Ice axe vs whippet vs trekking poles?

tdot

WKR
6e6aa1a4a757201a9f3e5ce52c80216c.plist
20163f644f2ea7cce8187e3af0c18b4c.plist

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the pics. Is that the most common mode of failure? The rubber strap itself tearing? I'd expected to see the metal loops tearing out.

Thanks for the pics. Is that the most common mode of failure? The rubber strap itself tearing? I'd expected to see the metal loops tearing out.

That’s the biggest issue I have had with these newer models. The grommets commonly tore out on the older models.

NMO

FNG
The only thing that’d make those telescoping ones better is if they were snap locks instead of that twist BS. Have you had any issues with it slipping if you were to slip and need to put all your weight on the pole?

Broke mine after a Feb goat hunt and half a season guiding. Snapped off right at the junction. Did have some issues with the twist lock on the telescoping lower. Liked the idea of a variable height trekking axe, but in the end it wasn't nearly as durable as I'd hoped. The SMC Capra walking ice axe is far more robust, and lighter than the stubai. Unfortunately it is a bastard to pack around while trailing with horses.

as.ks.ak

WKR
Broke mine after a Feb goat hunt and half a season guiding. Snapped off right at the junction. Did have some issues with the twist lock on the telescoping lower. Liked the idea of a variable height trekking axe, but in the end it wasn't nearly as durable as I'd hoped. The SMC Capra walking ice axe is far more robust, and lighter than the stubai. Unfortunately it is a bastard to pack around while trailing with horses.

Nolan don’t try and fool anyone here. You don’t do any walking around. You ride those horses right up to the sheep!! You prolly don’t even need an ice axe.

ChrisAU

WKR
I had used trail crampons extensively my last time out in CO as I have terrible balance, really gave me a lot of confidence going up rock slides and were particularly useful walking on deadfall. At first I put them on when my boots simply wouldn't get me up a dirt ledge that was 4-5' tall, but later left them on after putting them on for a slippery section of ice covered rock. Snowline Chainsen Trail's, after washing them off they still look brand new. Lightest option I could find too, my XL's are 7.45 oz for the pair.