I’d like to cut some oz... Looking for a new scope.

I’m a buy once cry once/fear the man with one gun kind of guy. I’ve got a TL3 that I build up as my go to long range/hunting rifle. The TL3 I can swap from a pre fit 6.5 barrel, SAUM/WSM barrel, to a 223 barrel in my basement. I can throw on a cheap savage pre fit for long days at the range or a shouldered proof carbon for the mountains or the field. I like that I compete with, plink with, and hunt with the same rifle across the board.

The scope she currently wears is a 5-20 Razor HD. That scope has more than a few bumps and has served me well, but at 37 oz it’s a bit of a boat anchor and clunky to boot. I could drop half a pound easy by switching up to an AMG.

I like a lot of things about the AMG. 28.8 oz. Locking turrets (this is a big plus to me.) Excellent glass. Excellent warranty. 40% off military discount. The one and only thing I don’t like is the lower end magnification. 6x just seems like a lot for that occasional snap shot through timber. I was really hoping they would come out with a 3-18 AMG this year but alas that didn’t happen.

All that said I’m open to other brands. Less than 30 oz is a must. Mag range capabilities for long range shooting, but better low end magnification would be preferred. Zero stop is a must, but locking turrets would be preferred. Of course excellent glass.

I’m a pretty loyal vortex guy due to their warranty and their discount, but I stick to their high end products. That said I know there are some other optics out there that are worth a look.

OP
B
What is your budget? I have a few ideas on scopes in the 29 oz range.

I'd like to keep it under 2k, but this would be a long term purchase goal for 2020 so I am open to anything.

NF NX8 line looks really nice... would be torn between the 4-32 and the 2.5-20. 4x would seem fine on the bottom end for a primarily long range/western rifle, but not sure I would really ever need 32x other than shooting groups... Don't like the fact that there are no locking turrets, but the AMG seems long in the tooth compared to the NX8 line.

archp625

WKR
I'd like to keep it under 2k, but this would be a long term purchase goal for 2020 so I am open to anything.

NF NX8 line looks really nice... would be torn between the 4-32 and the 2.5-20. 4x would seem fine on the bottom end for a primarily long range/western rifle, but not sure I would really ever need 32x other than shooting groups... Don't like the fact that there are no locking turrets, but the AMG seems long in the tooth compared to the NX8 line.
You read my mind. I was going to say Nightforce NX8. Thats up to you on what high and low end you want. For less money the SHV line is hard to beat as well.

Neither have locking turrets but they do have zero stop of zero set.

archp625

WKR
You read my mind. I was going to say Nightforce NX8. Thats up to you on what high and low end you want. For less money the SHV line is hard to beat as well.

Neither have locking turrets but they do have zero stop of zero set.
I also want to throw in a caveat. I'm sure there are other scopes that would fit your needs that are just as nice or nicer but I can only speak to scopes that I have used or use now. I currently am running a 5-20 x 56 SHV on my hunting rifle. That's all my wife budget would allow me.

OP
B
Still leaning AMG...

Apparently the NX8 doesn’t have range hashes for the AO adjustment. Big deal? No, but I like to be able to quickly get in the ballpark.

Glass is probably sharper on the AMG throughout its range.

Though I’d still like 5x or lower on the low mag, 6x has been a popular fixed scope power for hunting for a long time. For 95% of what this rifle is for, it won’t be an issue. The AMG still has excellent FOV on 6X, better than a lot of scopes with lower magnification.

To top it off it’s got the locking turrets I like.

Still not against other brands, but those are my thoughts at this point.

I’d like to buy/build a dedicated super light mountain gun at some point, undoubtedly the NX8 2.5-20 would be ideal for that.

Still leaning AMG...

Apparently the NX8 doesn’t have range hashes for the AO adjustment. Big deal? No, but I like to be able to quickly get in the ballpark.

Glass is probably sharper on the AMG throughout its range.

Though I’d still like 5x or lower on the low mag, 6x has been a popular fixed scope power for hunting for a long time. For 95% of what this rifle is for, it won’t be an issue. The AMG still has excellent FOV on 6X, better than a lot of scopes with lower magnification.

To top it off it’s got the locking turrets I like.

Still not against other brands, but those are my thoughts at this point.

I’d like to buy/build a dedicated super light mountain gun at some point, undoubtedly the NX8 2.5-20 would be ideal for that.

Man, there isn't much about the NX8 that I like over the AMG besides the fact it's made by NF and the lower minimum magnification. I'm pretty gunshy about super high mag range scopes, they usually come with compromises and the juice hasn't been worth the squeeze IMO.

I had the same reservations as you concerning the the mag range on the AMG. But I am glad I decided to buy one last year. It may only go down to 6x but the FOV at 6x is much bigger and nicer than I expected. I feels like a 4x to me. Tunnel vision is pretty much non existent with this scope and the glass is excellent. Only negative I can say which hasn't been a problem for me is the eye box is tight and not super forgiving. It has tracked and dialed true and has been great to me over the last year. I don't see myself getting rid of it anytime soon. IMO, the only other scope I would choose to fit similar needs would be an NX8 4-32×50. Next inline if the budget was lower would be a Maven RS3 5-30×50.

Tac Beard

FNG
The Mark 5HD 3.6-18 has a lot of devotees in the hunting world. Great scope if you like the reticle options.

NF NX8 seems like another great choice. You could always mark your parallax knob yourself, if that’s important to you.

Trijicon Tenmile 3-18x44 looks very promising at ~24 oz. for a full featured FFP scope. Especially tempting at $1599 MAP.

WHY won’t Vortex build a lower mag AMG? For crying out loud...

ericF

WKR
Haven't paid too much attention to the new Trijicon scope, but just looked at it after TacBeard posted about it and they also have a second focal plaine version in 3-18x50 for $1176 at 25.7 oz if you prefer SFP. This does look like a very tempting scope.

Brado16

WKR
I second the Mark 5HD however I will probably also pickup a NX8 4-32 sometime soon to compare to my Mark 5. Also, Leopold has a great promo running on Mark 5's, get a Free Kestrel Hornady 4DOF right now with purchase.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk