Ice Axe Size

I'm going to purchase an ice axe soon for alpine hunts. I've been looking at sizes. What do you recommend?

I am leaning towards the actual height-based recommendation for ice axes for mountaineering rather than the trend some guys go with here of the long ones that are almost trekking pole size. The reason is I've seen it recommended that you use the smaller size for manuevering in the case of actual need to stop a fall. I do think the long ones would be a little too unwieldly self arresting. I would use a trekking pole in the other hand and I'm normally pretty okay with one trekking pole on more mild terrain.

I appreciate your thoughts.

as.ks.ak

WKR
Any concerns regarding self arrest with that length? Probably good for a walking stick.

So I’ve actually had to self arrest one time in a snow field. For me I didn’t notice it adversely effecting my ability to slow down in my decent towards doom. If you can roll over and really get your weight on the head of the axe, you’ll stop. I use mine as a million other things than just a self arrest device, so to me that’s kind of just a bonus function. If you read these other two threads, one has some good pictures and the other a few guys expand on why/what they use them for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
I
So I’ve actually had to self arrest one time in a snow field. For me I didn’t notice it adversely effecting my ability to slow down in my decent towards doom. If you can roll over and really get your weight on the head of the axe, you’ll stop. I use mine as a million other things than just a self arrest device, so to me that’s kind of just a bonus function. If you read these other two threads, one has some good pictures and the other a few guys expand on why/what they use them for.

Great insight. Thanks. And yes I’ve read the other threads.

Wingert

FNG
I haven't been able to locate a 100 cm length ice axe. My Google searches have only found a 90 cm as the longest.

Would you mind posting where you were able buy the 100 cm and the brand/model?

Thanks
Wingert

I haven't been able to locate a 100 cm length ice axe. My Google searches have only found a 90 cm as the longest.

Would you mind posting where you were able buy the 100 cm and the brand/model?

Thanks
Wingert
Barney's Sports Chalet and Alaska Mountaineering and Hiking both in Anchorage. They are made in WA.
Here's a different model but made by the same company and 100cm.

OP
I
Barney's Sports Chalet and Alaska Mountaineering and Hiking both in Anchorage. They are made in WA.

Thanks AK. Any concerns about self arrest with the longer ax?

Thanks AK. Any concerns about self arrest with the longer ax?
No, not really, but I'm not too much of a risk taker anymore and I've never had to use it to self arrest. If there's a serious threat of injury, I will avoid it at all costs, as far as I'm concerned, no goat or sheep is worth risking my life for. For me, that philosophy holds true with just about every aspect of my mountain hunting. I avoid going down steep terrain (especially with a pack), and opt to take the longer way around if that is the safer alternative. I also don't carry super heavy packs anymore either, I just make more trips instead. Mountain hunting solo up here can be a pretty serious endeavor, especially if you're in a remote area, and even some of the lesser injuries can be life threatening in some cases. I also wear some sort of crampon (microspikes, or whatever), a lot of the time and they help considerably in keeping the soles of your boots firmly planted to the mountain.

OP
I
I value your thoughts. Thanks for sharing. So, to confirm, you would feel confident in using the ice axe if needed?

I’m like you I don’t go for the particularly sketchy areas but sometimes an area is a little worse than expected once you’re on the slope.

I value your thoughts. Thanks for sharing. So, to confirm, you would feel confident in using the ice axe if needed?

I’m like you I don’t go for the particularly sketchy areas but sometimes an area is a little worse than expected once you’re on the slope.
I do think that something with a shorter handle would probably be a little easier to maneuver around in order to get on top of, but I don't think that the long handle would make it too difficult.

tdot

WKR
I've used shorter axes, and longer axes. There are definite pros and cons to each. But they are pretty easy to adapt to either way.

The length is dependent on both your overall height and your arm length.

The short ones I found better for ascending, the longer ones for working with (using the adze) and descending.

I've only self arrested with shorter axes. Both times we were roped up and it was a guy behind me who went down... silently. There was such a flailing of gear, arm, ropes and packs, that any extra length would have sucked... turns out he was high and thought it was funny. So I don't know how that relates to a normal situation.

OP
I
I've used shorter axes, and longer axes. There are definite pros and cons to each. But they are pretty easy to adapt to either way.

The length is dependent on both your overall height and your arm length.

The short ones I found better for ascending, the longer ones for working with (using the adze) and descending.

I've only self arrested with shorter axes. Both times we were roped up and it was a guy behind me who went down... silently. There was such a flailing of gear, arm, ropes and packs, that any extra length would have sucked... turns out he was high and thought it was funny. So I don't know how that relates to a normal situation.

Thanks. Also, being roped to someone that's high in any kind of alpine environment seems about as advisable as Russian Roulette. Wow, glad you're around.

tdot

WKR
It was the last time I did anything in the mountains with the University Mountaineering Club. It was an epic trip for failures and f-ups. I'd love to say that was the worst thing that happened.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"

have you tried that Koba axe yet??? I have a Capra still but I was just messi g around and looks like you can get that one shipped to AK for free.

have you tried that Koba axe yet??? I have a Capra still but I was just messi g around and looks like you can get that one shipped to AK for free.

No, I have the 100 cm Capra also that I’ve been happy with, and I don’t really see any advantage to that newer version. Plus I like the pretty blue handle better anyway.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
No, I have the 100 cm Capra also that I’ve been happy with, and I don’t really see any advantage to that newer version. Plus I like the pretty blue handle better anyway.

I don’t really have a need for the new one either, I was just thinking because I tried to get another Capra but just couldn’t find one anywhere, I got the last one AMH had. Figured I might try the new one just as a backup.

Jimss

WKR
I guess I'm a minimalist and see no reason to lug a larger and little heavier ice axe around instead of a pair of trekking poles.....at least when hunting in no snow or ice. I've been on 4 sheep and goat hunts in Alaska and numerous sheep/goat hunts in the lower 48 and never needed anything more than trekking poles. As mentioned above, if you are putting yourself in a position where an ice axe is needed when there is no snow or ice you shouldn't be there! When I put my wrist through trekking poles I can really torgue on them inside the handle....similar to what I do when downhill skiing. Not sure you can do this same thing with an axe?

If hunting in a lot of snow and ice I can see the advantage to an ice axe but when hunting without snow or ice? I would think some type of cramp-ons or rubber/metal pull-ons would almost be more important than an axe in slippery conditions?