 87152View attachment 87153
I did this hunt a few years ago and had a blast. Shot a really nice billy with my bow. Did yall see any lions?

What a cool looking adventure. Seems like a hunt only a billy goat could do (pun intended!!). Thanks for sharing your photos and story. NM sure does have some pretty unique opportunities for sure!!

hunter4life

Lil-Rokslider
Numbers of ibex on the mountain are way, way down from even 2 years ago. Will be a much tougher hunt this next year with a lot fewer animals on the mountain.

FLAK

WKR
A few years ago it seemed NM declared an eradication proclamation on Ibex and Aoudad. Dont understand it.

Trial153

WKR
A few years ago it seemed NM declared an eradication proclamation on Ibex and Aoudad. Dont understand it.
Makes sense if its possible and they are a Detriment to native Flora and fauna.

Trial153

WKR
Lets get rid of those nasty Pheasant while we're at it.
Like stated above if it's possible( feasible) , and if they are a Detriment to native flora and fauna it might be desirable in some ecosystems.

Scientific evidence doesn't point to non native ungulates lessening floral diversity in the long term if predators exist.

The key is long term. The dynamic equilibrium in the short term is obviously upset.

But big picture the Florida's even after 49 years of ibex are not radically different in floral/fauna composition compared to say the peloncillo, the big hatchets, Animas, or even Cookes peak range.

I do think that the states a bit short sided handing out so many bow tags. Kiowa outfitters and other basically herd the goats via radio and advise clients to take really unethical shots. Danger in the air as they call it.

I don't think at this current juncture NM is trying to eradicate any of the introduced species, but they are at a crossroads.. manage for opportunity, revenue, or make way for native species.. it's too bad the ibex didn't take on the Canadian river and more Tahr didn't establish themselves on MT Taylor.

And for the record I don't think ibex. Have really established outside of the Floridas. Spent a bit of time chasing rumors in the hatchets and tres amigo's.

Fishn4eyes

Lil-Rokslider
I got lucky and drew the rifle tag down there in '12.

It was a great hunt and I got a nice billy, just a hair over 43".

Saw some bigger ones and numbers were good then but have heard they are WAY down as other posters have commented.

And to the guys who stuck one with a bow, a tip of the hat to you! Those buggers are cagey and that is a helluva accomplishment.