ID Moose worth it?

I just dont understand how thats ever possible to shoot a moose thinking its an elk. Or ever misidentifying any species. I honestly think 5-10 is reasonable for somethig like that, just because its so incresibly stupid to do. Its frusterating. Werent there like 5 or 6 moose killed/poached this year around McCall? No wonder you cant get a population built up to be able to open a hunt.. i also think theres a lot of issues with Natives being able to kill so many. Its something people dont address, and i think that has a greater affect and is not addressed at all. Ive talked to many natives that are very wlling to brag about the amount of moose theyve shot and killed in their life. And here we are fighting for a 1-12% odds of shooting our OIL Moose. And poaching also happens way more than we realize. Its very unfortunate.
My understanding of the tribes doing that is that it was becoming necessary because people were just flooding those areas and essentually ruining it for everyone. Its sucky it has to be a minetary way of restricting access... but people were just abusing the land.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk
I think it was 4 near McCall.

Mojave

WKR
Newfoundland and Alaska are the same drive distance away (well pretty close anyway).

You can hunt on your own in Alaska.

Not sure if you can in Newfoundland or not. But if you are paying $2700 for a tag, you might as well pay $5500 for a moose hunt in Newfie.

If I don't end up moving back overseas in 2021 I am going to look at doing a Newfie hunt in 2022.

bergie

Lil-Rokslider
Old thread but....the moose are still on the decline, at least in north Idaho. Seems everyone who draws a tag shoots the first bull they see with the overwhelming majority of them being sub 40" dinkers. 15 years ago would have been a completely different story.

Wrench

WKR
The shiras are targeted by the wolves. The moose never had any fears and consequently were much easier to kill.

We used to see 7 to 10 bulls a day.....now we barely see that many moose in a week.

bergie

Lil-Rokslider
The shiras are targeted by the wolves. The moose never had any fears and consequently were much easier to kill.

We used to see 7 to 10 bulls a day.....now we barely see that many moose in a week.
This is the sad truth. Even in areas without many wolves the numbers are down as well. I don't know what to make of it other than being extremely disappointed.

idahodave

WKR
From this fall. Plenty of big bulls in Idaho. One of about 20 I saw in 4 days.

dave

Attachments

• 0BF7DB78-0025-42B1-93B7-008EF8357146.jpeg
    0BF7DB78-0025-42B1-93B7-008EF8357146.jpeg
    717.2 KB · Views: 43
  • 9E3A7CFA-17A6-43FC-AA3B-5E3155C390F2.jpeg
    9E3A7CFA-17A6-43FC-AA3B-5E3155C390F2.jpeg
    648 KB · Views: 40

WRO

WKR
Nope not worth it, better off to apply in Utah and Wyoming ..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think it depends where you are in the state. I notice far fewer bull moose in the panhandle than I used to. I spend a lot of time elk hunting and used to run into several bulls a season that I'd put my OIL tag on. In the last 3-4 years I don't think I've seen one (in the daylight). Did see a good one when coming out at night. As a resident, it has made me concerned about putting in for a unit that I've waited many years for an not getting the bull I'd hoped. Sad state of affairs.

I did see a good bull someone shot this year in the panhandle, but they're few and far between. Talking with that person, it wasn't even the one they were targeting, they just happened across it by focusing on their much smaller target animal and had never seen it in the entire season or scouting before then. I know another person that didn't fill the tag because they refused to waste an OIL opportunity on a dink.

NRA4LIFE

WKR
Washington
Now 20+ years for me here and nothing. I would guess 95% or more of all people applying will never draw a bull tag in a lifetime's worth of applying here. A cow, maybe, but there's now so few tags that they are becoming impossible to draw as well. Fortunately it doesn't cost all that much to apply and there are the raffle tags.

bergie

Lil-Rokslider
I'm not feigning doom and gloom to keep others from applying so my odds are higher. I live 5 minutes from excellent moose habitat and the last time I applied for moose was in 2013. I won't apply again until I see multiple bulls per year I would be happy to tag. If you would be happy to draw a tag and shoot the first small bull you come across, then by all means apply and have a good time. If you are looking for a true once in a lifetime class animal (for moose in North Idaho, B&C minimum would be a good place to start) then I would wait until they rebound a little bit.

TheTone

WKR
Been applying for years and will probably stay in but my expectations are way down compared to when I started. As others have said numbers in the northern half of the state are way down. Brainworm and ticks are really hurting numbers

If you spend thousands and take weeks off scouting, there’s nice bulls to be had in all the units. I talked to a lot of past tag holders and folks (bios) who have worked in the area I drew before I lowered my standard and am completely satisfied harvesting the moose I did. Bigger standards mean I’ll just drop money in the future for a Yukon or Alaska hunt.

I saw maybe 6 or 7 different bulls in the main area i elk hunt this year. Maybe 1 would have broken 50”. It is certainly not what it was even 10 years ago.