Ice axe for goat hunting

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Last year I saw around rockslide that some people were using an ice axe for goat and sheep or general mountain hunting. The idea was that it gave you a safety margin in steeper snow covered slopes and worked an an awesome all around tool for clearing rocks from tent sites, walking stick (if you had a long enough one) etc.

I ended up buying an SMC Capra 100cm axe and used it this year. I found it to be an awesome tool for hunting, I used it almost as much as my trekking poles, I don’t think I’ll hunt without it in the mountains from here on out.

Who else here uses an ice axe for these hunts, in what capacity do you use it and what axe do you use???

It really upped my level of confidence on steeper ground (yes I know how to use it for a proper self arrest), it worked as a walking stick of sorts and like I mentioned earlier, it was a great tool around camp.

What do you all think???

as.ks.ak

WKR
I’m assuming you’ve read this...

ice ax and crampons

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FlyGuy

WKR
No experience with one yet. I ordered one of the black diamond ones off of goHunt when they were running that Christmas sale late last year, but I haven’t even taken it outside yet.

I did draw a NM 2nd archery ibex Tag (!!!!) last week tho, and after watching a few videos from “The Rock” I think it’s going to see some use this season. That place is ridiculous.

(Btw, that link in the post above didn’t work for me)

You can’t cheat the mountain

bcimport

WKR
I find my long walking Axe to be a fantastic mountain tool. I can use it much more aggressively than poles. I also like being able to dig steps in steep slopes (dirt or snow). I swing it in and dig the pick in and pull myself in real steep country. Found it good for pulling rocks out from under my tent too.

as.ks.ak

WKR

Here, this should work!

Last edited:

carter33

WKR
I have the same SMC ice axe and have used it a bit just on hikes so far. I may bring it on a coastal black bear hunt which requires a lot of very steep hiking/climbing through extremely dense vegetation to include devils club. Last hunt I saw goats lower than black bears actually but I think we were a bit early. Not only do I think it may help as a walking stick of sorts but also to push some of the thicker brush out of the way. I think the 100cm is the longest I have seen but I do wish it was just slightly taller, on the hikes iv taken it on it is great going uphill but just a little short going downhill, I am about 5'10 for reference.

I picked up a couple a little over a year ago and used them a fair amount on training hikes, etc., just to get used to carrying one. I used one almost exclusively, in place of my trekking poles, this last sheep season and found it to be a very valuable tool.
ee224d66d663015a69ba4346deaf38f6.jpg

I use the Black Diamond Whippet. I haven't looked for a few years, but as of a few years ago I couldn't find an ice axe over 100 cm. So it wouldn't work as a walking pole for me because of my height. I would prefer an ice axe, but I'm not going to carry two trekking poles and an ice axe and the whippet hasn't failed me yet. And I've needed to use it several times to brace myself. This retrieval wasn't happening without the support of an axe/whippet. My Goat Where She Died.JPG

Last edited:

colersu22

WKR
Brown bear on here uses one all the time and has a good thread about this subject.

jmden

WKR
Have probably hiked/approached/climbed thousands of miles with an ice axe over the years. I don't see much advantage over a good set of trekking poles, in most typical hunting situations. Virtually all my hunts are in steep, high alpine, designated wilderness areas. If traveling on steep snow or scree slopes for a hunt, yes, of course. But unless there's that issue, trekking poles are generally going to increase your efficiency quite a bit more. JMHO.

Have probably hiked/approached/climbed thousands of miles with an ice axe over the years. I don't see much advantage over a good set of trekking poles, in most typical hunting situations. Virtually all my hunts are in steep, high alpine, designated wilderness areas. If traveling on steep snow or scree slopes for a hunt, yes, of course. But unless there's that issue, trekking poles are generally going to increase your efficiency quite a bit more. JMHO.

I don’t disagree that trekking poles are invaluable, but there are just so many uses for a walking ice axe. I still used my poles this last season, but not nearly as much since getting the axe.

OP
thinhorn_AK

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I picked up a couple a little over a year ago and used them a fair amount on training hikes, etc., just to get used to carrying one. I used one almost exclusively, in place of my trekking poles, this last sheep season and found it to be a very valuable tool.
ee224d66d663015a69ba4346deaf38f6.jpg

I remember reading one of your threads talking about axes a year or so ago, I ended up going to Anchorage mountaineering and hiking after hearing your advice.

waterrat

FNG
I never hunted sheep or goats without one. My favorite is the older wooden handle ice axe but broke a few and had a handle welded on,, my buddies painted it for me.

Attachments

• ddddd (6).JPG
    ddddd (6).JPG
    207.3 KB · Views: 140
  • 087 (2).JPG
    087 (2).JPG
    248.3 KB · Views: 135

Ftguides

Lil-Rokslider
I use the Black Diamond Whippet. I haven't looked for a few years, but as of a few years ago I couldn't find an ice axe over 100 cm. So it wouldn't work as a walking pole for me because of my height. I would prefer an ice axe, but I'm not going to carry two trekking poles and an ice axe and the whippet hasn't failed me yet. And I've needed to use it several times to brace myself. This retrieval wasn't happening without the support of an axe/whippet. View attachment 97271

All about the whippet myself. That goat is going to need the help of an experienced orthopedic surgeon.

ColeyG

WKR
As a long time mountain guide and mountaineering professional, I own a handful of ice axes and self arrest tools like the BD Whippet. Personally, I just don't see the use, or rather the benefits outweighing the costs, of taking of taking a longer, heavier ice axe on a mountain hunt. In some of the earlier threads on this topic, a few folks have offered a number tasks that you can use a mtn axe for in the context of a mtn hunt. I'd submit that many of these tasks can be accomplished just as well by a smaller, lighter tool, or that they aren't really crucial tasks to be able to perform but rather something one might use a tool for because they had the tool. Removing rocks from your tent spot for example.

That having been said, I've taken a small, lightweight axe on a few goat and sheep hunts, though I have yet to use one for climbing or self-arrest. In my experience, trekking poles are far more efficient for the vast majority of the terrain one will encounter on these types of hunts. If you have chosen well, they are also significantly lighter than a long ice axe. Carbon fiber poles are light and extremely durable. They are also a lot quieter when scraping along in the rocks and talus.

For the sake of speaking the same language, I define a "long" axe as one that is longer than 70cm. For most average height dudes 5'10" to 6'2"-ish, an axe 70cm or shorter won't be useful as a "walking stick" until you are on 30+ degree terrain.

Again speaking personally, I can't think of any niche application that would make a long heavy axe worth taking, even on a trip where I may not have to carry it for 50-100 miles. Most of my mountain hunts involve lots of up and down and long mileage days and so I tend to be very picky with what I choose to carry along for the ride. I put a lot of emphasis on versatility and need vs. want.

When heading into goat or sheep country, I typically find myself choosing between the following options:

1) trekking poles only,

2) one whippet and a trekking pole, or

3) trekking poles and a small, light axe

I go with trekking poles only when I don't expect to have to cross any snow or ice with consequential runouts or hazards I could slide into.

I go with the pole + whippet when I might expect to cross a short but steep snow or ice patch or two, or perhaps traverse a low angle glacier. I also have a 35cm ultralight axe that I cut down I'll bring along for certain types of missions as well, again typically longer traverses of low angle terrain where I want a self arrest tool, but may not want to deal with a whippet for the duration of the trip.

I'll go for the more functional climbing sized axe (65-70cm) and crampons when I might expect to find myself climbing on or traversing longer, steeper (30+ degrees) sections of now and/or glacier ice above consequential terrain.

No hard feelings towards those that like to lug the long stick along and I totally get it. If you have become comfortable with that tool as part of your mountain kit, more power to ya. Personally I find them heavy, unwieldy, noisy, and less suited for a number of tasks as compared to other small, lighter tools. First and foremost ice axes are snow and ice climbing tools, and self arrest tools. A longer axe actually makes both of these applications, climbing and self-arresting, quite a bit more difficult if not dangerous as compared to the more common sizes used in mountaineering.

In my experience thus far, there just isn't that much steep snow and ice climbing "typical" goat and sheep hunts. Can you seek it out. Of course, and going into difficult terrain where others can't, won't or shouldn't can be good strategy if you have the skills to do so safely. Winter in places like Kodiak or SE are certainly an exceptions to my "typical" comment and having an axe along for snow, ice, and frozen turf in those conditions would be mandatory in my opinion.

There is long list of very good reasons the "alpenstock" faded from favor in the world of mountaineering many, many years ago. They were functional, even revolutionary in their time, but that was a long time ago.

With regard to brands, lots of companies make a wide range of quality axes and crampons. I am partial to Grivel and Black Diamond for axes and crampons. I tent towards to the lighter but less durable aluminum models for mountain hunts where self arrest (vs climbing) is the larger consideration. I like strap-on aluminum crampons for applications where I would only expect to use them on snow and ice. They dull easily and steel would be a better bet for turf and frozen rocky terrain.

Grumman

WKR
I’ve wanted to give the SMC 100cm a shot if they ever come back in stock.

I guess it depends on where you’re going... I’ve done 9 goat hunts and packed a few more than that off the Mtn and I’ve “needed” an ice axe exactly zero times.

That said, I’ll be hard pressed to go goat hunting without the telescoping Stubai ice axe deal....

I have a BD Whippet or whatever, the tag is still on it.

bmf0713

WKR
I’ve wanted to give the SMC 100cm a shot if they ever come back in stock.

I was just looking at them after reading this thread. And emailed the company. They said they are not making the Capra anymore but they are gonna have the Kobah in 100cm this spring.