Ice axe for goat hunting

OP
thinhorn_AK

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Barney’s Sports Chalet and Alaska Mountaineering and Hiking in Anchorage have them in stock. They’re about $100.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think I got the last one from Alaska mountaineering and hiking. I got one from them about 2-3 weeks ago so I’d have a second one in case and they said they didn’t know if they could get any more after that one sold. For the record it was 93 dollars and they sent it to me for 14 bucks.

Bighorse

WKR
Anchors for rope work...
I like an Ice Axe in goat country for steep vegi terrain. I'll sink it to use as a hand hold or foot step when necessary. I also use it on the downhill side of steep stuff to get a better foot placement is bad spots.
I've kicked out a few footsteps with em too in steep shaded icy spots when being sneaky in glaciated icy spots.
Handy when you decide to risk your life in the high country.

Or even some less dangerous stuff like digging out a hole to drop a deuce, or quickly digging a trench around the perimeter of your shelter, to create a French drain in a downpour or extended periods of rain.

Roper

FNG
Does anyone have an experience with the Stubai Tour ice axe? or is that what you mean by walking Ice axe?

OP
thinhorn_AK

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Barney’s Sports Chalet and Alaska Mountaineering and Hiking in Anchorage have them in stock. They’re about $100.

Barney’s might, I got the last one from AMH, they said they didn’t know if they could get more, maybe they did though.

Jimss

WKR
Where I've hunted in Alaska and Colorado I had no need for an ice axe. My preference is trekking poles. They telescope super short and are a lot lighter weight. I haven't hunted around glaciers and snow/ice. I am usually trying find ways to lighten my pack rather than lugging around more! It's just one more thing to haul in luggage up to Alaska! If you are using an ice axe much while hunting you likely are in some nasty spots where you shouldn't really be...especially if hunting in super isolated location that you fly or hike a day or 2 into? Billies tend to come out of super rough cliffs to feed so it may be worth waiting rather than risking life and limb?