Ice Axe Size

tdot

WKR
This thread got me to thinking more about the length of axe to use on an upcoming hunt. I could see pros and cons to different lengths and have tried different lengths in snow/mountaineering conditions, but not while hiking on dry ground.

So as part of my training hikes I've taken some rental axes out to try. Probably 25miles total.

I'm 6', had 50lb pack on and conditions were everything from loose snow/rock mix, to loose soil or boulders, hardpack dirt, granite and wooden steps. It was all steep, wet or frozen conditions that I would consider using an axe as a benefit over trekking poles. I had trekking poles with me and switched to them for the flatter sections.

I tried a 90cm, 80cm, and 60cm.

I have to admit the 90cm did not work for me. It was ok for ascending, but not great. Too short to position behind me and too tall to have in front. Ok as a walking cane. Too long when it came to descending with it beside/behind me but not long enough to have in front. I had a pole set at 120cm and liked that for use in front.

80cm was similar but became better for descending. And a bit better for ascending while positioning it in front or beside. Probably the most versatile size for me.

60cm was awesome for ascending, with it in front and rarely beside me. Side hill was good. Descending was better if I kept it behind me, but could only use it in front or beside in the steepest terrain.

Key take away for me was that I like to keep my body and pack weight leaning into the slope (only a few degrees). I do not like to lean out over a pole or axe. As a result, the axe stays in my uphill hand and is often used as a stabilizer leaning back into the mountain as I descend. As a result anything over 80cm is not going to work for me. Body position is hugely important and probably defines the required length as much as user height.

I will be using this as a compliment to trekking poles, not a replacement.

I found the 80cm to be the most versatile, but at 75cm and lower there are some considerably lighter options available. Below 65cm they become crazy light. But I didnt feel the 60cm was as useful. So I've ordered a 75cm Black Diamond Raven Pro. Super nice head to hold without gloves on and reasonably light.

never.truly.lost

Lil-Rokslider

heres the answer to all your problems

Hey JP,

This looks about perfect. Have you used this one in the hills yet? Curious how stiff/rigid it is when extended, and general thoughts compared to a fixed length axe.

This is pretty much ideal as far as features, but interested in some first hand experience prior to ordering.

Thanks,
Andy

Last edited:

Bruce Culberson

Lil-Rokslider
Extendable is nice but in my mind that also means capable of collapsing at inopportune times.

If you are worried about collapsing....On one hunt I had a twist lock on my trekking pole break. I taped below the joint and then over the join with duct tape. No amount of weight would cause it to slip. Not easy to adjust obviously, but would work for set it & forget it.

tdot

WKR
I dont know that I'd like carbon in the handle, I don't mind it in poles, but part of my reason for going to an ice axe in the steep rock is to prevent damage to the carbon in scree and rock gardens.

Now if they switched that lower section out to a couple layers of Kevlar on the outside. That could be a winner.

JP100

WKR
Hey JP,

This looks about perfect. Have you used this one in the hills yet? Curious how stiff/rigid it is when extended, and general thoughts compared to a fixed length axe.

This is pretty much ideal as far as features, but interested in some first hand experience prior to ordering.

Thanks,
Andy

I have yet to get my hands on one. They are on their 2/3 generation of design now and have been put through alot of real world testing here. I have not heard of any complaints or failures.

Granted they are not the same as a fixed axe, but neither is it the same as a pole. I think for alot of people it offers a good compromise of features.

C Bow

WKR
SMC Seattle manufacture Corp has 100 cm Ice axe I just bought one